NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Suggestions on the start of my build

Go down 
+4
FJ Derek
Speedrye
bigdogdewey2
MCRobertson
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

Suggestions on the start of my build Empty
PostSubject: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 1:04 am

Just thought I would drop a quick line about my mods I'm starting.....(ordering Monday) Any input on do's or dont's would be great..........

>Icon Stage 1 (extended travel)

>Light Racing UCA's

>Demello Hybrid sliders (was actually set on the round tube sliders but I think I want the extra strength of the hybrids)

>Nitto Trail Grapplers (295/70/17)

> Moto Metal 0951 17x9 (I actually wanted to keep the factory alloys and go black with em but .....)

That is it for now, I will post pics and may start a build thread......
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 2:09 am

sounds like an awesome start...although the demello "hybrids" are plenty strong...personally i think they are alot overkill...and PRICEY!!! the round tube sliders are plenty strong and unless you are planning on skipping across rocks like a rock over water...they would be all you need...in fact there are plenty of sliders out there from many different companies that are more than strong enough to handle whatever you throw at them...top that with spending $425+ shipping and maybe $75 for powder coat your up to close to $600...and your gonna be sick when you get your first scratch on them...im not saying dont get them...but i would at least look into less priced options...OBDF makes a good set...among other companies and even individuals like me who make them..

Overall..i think you are off to a great start..and i cant wait to see what you have going...by the way you should make the drive to Greensboro for the fist meet of the year next saturday...
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 3:04 am

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
sounds like an awesome start...although the demello "hybrids" are plenty strong...personally i think they are alot overkill...and PRICEY!!! the round tube sliders are plenty strong and unless you are planning on skipping across rocks like a rock over water...they would be all you need...in fact there are plenty of sliders out there from many different companies that are more than strong enough to handle whatever you throw at them...top that with spending $425+ shipping and maybe $75 for powder coat your up to close to $600...and your gonna be sick when you get your first scratch on them...im not saying dont get them...but i would at least look into less priced options...OBDF makes a good set...among other companies and even individuals like me who make them..

Overall..i think you are off to a great start..and i cant wait to see what you have going...by the way you should make the drive to Greensboro for the fist meet of the year next saturday...

I may have to try and do that...The meet I mean. I am not opposed to buying from a diffrent company just really liked the looks of the sliders. (Demello) I actually prefer the round tubes but was nervous about them being strong "enough". I will have to check out this company your speaking of and maybe even look into yours. What is the fastest way to find you sliders?
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 3:14 am

i would google. FJ Cruiser sliders....take a look at the images..you will see a buttload of different ones...

as far as the round tube sliders...believe me they are extremely strong...dont get anything with a material thickness of less than .120 (1/8")...and no less than 1 1/2" in diameter....the mounting feet in my opinion on the demellos are a bit thin ...3/16" i make mine with 3/8"...you should really try to get down to the greensboro meet...
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 am

I just Pmed OBDF to see what is what. I have looked at many sliders and the Demello was what caught my eye although I had not seen the OBDF brand. I may have to hold off on the sliders as you have raised my curiosity.Question
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 9:50 am

Most everything looks good, but if you plan to get in to the rocks much, you might want to consider spindle gussets to make sure you don't bend one. They're inexpensive and good insurance from bending an expensive part. If you go that route, the Light Racing UCAs won't work and you'd need a different UCA. Total Chaos makes some gussests that should work for you, but I don't know your wheel offset.
http://www.metaltech4x4.com/p-368-fj-cruiser-05-tacoma-04-4runner-knuckle-gussets-w-sway-bar.aspx

In the future, you could also look at some rear lower suspension links since those are prone to failure in the rocks as well. Skid plates are always helpful as well, but you can get away without them for awhile if you aren't stupid off road.

I didn't see mention of if, but I assume you're going to do a BMC (Body Mount Chop)?
Back to top Go down
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
FJ Derek

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 2:01 pm

MCRobertson wrote:
I just Pmed OBDF to see what is what. I have looked at many sliders and the Demello was what caught my eye although I had not seen the OBDF brand. I may have to hold off on the sliders as you have raised my curiosity.Question
Ive got OBDF sliders on mine and trust me... The round tubes are strong!!!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 7:48 pm

yeah ..the round tube is more than strong enough...i also build sliders MCRobertson....and mine start at $300....so just something to think about...
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 2:06 am

Rock gardens are not in my future I hope. Moderate wheeling, I didn't buy a 30000 dollar truck to tear it up. Also when and is the meet and greet you all were speaking.
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 2:46 am

And one final ? I have looked around a bit with no luck but do you guys know of anywhere on the east coast that would have my list of parts? I was going to order from Demello at a discounted price but shipping is going to kill me.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 9:12 am

The meet is this coming Saturday at DARRYLS restaurant in Greensboro,NC. Look under "group organized events". Starts at around 130 in the afternoon. It would be a great opportunity to meet a lot of FJ guys and gals all in one place...as far as east coast...not much...you're gonna have deal with ordering and have stuff delivered..I know ..costly...lol
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 11:24 am

Thanks guys. Looks like me and the wife are a maybe on the meet and greet. It's going to make me sick with all those nice rigs and my stock 08.....oh well I'm always game for meeting new ppl. Putting my order in today just gonna go with the round tube sliders from Demello. They are giving me a discount because of the bulk order to make up for shipping. Thanks to everyone for helping with some of my choices.
Back to top Go down
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
FJ Derek

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 11:30 am

Don't worry about being stock! I'm not far from stock myself and with all the stuff you've got ordered it doesn't sound like you'll be that way long! Hope you guys make it Saturday it'll be a good time for sure!
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 12:10 pm

We will have to stay the night I'm sure....Any nice places that will be close and affordable?
Back to top Go down
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
FJ Derek

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 12:12 pm

There are actually several hotels right around the area but not sure if you'd actually want to stay in them if you know what I mean. If you get on Expedia or hotels.com look for anything close to high point rd and west wendover ave.
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 12:13 pm

Yea I know what you mean. That's why I was asking. Pics online and reality once you get there is a bit diffrent sometimes.
Back to top Go down
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
FJ Derek

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 12:21 pm

For sure. Anything on wendover ave will be acceptable if your standards are the same as mine. Judging by your gun collection they are the same!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 6:58 pm

Sounds like someone else didn't get what they wanted for Xmas like me... Sometimes you have to take things into your own hands!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 10:30 pm

hey Paul...i really dont see why you cant make this weekend meet...there are several people coming from jsut as far as you are....LOL...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 11:02 pm

Don't tempt me... Mike! No really don't. I'd like to come up but it's 3.5 hours one way for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 11:07 pm

It's $75 for me just in gas.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 11:08 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
hey Paul...i really dont see why you cant make this weekend meet...there are several people coming from jsut as far as you are....LOL...
Name one.
Back to top Go down
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
FJ Derek

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 11:11 pm

paulwardinc wrote:
It's $75 for me just in gas.
Ill throw in $20 to get ya here!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 11:13 pm

ill throw in another $20....MCRobertson from Lynchburg, Va....and i cant remember his screen name but i believe he is coming from UNCW....
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 11:19 pm

if we take up gas donations to get Paul here will you join us Paulie???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on the start of my build   Suggestions on the start of my build Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggestions on the start of my build
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next