NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.

Go down 
+3
FJ Derek
DamnItsAGlasgow
SingleTrack
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SingleTrack
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
SingleTrack

How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Empty
PostSubject: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 12:44 pm

This content may be floating around out there on the forum somewhere already. If it is, feel free to delete this one so as to not clutter things ... I simply forgot where I came across this online write up.

So I wired up my Hella 700's over the weekend (yes for a week they were for show and no glow!). Not wanting to cause a fire and burn my FJ + the house down I wanted to make 100% sure I was wiring things correctly. So I searched high and low to find a great article that was simple enough for even me to read and understand (ask FJ Derek - I'm pretty slow) Idea

Here is the article ---> How To Wire Auxiliary Lights

How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Wiring10
Back to top Go down

How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Empty
PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 3:41 pm

Nice information!
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 5:27 pm

Preciate that Jon! I'll be using this when I upgrade my Hella p500ps
Back to top Go down
SingleTrack
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
SingleTrack

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 5:59 pm

This is the SWITCH that I got to wire the lights to. It fit in the factory dash switch panel nicely with a little TRIMMING needed. LOOKS GREAT COMPLETE.

OTRATTW.com have some sweet switches for about the same cost.
Back to top Go down
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
FJ Derek

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 8:20 pm

Very good find and yes... Grasshopper is a little slow!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 8:31 pm

SingleTrack wrote:
This content may be floating around out there on the forum somewhere already. If it is, feel free to delete this one so as to not clutter things ... I simply forgot where I came across this online write up.

So I wired up my Hella 700's over the weekend (yes for a week they were for show and no glow!). Not wanting to cause a fire and burn my FJ + the house down I wanted to make 100% sure I was wiring things correctly. So I searched high and low to find a great article that was simple enough for even me to read and understand (ask FJ Derek - I'm pretty slow) Idea

Here is the article ---> How To Wire Auxiliary Lights

How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Wiring10

ok so how do you know which connection to make on the relay...that is the biggest thing for me...how do you know what each connection on a relay goes where?? the switch i can figure out pretty much...but the relay?? wow LOST
Back to top Go down
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
FJ Derek

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 8:35 pm

I just hook up wires, close my eyes and hit the switch! If it doesn't work then rearrange and try again!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 8:42 pm

ok so thats why i get Ryan to do the wiring for me...LOL
Back to top Go down
SingleTrack
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
SingleTrack

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 9:18 pm

Dang mike you just had to go and mess me up didn't you! :p

I like Derek's suggestion. Truth be known, thats what I did. When all else fails, thats when you read the directions!
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 10:16 pm

All the relays I've ever seen have the numbers printed on the bottom of them. Just match the numbers on the relay with the numbers in the sketch above. If the relay has 5 prongs, ignore the 87A prong.
Back to top Go down
SingleTrack
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
SingleTrack

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 10:21 pm

Leave it to Ryan to save the day. Ryan you could have a side business as a fabricator ... Wait, you kind of already do - its just free!
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 10:35 pm

Sometimes I feel better giving my services away for free to people that will appreciate it. I could charge for services, but then the government will take my money and give it to people who don't appreciate it.

That's my rant for the hour...
Back to top Go down
SingleTrack
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
SingleTrack

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 10:52 pm

No truer words spoken my brother!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 10:55 pm

i like and admire your rant....do all relays have the same numbers???
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:03 pm

All the ones I have (6 different brands) have them. 30, 85, 86, 87 and 87A

30 is the 12v+ power directly from the battery (fused preferably).
85 and 86 are what trip the relay. One needs to be a ground and the other needs to be 12v positive and it doesn't matter which is which.
87 is the 12v+ output to whatever you're trying to power
87a will be ignored in most cases, but if you get to the point you need that, just PM me.

A relay is simple and when you apply power and ground between 85 and 86, the power is then transferred from 30 to 87. Take the power or ground off of 85 or 86 and you no longer have power from 30 to 87.

Does that make any sense?
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:07 pm

wow yeah it does....actually...but you know what?? its still more fun to have you do it...it means we get to hang out and so do others...so in the end...i dont care if it makes sense...LOL....
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:22 pm

So long as you have a clue how it works. It's always good to know how to fix your truck if you're in the boonies.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:28 pm

oh i have a good idea now...i honestly never knew that the numbers meant anything...LOL..now i do...
Back to top Go down
SingleTrack
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
SingleTrack

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 1:36 am

Jesus Christ you're smart. No seriously.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 8:01 am

Heck, I didn't know this stuff until two years ago when I started wiring up lights and stuff on my truck. I had no clue how a relay worked, so I started looking into it. Now I have an idea how it works... Some of the fancy relays still get confusing, but I can usually muddle my way through those too. Most the electronics we modify in these trucks are based on pretty simple principles and once you've got those down, you're pretty well set.
Back to top Go down
NCFJ1
VENDOR - HFS
VENDOR - HFS

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 10:43 am

I drew these up several years ago, thought they may help some folks

This is how I wired my FJ

How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. 3453641887_1abc630a29_z

This is a basic 5 light diagram

How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. 2572987194_4bfeaaa1ee_b
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 11:15 am

^^Based on your diagram, I'll be your wiring is clean too. I understand what I'm looking at there, but I'll bet there are a good number of people that are confused since most people don't understand wiring diagrams.
Back to top Go down
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
FJ Derek

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 11:47 am

I think I just had a siezure looking at that diagram! On a better note, Ryan I got my Rigid hooked up no problem. Seeing the they did all the wiring and it's just plug and play!
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 11:54 am

FJ Derek wrote:
I think I just had a siezure looking at that diagram! On a better note, Ryan I got my Rigid hooked up no problem. Seeing the they did all the wiring and it's just plug and play!

JEALOUS! Congrats though!
Back to top Go down
SingleTrack
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
SingleTrack

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 5:39 pm

Question for you electrically experienced folk out there (esp. Dewey & SpeedRye!). So I've had my lights wired up for sometime now. I've got the Hella 700's w/ 100w bulbs. Normally they have 55w bulbs. Bought em' from Derek that way so I blame him ;-) just kiddin Derek. Anywho. Here's my issue:

The 12v power wire (red) running from the battery (obviously) to my relay is jacked. I have a fuse in the line (pictured). The fuse didn't blow. One side of it completely melted to the metal contact point inside the plastic cylinder that holds the fuse. Does that make any sense at all to you? As a result of it melting, it "blew" without blowing. What do I need to do to remedy the issue? I thought of putting a larger fuse in the line but wouldn't it still melt? If it was just blowing that'd be the solution maybe but melting? I've never heard of one melting before...weird. Any info would be great! Thanks!

How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Fuse10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.   How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How To Wire Auxiliary Lights - for the electrically challenged individual.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next