NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels

Go down 
+5
fjdarrell
iwashmycar
85runner
DamnItsAGlasgow
planemechFJ
9 posters
AuthorMessage
planemechFJ
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
planemechFJ

Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels   Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 2:22 pm

I am considering 3 different wheels right now. I plan on picking up a set mid to late Jan.
Would like some thoughts and or advice.

1. Mickey Thompson
I know the name and like the looks, thats about it.

2.Raceline
Don't know the name but I really like the looks.

3.Steels with Stiffeners.
This would require a little extra work. ( get steels then get stiffeners added ) I like the look of the skull and crossbones
just feel like the cost gets up to or past the above wheels 1 or 2.

Any choice will be done in 17x9. I plan on using them 70% on road. 30% off road.
Off road will be "mild or intermediate" trails.

tires will be 33's or 315's.

Anybody have any experience with any of the selections. Pros, Cons. ?
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels   Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 2:29 pm

I like the Racelines out of these three choices. Not a huge fan of the simulated bead locks in #1. And I don't know much about the rock rings... they look cool, but do they really help?

I know that Raceline makes good, basic wheels, and I think that design you picked out looks sweet with the black!

Last edited by DamnItsAGlasgow on Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
85runner
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
85runner

PostSubject: Re: Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels   Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 2:53 pm

Racelines are awesome. If I had the money I'd buy them in a heartbeat. Stay with an aluminum wheel, your back and gas mileage will like you more. Steel wheels with weld on beadlocks do the job, but they're a whole lot heavier.
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

PostSubject: Re: Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels   Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 3:52 pm

Racelines look sick!
Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels IMG_2420

If you are buying new tires too, maybe look into 16s. IMO they look better and may be more inexpensive!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343
fjdarrell
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
fjdarrell

PostSubject: Re: Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels   Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 5:27 pm

i like the raceline as well
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels   Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Racelines
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels   Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Out of those three, I like the Raceline's as well...in fact I have a different wheel made by Raceline on my truck...16x8 Renegade6's. They have a little rock rash here and there (but that just gives them character!) but have performed well, and I got them for $86 a wheel new!

Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels IMG_0140
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels   Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 6:28 pm

Level 8 Strike 6. Very similar to the Raceline wheels without the huge metal centercap. Pricing may be a bit less as well.Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels Levst6.mtb.xl
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels   Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 2:05 am

steelies!!!! bottom line...and in the end you will like the look of the steelies with the rock ring...and if you bend a steel wheel...you can bend it back...you cant do that with an aluminum or alloy wheel! you bend it your screwed...or else pay a butt load to have it fixed...only problem with steelies is you have to run spacers...noone makes them with the offset and backspacing for the FJ...(that i have found)...i run steelies and LOVE them!!
Back to top Go down
planemechFJ
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
planemechFJ

PostSubject: Re: Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels   Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 3:26 am

DamnItsAGlasgow wrote:
I like the Racelines out of these three choices. Not a huge fan of the simulated bead locks in #1. And I don't know much about the rock rings... they look cool, but do they really help?

I know that Raceline makes good, basic wheels, and I think that design you picked out looks sweet with the black!

85runner wrote:
Racelines are awesome. If I had the money I'd buy them in a heartbeat. Stay with an aluminum wheel, your back and gas mileage will like you more. Steel wheels with weld on beadlocks do the job, but they're a whole lot heavier.

fjdarrell wrote:
i like the raceline as well

Brian wrote:
Racelines

NC FJ Driver wrote:
Out of those three, I like the Raceline's as well...in fact I have a different wheel made by Raceline on my truck...16x8 Renegade6's. They have a little rock rash here and there (but that just gives them character!) but have performed well, and I got them for $86 a wheel new!

Wow I can see what the general consensus is. Thanks Everyone for posting up your opinions.

Sun Cruiser 6 wrote:
Level 8 Strike 6. Very similar to the Raceline wheels without the huge metal centercap. Pricing may be a bit less as well.
Nice option also looks like it might even be produced by the same people just marketed under a different name.

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
steelies!!!! bottom line...and in the end you will like the look of the steelies with the rock ring...and if you bend a steel wheel...you can bend it back...you cant do that with an aluminum or alloy wheel! you bend it your screwed...or else pay a butt load to have it fixed...only problem with steelies is you have to run spacers...noone makes them with the offset and backspacing for the FJ...(that i have found)...i run steelies and LOVE them!!

I agree a bent rim is a concern as is weight, as stated above. I really do like the rock ringed steelies,but
I liked the overall looks of the racelines but the responses and this...
Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels IMG_2420
Have pretty much sealed the deal.

iwashmycar wrote:
Racelines look sick!
If you are buying new tires too, maybe look into 16s. IMO they look better and may be more inexpensive!

Is this yours? either way, very Nice rig and Cool photo.
Do you happen to know specs on this truck? Lift, wheel size, tire size?
Back to top Go down
NCFJ1
VENDOR - HFS
VENDOR - HFS

PostSubject: Re: Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels   Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 8:32 am

First the disclaimer, I sell the rim stiffeners (RS)`

That said, they Are not weld on bead locks, they weld inside the lip of the steel rim. The idea of them is to prevent the outer rim from bending from hard contact with rocks, they also protect the valve stem from being ripped out. I have run them for years and they do their job and take a beating. I also run harder trails with lots of rocks.

I run the stock FJ steelies which require no spacers. Wheelers Off Road also has 16" steelies that do not require spacers.

To the OP, if you do not expect to be running much in the rocks the RS are not required. Yeah, they look cool but in reality that 30% off road number you used is unrealistic unless the FJC will not be your daily driver. They make an already heavy wheel heavier and do a lot to reduce your MPG.

Good luck with your choice

Stan
Back to top Go down
planemechFJ
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
planemechFJ

PostSubject: Re: Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels   Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 2:32 pm

NCFJ1 wrote:
First the disclaimer, I sell the rim stiffeners (RS)`

That said, they Are not weld on bead locks, they weld inside the lip of the steel rim. The idea of them is to prevent the outer rim from bending from hard contact with rocks, they also protect the valve stem from being ripped out. I have run them for years and they do their job and take a beating. I also run harder trails with lots of rocks.

I run the stock FJ steelies which require no spacers. Wheelers Off Road also has 16" steelies that do not require spacers.

To the OP, if you do not expect to be running much in the rocks the RS are not required. Yeah, they look cool but in reality that 30% off road number you used is unrealistic unless the FJC will not be your daily driver. They make an already heavy wheel heavier and do a lot to reduce your MPG.

Good luck with your choice

Stan

Thanks for the info,
Yes my FJC is not a daily its more of a weekend thing but it will still see more highway than trail.
when it comes to the steels, weight was something I had not originally thought of. That in conjunction with from what I have seen
5 new steels + 5 RS + RS install = more than 5 new alloy wheels. So although I more than likely will not be purchasing your
product I do wish to give you a thumbs up on a really cool design and a overall cool addition to someones wheel setup.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels   Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 3:21 pm

You should just go all out and get beadlocks Smile

Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels 1_15_03_09_1_43_15

Last edited by DamnItsAGlasgow on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:29 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : better picture)
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels   Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 10:07 pm

DamnItsAGlasgow wrote:
You should just go all out and get beadlocks Smile

Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels 1_15_03_09_1_43_15

heck if those tires were real i would get those too!! well i mean real as in true fullsize....!!
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels   Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 10:45 am

bigdogdewey2 wrote:

heck if those tires were real i would get those too!! well i mean real as in true fullsize....!!

This setup should fit just fine with a BMC and spacers, don't you think??? Laughing
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels   Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 1:02 am

those suckers are awesome...huge lugs...and also looks like great lateral traction too...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels   Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opinions and Thoughts on These Wheels
Page 1 of 1