NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

High center of gravity and cornering fun

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

High center of gravity and cornering fun Empty
PostSubject: High center of gravity and cornering fun   High center of gravity and cornering fun Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 10:59 pm

I went down to the north Georgia mountains for the past week and got to do a lot of twisty back road mountain driving. I'm riding 6" higher than stock with 4" more track width. With some good sticky mud tires, the FJ corners much better than stock with much higher cornering limits. The problem is where those cornering limits are. On a stock FJ, the tires will break free and the FJ will slide a little with some squealing tires. On my lifted FJ, the truck will go up onto two tires before the tires lose their grip. Talk about a pucker moment when you hear both tires touch back down again! I've also found that I can easily get it up on two tires simply when pulling out left into traffic. Having the 6MT, I'm full time four wheel drive and when floored with the wheel turned to turn into traffic, I can get it on two wheels as well. It's an odd combination since the truck actually handles better, but certainly can be much more dangerous. For those of you riding high on mud tires (most mud tires are much stickier than street tires, hence the lower mileage) be careful. While the videos I see from the Middle East of FJs riding on two wheels are entertaining, I don't want to be that guy since my balls aren't big enough...
Back to top Go down
CherokeeCruiser
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
CherokeeCruiser

PostSubject: Subject: High center of gravity and cornering fun   High center of gravity and cornering fun Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 12:04 am

Subject: High center of gravity and cornering fun

Be careful, I can attest to the FJ's high center on just stock, that you can roll over very, very easily!
Although I did have a Thule carrier on top, I had added bottom weight with my Under body skids, cargo and BBQ grill mounted on front and it surprisingly rolled side ways after slide-skid in muck stop, LOL... I did have fun giggling when it rolled, with me clenching the steering wheel, cause it was so stupid of a moment, lol

High center of gravity and cornering fun 01B0B236

My apologies for doubling the same photo, bottom one is my signature photo, LOL...
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: High center of gravity and cornering fun   High center of gravity and cornering fun Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 8:27 am

Maybe I should go with steel skid plates... You make a good case for them! Could you just stand it back up and drive off?
Back to top Go down
CherokeeCruiser
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
CherokeeCruiser

PostSubject: Re: High center of gravity and cornering fun   High center of gravity and cornering fun Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 5:10 pm

No, engine sat to long on its side, oils had leaked throughout. So insurance totaled out truck...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: High center of gravity and cornering fun   High center of gravity and cornering fun Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

High center of gravity and cornering fun
Page 1 of 1