NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I need some opinions on tires.

Go down 
+6
85runner
smoky cruiser
bigdogdewey2
Southeast Overland
Scottydog
dmiles1288
10 posters
AuthorMessage
dmiles1288
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
dmiles1288

I need some opinions on tires. Empty
PostSubject: I need some opinions on tires.   I need some opinions on tires. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 3:29 pm

I have the stock 17" rims. I'm puting on 3" rough country suspension lift this weekend. I'm getting new tires because i have road tires on right now. I'm thinking about 285/70/17 BFG All Terrain TA, just becuase my friend Nick has them on his and they look good. Any other suggestions on tires? I dont know how big i should go or anything so i would appresh some advice. thanks
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/drew.miles
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: I need some opinions on tires.   I need some opinions on tires. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 4:50 pm

I have 285/70/17 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS on mine and I love them. They are holding up well so far, work great off-road on rocks and in the mud. They are pretty quiet on the highway...and they just plain look good.

PLUS, got a great deal on them at Discount Tire...$200 each installed out the door with lifetime coverage.
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: I need some opinions on tires.   I need some opinions on tires. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 4:56 pm

The BFG ATs are good tires. They wear evenly and last a long time. I'd strongly consider those if you are planning on mostly street, gravel, dirt and rock use. If you will be in mud I'd stay away from an AT. In mud ATs turn to slicks, MTs turn to ATs, and swampers are swampers.

I run BFG MT KM2s. I'm getting pretty good wear and have probably had them for 20k ish miles. They are louder on the street than the previous ATs but not obnoxious. I have been trying to rotate them regularly and they are wearing pretty well. I have cut the sidewalls a good bit, enough to regulate one to a permanent spare and one I'd like to get off of the drive wheels but they are still holding up. I've also been playing in the rocks a good bit so I can't blame the cuts on the tires.

It's hard to beat a swamper in the mud but you'll pay for it in short tread life and road noise.
Back to top Go down
http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: I need some opinions on tires.   I need some opinions on tires. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 6:12 pm

you cant go wrong with the BFGs...either MT or the AT....i have the MTs and i love them...i have heard nothing but good stuff about the ATs...the MTs are a bit loud on the high way but if you play around with the air pressure you can find that sweet spot...many folks on here have the ATs...do alot of reading ..but DONT believe everything you read ...every truck or car is unique in its own right...one FJ to the next...i can bet you that the alighnment from one FJ to the next coming off the assembly line are not the same there for the wear on the tires is going to be different...
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: skinny km2s   I need some opinions on tires. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 6:56 pm

I love the 255/80/17 a little taller than the 285s, but way skinnier. Make for smooth road handling pretty quiet, and better mpgs with less footprint. They also rock in mud/snow/rocks/and lateral traction is exceptional. Go for the skinny tires.
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
85runner
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
85runner

PostSubject: Re: I need some opinions on tires.   I need some opinions on tires. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 7:43 pm

Super Swamper Thornbirds
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: thornbirds   I need some opinions on tires. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 7:46 pm

In my opinion tbirds are worthless. They are super quiet on the road, but any mud or clay and they are worse than bfg ats. They are also hard to balance after a few k. A good tire for moab, but about worthless for the clay states. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
85runner
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
85runner

PostSubject: Re: I need some opinions on tires.   I need some opinions on tires. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 8:08 pm

It was a joke. They are probably the worse tire ever made.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: I need some opinions on tires.   I need some opinions on tires. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 8:22 pm

85runner wrote:
Super Swamper Thornbirds

why would you ever suggest a poop tire like that?? LOL...i wouldnt put them on a trailer ...the only thing they are good for is growing potatoes....
Back to top Go down
Thomas1229
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
Thomas1229

PostSubject: Re: I need some opinions on tires.   I need some opinions on tires. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 8:28 pm

I had Nitto Terra Grappler 285 70 17's and loved them. Quiet on the road and great in the sand. I now have BFG AT 295 75 16's and I think I like them better than the Terra Grappler's. It's close either way, but the BFG's look awesome!!
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: I need some opinions on tires.   I need some opinions on tires. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 9:48 pm

Well despite others experience I have to say my 285/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs have been great. I have put somewhere around 10k miles on them since getting them in September of last year, almost a year now. To me they look bigger than some other 285's out there. Initially they were very quiet on the highway but they now have a little bit of a hum to them but nothing bad at all. They have never let me down out on the trail where the BFG AT I had previously gave me some trouble with traction. Especially in URE after it has rained LOL.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: I need some opinions on tires.   I need some opinions on tires. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 10:03 pm

^^ If going with an A/T, the Duratrac is a great choice. Probably the best mix of A/T and mud tire. I loved mine - but they don't last in sharp rocks. If you don't plan on doing much rock crawling, then definitely a great choice. They climb rocks real well, but the sidewalls are very soft.
Back to top Go down
dmiles1288
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
dmiles1288

PostSubject: Re: I need some opinions on tires.   I need some opinions on tires. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 10:07 pm

whats your opinions on used tires? should i stay away from them?
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: I need some opinions on tires.   I need some opinions on tires. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 10:17 pm

If you're considering used because of budget - then I would just go this route.....

https://www.treadwright.com/p-51-285-70r17-warden-a-t-d.aspx
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: I need some opinions on tires.   I need some opinions on tires. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 10:21 pm

unless they are brand new used tires..i wouldnt...lol...maybe for a last resort but you never know what your getting...i guess you could get a decent set but it would be hard in my opinion to know what a good deal is...and i guess that would be the determining factor...
Back to top Go down
dmiles1288
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
dmiles1288

PostSubject: Re: I need some opinions on tires.   I need some opinions on tires. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 10:27 pm

well i found a set of 4 BFG AT on craigslist for $200. They have about 30% tread left.......... idk if thats a good deal or not. I want some decent brand tires but dang are they expensive. lol
Back to top Go down
dmiles1288
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
dmiles1288

PostSubject: Re: I need some opinions on tires.   I need some opinions on tires. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 10:31 pm

than thinking again its prob better to have 100% cheaper brand than 30% good brand. idk. thanks for the tips though. ill let you know what i end up doing.
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: I need some opinions on tires.   I need some opinions on tires. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 10:48 pm

I like the BFG A/Ts, great choice....but with 30% tread left....you will be replacing them again, soon I would suspect.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: I need some opinions on tires.   I need some opinions on tires. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 12:12 am

not to mention that you may play hell trying to get them balanced...id save your money up and get a good new set...if you are tempted to go with used...go to NC4x4.com ..always set of tires for sale there...
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: i'd go with   I need some opinions on tires. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 7:46 pm

I'd go with the good brand over cheap new or used they will be better as long as no dry rot or cracks or rips etc. The cheaper tires will go flat on the trail guraunteed. The bfg ats will not likely have problems. I have had several pairs that just would quit even being beat up sliced and worn badly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I need some opinions on tires.   I need some opinions on tires. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I need some opinions on tires.
Page 1 of 1