NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.


Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers
 
HomePortalRegisterLog in

 

 Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013

Go down 
+13
dwc2134
FJ Derek
spotts78
yota15
Darklight
Crazy Hube
bigdogdewey2
2wheeldrive
fjdarrell
iwashmycar
85runner
NC FJ Driver
MadToy
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18
AuthorMessage
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

Posts : 1571
Points : 5109
Join date : 2012-02-14
Age : 52
Location : Huntersville, NC

Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 10:03 pm

He has a wash station there to hose off the tires before heading out. Problem is that you have to drive back through the mud to get out of the park.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

Posts : 1764
Points : 5560
Join date : 2011-05-11
Age : 28
Location : Raleigh RDU Area

Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 10:36 pm

Yea, well who knows. Maybe we can plan a trip in March?
Back to top Go down
yota15
Trail Scout
Trail Scout


Posts : 164
Points : 3593
Join date : 2012-04-11
Location : Cullowhee, NC

Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 10:53 pm

Luckily Scott and Will were willing to drive west with me and we hit Hurricane Creek for a few hours which was pretty fun with the snow and what not. I am pretty pissed about waking up at 5:30 and driving all the way out there only to find out that if I wanted to ride I had to stay until 5:30. Why you ask? Well the short version is Skip and the DOT/Fire Department are fighting about the mud that gets left on the road. Skips thinking was if I make everyone leave at once, then there will be less mud on the road (how that works I have no idea). The DOT says that even though the road that is in front of Gulches is a public road, he is responsible for all the mud that gets tracked out of his place. Why is that you ask? Well I overhead someone talking about how not far from him (he was a SC resident) a logging company tracked tons of dirt and mud on the road and a girl lost control over the dirty road and was killed. Her family sued the state and won, so now Skip has to deal with that BS. OK yeah I get it is a huge pain in his Buh-tox and whatnot but the decision to close the park clearly should have been made last night. He made it obvious that the park was a wreck as soon as I pulled though the gates and was telling us that the "bunny slope" (for lack of better words) trails would be like triple black diamonds today because of all the slop.

End rant. Lots of driving and little wheeling. And now everyone knows why.

MadToy wrote:
He has a wash station there to hose off the tires before heading out. Problem is that you have to drive back through the mud to get out of the park.

Problem is, you rinse two trucks off and then what? You are back where you started because the place where you hose your tires off is, you guessed it, a dirt pad.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

Posts : 3697
Points : 7475
Join date : 2011-08-30
Age : 52
Location : High Point, NC

Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 10:59 pm

sounds like hes gonna have to invest in some concrete and lots of big heavy gravel...and maybe even a water box...( a concrete enclosed depression that one drives into that is filled with water to a certain level to rinse undersides of vehicles....used alot at ATV parks in the deep muddy south)....
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

Posts : 1764
Points : 5560
Join date : 2011-05-11
Age : 28
Location : Raleigh RDU Area

Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 11:01 pm

Yea he just needs to close if it's wet it sounds like. ANd he normally would have, but he knew people made plans for his big weekend
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 11:08 pm

Yeah he normally shuts down, and I bet he will even be more cautious now. If it wasn't for the fact it was his big yearly weekend he would have this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

Posts : 1764
Points : 5560
Join date : 2011-05-11
Age : 28
Location : Raleigh RDU Area

Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 11:14 pm

Whatever all that sweating for nothing.
Back to top Go down
spotts78
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
spotts78

Posts : 110
Points : 3466
Join date : 2012-06-11
Age : 42
Location : Greensboro

Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 11:21 pm

yota15 wrote:
Luckily Scott and Will were willing to drive west with me and we hit Hurricane Creek for a few hours which was pretty fun with the snow and what not. I am pretty pissed about waking up at 5:30 and driving all the way out there only to find out that if I wanted to ride I had to stay until 5:30. Why you ask? Well the short version is Skip and the DOT/Fire Department are fighting about the mud that gets left on the road. Skips thinking was if I make everyone leave at once, then there will be less mud on the road (how that works I have no idea). The DOT says that even though the road that is in front of Gulches is a public road, he is responsible for all the mud that gets tracked out of his place. Why is that you ask? Well I overhead someone talking about how not far from him (he was a SC resident) a logging company tracked tons of dirt and mud on the road and a girl lost control over the dirty road and was killed. Her family sued the state and won, so now Skip has to deal with that BS. OK yeah I get it is a huge pain in his Buh-tox and whatnot but the decision to close the park clearly should have been made last night. He made it obvious that the park was a wreck as soon as I pulled though the gates and was telling us that the "bunny slope" (for lack of better words) trails would be like triple black diamonds today because of all the slop.

End rant. Lots of driving and little wheeling. And now everyone knows why.

MadToy wrote:
He has a wash station there to hose off the tires before heading out. Problem is that you have to drive back through the mud to get out of the park.

Problem is, you rinse two trucks off and then what? You are back where you started because the place where you hose your tires off is, you guessed it, a dirt pad.

What he said! I'm really not happy about how the Gulches thing went down.
At least we got to run HC and I get a mini-vacation in Asheville tonight.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

Posts : 1551
Points : 5290
Join date : 2011-05-09
Age : 58
Location : Raeford, NC

Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 8:59 am

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
sounds like hes gonna have to invest in some concrete and lots of big heavy gravel...and maybe even a water box...( a concrete enclosed depression that one drives into that is filled with water to a certain level to rinse undersides of vehicles....used alot at ATV parks in the deep muddy south)....

Yep, air station to air tires back up, drive through wash, undercarraige wash, paved path back to road...
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

Posts : 629
Points : 3860
Join date : 2012-10-07
Age : 36
Location : Newport News, VA

Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 10:11 am

Quote :

Gulches Off Road Vehicle Park




First
I want to apologize to everyone for the conditions of the park and the
quick rule decisions I had to make. I hope that we can get past this
weekend and again if I ruined some folks plans I am sorry. Saturday's
weather snuck up on us. As of Friday morning the weather guys had us
bright and sunny with no rain in the forecast for our area. By Friday
evening all that had changed. By this time I had 30 rigs in the park to
camp for the weekend. I made a bad decision and decided to stay open
for those who wished to come in the park in the impeding nasty weather. I
should have closed and chased everyone out and returned money. We know
how bad the parking lot can get and when it is terribly sloppy trucks
and trailers do not get out. Even still we made a total mess of the road
all day long. I called our friends at the fire dept. to come wash the
road several times. On the last time just as we were closing I was
notified by a highway patrolman that this
was not a good idea either as the temps were dropping and the water
would freeze. So he called DOT to send a sand truck. Then I was
contacted by DOT and told this was never to happen again or they would
padlock me shut and not allow me to open again until they decided how
and when I could open. This is why the no leaving till 5:30pm on Sunday.
This is my only business and I cannot lose it. I cannot afford to be
shut down indefinitely. Therefore instead of just closing and ruining
plans for those who really wanted to be there, I decided that at 5:30 I
would get everyone out, with the fire dept there waiting to clean
immediately one time without freezing and then close the gate. Most of
you know with a threat of weather like this I close the park. But this
is such a big event and the weather changed so fast I made the wrong
decision and opened. Again I am sorry.


Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

Posts : 1551
Points : 5290
Join date : 2011-05-09
Age : 58
Location : Raeford, NC

Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 10:43 am

Most people have short memories and I believe the park/he'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
FJ Derek

Posts : 571
Points : 3925
Join date : 2012-07-12
Age : 36
Location : Greensboro

Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 11:10 am

NC FJ Driver wrote:
Most people have short memories and I believe the park/he'll be fine.
What happened?!?! J/k
Back to top Go down
yota15
Trail Scout
Trail Scout


Posts : 164
Points : 3593
Join date : 2012-04-11
Location : Cullowhee, NC

Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 12:02 pm

^ Sorry doesn't cover the money and time I wasted to get out there.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

Posts : 1551
Points : 5290
Join date : 2011-05-09
Age : 58
Location : Raeford, NC

Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 1:54 pm

yota15 wrote:
^ Sorry doesn't cover the money and time I wasted to get out there.

Yeah, I'm definately not defending him, just saying the general population is not the brightest, nor does it have a long memory. There are some that will never be back, you might be one, there definately some ire on facebook, but for the most part, IMO it'll have little impact on his business...just the way it is today.
Back to top Go down
spotts78
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
spotts78

Posts : 110
Points : 3466
Join date : 2012-06-11
Age : 42
Location : Greensboro

Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 4:46 pm

Just got home from my 600 mile journey this weekend. What an odyssey!
Thanks again for going to HC, at least we got some wheeling in this weekend.
Back to top Go down
yota15
Trail Scout
Trail Scout


Posts : 164
Points : 3593
Join date : 2012-04-11
Location : Cullowhee, NC

Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 6:54 pm

^ I'm glad you had fun! All the snow made the trail pretty interesting lol

NC FJ Driver wrote:
Yeah, I'm definately not defending him, just saying the general population is not the brightest, nor does it have a long memory. There are some that will never be back, you might be one, there definately some ire on facebook, but for the most part, IMO it'll have little impact on his business...just the way it is today.

That wasn't meant to be aimed at you. When I was commenting no one else had replied yet lol I thought I was going to be the next comment after that post haha
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

Posts : 1551
Points : 5290
Join date : 2011-05-09
Age : 58
Location : Raeford, NC

Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 8:20 pm

yota15 wrote:
^ I'm glad you had fun! All the snow made the trail pretty interesting lol

NC FJ Driver wrote:
Yeah, I'm definately not defending him, just saying the general population is not the brightest, nor does it have a long memory. There are some that will never be back, you might be one, there definately some ire on facebook, but for the most part, IMO it'll have little impact on his business...just the way it is today.

That wasn't meant to be aimed at you. When I was commenting no one else had replied yet lol I thought I was going to be the next comment after that post haha

Its all good, just making internet conversation!Laughing
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

Posts : 3697
Points : 7475
Join date : 2011-08-30
Age : 52
Location : High Point, NC

Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 10:30 pm

no i agree...i am with you Paul...most folks wont remember it past wednesday...and it wont matter in the long run...it does suck that he didnt post or do anything in regards to canceling Sunday...he has a website and facebook...
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

Posts : 1571
Points : 5109
Join date : 2012-02-14
Age : 52
Location : Huntersville, NC

Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 10:42 pm

MadToy wrote:
yota15 wrote:
MadToy wrote:
I'm definitely out at this point. Need to pick my chances for going, and would rather try again mid March on a dry day hopefully.

Anyone that still plans to go may want to check with Skip before heading out to see how conditions are, and see what time he can open.

Good point. Would whoever emailed Skip the first time email him again to see what's up?

Skip said the ground will freeze overnight, and then begin melting in the afternoon tomorrow, making things real slick, since there will be mud on top of frozen ground.

Honestly, if you're planning on traveling far for this, I would wait for better conditions.

I did try to warn y'all...... Razz
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

Posts : 1764
Points : 5560
Join date : 2011-05-11
Age : 28
Location : Raleigh RDU Area

Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 10:50 pm

LOL, yea Nick was right afterall. Hell even the blind squirrel gets a nut every once in a while
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

Posts : 1571
Points : 5109
Join date : 2012-02-14
Age : 52
Location : Huntersville, NC

Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 9:38 am

Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 ClickHandler.ashx?du=http%3a%2f%2fcl.jroo.me%2fz3%2fS%2f2%2fR%2fd%2fa.aaa-Squirrel-in-glasses.jpg&ru=http%3a%2f%2fcl.jroo.me%2fz3%2fS%2f2%2fR%2fd%2fa.aaa-Squirrel-in-glasses.jpg&ld=20130219&ap=1&app=1&c=snapdoblend.14&s=snapdoblend&coi=372380&cop=main-title&euip=68.188.66
Back to top Go down
yota15
Trail Scout
Trail Scout


Posts : 164
Points : 3593
Join date : 2012-04-11
Location : Cullowhee, NC

Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 1:53 pm

MadToy wrote:
MadToy wrote:
yota15 wrote:
MadToy wrote:
I'm definitely out at this point. Need to pick my chances for going, and would rather try again mid March on a dry day hopefully.

Anyone that still plans to go may want to check with Skip before heading out to see how conditions are, and see what time he can open.

Good point. Would whoever emailed Skip the first time email him again to see what's up?

Skip said the ground will freeze overnight, and then begin melting in the afternoon tomorrow, making things real slick, since there will be mud on top of frozen ground.

Honestly, if you're planning on traveling far for this, I would wait for better conditions.

I did try to warn y'all...... Razz

What were you a weatherman in another life or something? lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013   Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013 - Page 18 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
Gulches ORV Park - February 17, 2013
Back to top 
Page 18 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NCFJ Cruisers :: Events :: Individual Trail Rides-
Jump to: