NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalRegisterLog in

Redneck fixes

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 8:45 pm

Sun Cruiser 6 wrote:
I can't even believe you guys are discussing this....anything even remotely looking like sliders are going on a 2wheeldrive FJ. What are the chances of getting into a situation where the sliders would be useful??

it might save the side of his truck from side impact with a fire hydrant...but i absolutely love the conveyor belt idea....im gonna see how that would work for skids....front to rear ...thats awesome!!!
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 9:20 pm

Brian wrote:
85runner wrote:
Except anything with grassy, muddy, or hills with leafs on them. So it rules out a lot. Ask Casey.

But none of these are at Uwharrie.

Yea boss, the old 4runner was lifted with pretty aggressive tires, plus the locker. Yea I had fun sometimes, but if there was a hint of moisture on the ground it was a waste of time.

I know I avoided it and ignored it for the longest time, but my suggestion to anybody wanting to wheel a 2wd, is, DON'T

Don't waste money modding it and all that, just save that money to get a 4wd model. You will have a lot more fun
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 10:01 pm

unless your desert racing...and last time i checked there isnt a desert anywhere near us...
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 10:07 pm

Yea, around here you really need the 4wd. Most of the parks are pretty hilly, and of course when wet they are tough WITH 4wd
Back to top Go down
2wheeldrive
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2wheeldrive

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:15 pm

I have stock tires and 2wd I will take one anything you big boys can do
I will show you how 2wd can handle climbing once I learn a thing or to
( keep the straps handy)
Back to top Go down
2wheeldrive
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2wheeldrive

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:17 pm

Sun Cruiser 6 wrote:
I can't even believe you guys are discussing this....anything even remotely looking like sliders are going on a 2wheeldrive FJ. What are the chances of getting into a situation where the sliders would be useful??

it might save the side of his truck from side impact with a fire hydrant...but i absolutely love the conveyor belt idea....im gonna see how that would work for skids....front to rear ...thats awesome!!!

Funny hahaha ;(
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:31 pm

2wheeldrive wrote:
I have stock tires and 2wd I will take one anything you big boys can do
I will show you how 2wd can handle climbing once I learn a thing or to
( keep the straps handy)

me and Nick have winches...and i think a few others do too...i aint snatchin anyone out of a stuck..ill winch ya....
Back to top Go down
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
FJ Derek

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:40 pm

Ill stand at bat while a Major League pitcher throws but that doesn't mean ill hit it!! Just giving ya a hard time... Seriously though
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:56 pm

FJ Derek wrote:
Ill stand at bat while a Major League pitcher throws but that doesn't mean ill hit it!! Just giving ya a hard time... Seriously though

if i did that...i think i might mess myself...
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 12:01 am

Oh come on, I do pretty much everything at URE in 2wd with no problems... Granted, one is up front and the other is in the back, but still. I'll bet a locked 2wd with decent tires would surprise some people. If nothing else, it'd be fun to watch!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 12:06 am

i agree on the fun to watch...but no way is it doing daniel...and i bet Kodak would be very very tough..
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 12:08 am

Yea no way on Daniel, even with two spinning tires you won't have that low range gearing to put down the torque
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 12:10 am

not to mention the REALLY off camber that Daniel offers...well unless the forest rangers dont smooth it out before they open in the spring...
Back to top Go down
2wheeldrive
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2wheeldrive

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 11:27 am

Idk about taking on Daniel
I have no experience I am hopei g that you guys will teach me
Back to top Go down
2wheeldrive
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2wheeldrive

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 11:38 am

So what do I need to build them rock rails
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 11:45 am

At a minimum, I'd say you need some 1.75" x .125" DOM tubing for the main rails, some 1/4"-3/8" thick plate to make the frame mounts and gussets, a welder, a mandrel bender, a torch and some skills would be a good start!
Back to top Go down
2wheeldrive
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2wheeldrive

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 1:49 pm

I have the skill and all the tools
Can I not just bolts thick pipe directly to the frame
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 2:29 pm

That won't help you any more than having the frame there. If the pipe you use is too large, you'll lose ground clearance. If you don't space the pipe farther towards the door, the pipe won't be protecting anything there. The main purpose for a slider is to protect the bottom edge of the door from rocks while not costing you any ground clearance.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 8:56 pm

Are we being trolled?
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 9:50 pm

4running wrote:
Are we being trolled?

why do i have the same feeling...??seriously....

if you have all the tools and the skills...then why havent you built them already?? i dont have a surgical kit because i dont know how to do surgery...but i do literally have all the tools to build sliders...and i do...
Back to top Go down
2wheeldrive
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2wheeldrive

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 9:54 pm

Ok so something to protect the doors got it so can u do rock rails and a side step up
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 9:57 pm

Oh my
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 10:01 pm

WTF?? seriously...first off...how old are you? what tools do u actually have?? what skills do you actually have?? and have you NOT researched or seen any pics of sliders??

I seriously may be overstepping my bounds...(been known to happen) but this seems on the fishy end of the pole....and i will go out on a limb and call B.S. on this...
Back to top Go down
2wheeldrive
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2wheeldrive

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 10:25 pm

Ok I am 18 years old I have been off road two times I have had my fj for a few months
I allways wanted one
I just wanted to know if those small single steps could bolt on to the rock sliders

I go to weaver academy in greensboro nc it is a specialized school
I am in auto body classes
And I am also in a metals class
I have access to lifts metals every thing I could need
The problem is I really don't want to mess up the car so I look up to u guys for the advice I also have to try to do these things cheep becouse I don't make a ton of money 2wd was the best I could afford I wish I was 4wheel but I couldn't pay for it so I work with what I got I know I am the youngest one here and to you guys I am just a little kid.
I am not afraid to throw this car on trails it prolly can't handle but I am willing to try to keep up with you guys all I have wanted to do since I saw my first jeep lifted was off road. And when I was 14 I saw my first fj and wanted one ever since. I was so Desperate to be able to off road I took my Honda element and put mud tires on it. So sorry if my ideas or my back ground sounds dumb but I work with what I have it's all I know how to do
Back to top Go down
2wheeldrive
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2wheeldrive

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 10:30 pm

Sorry about the spelling I do this off a phone and its a pain
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Redneck fixes    Redneck fixes   - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Redneck fixes
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NCFJ Cruisers :: The Garage :: Member Builds-
Jump to: