NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Just looked over my FJ and...

Go down 
+3
smoky cruiser
Crazy Hube
yota15
7 posters
AuthorMessage
yota15
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

Just looked over my FJ and... Empty
PostSubject: Just looked over my FJ and...   Just looked over my FJ and... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 6:45 pm

...have come across a few things. For one, my hub to fender mesurments are different in the rear. The driver side is 24.5" and the passenger side is 23.5". I looked over all the suspension components and from what I can tell everything looks fine (I measured the coils and both were the same, the lower links look and as well as the shocks). It still has the stock suspension (74,000+ miles) but I am about to swap it out soon. I am just worried that swapping the suspension isn't going to solve my problem and I am still going to be leaning. The body mounts look fine also. The lean is there regardless of how full my gas tank is. Any ideas?

The second thing that I noticed was the passenger side inner CV boot is leaking grease right along the collar. The clamp is still on the boot, the fins aren't touching, and I don't have any tears in the boot. The tie rod end on that side needs to be replaced because the boot on it is leaking but that wouldn't cause the inner CV boot to leak would it?

Hopefully all that made sense to everyone and I am not speaking gibberish.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Just looked over my FJ and...   Just looked over my FJ and... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 7:13 pm

Remove the stock clamp and replace it with a adjustable one, stainless steel, like SEO sells

As for the suspension, its definitely going to have some wear with that mileage, thats what I would attribute it to. I wouldn't really worry about it, mine varies but 1.4" depending on the fuel level
Back to top Go down
yota15
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Just looked over my FJ and...   Just looked over my FJ and... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 7:41 pm

I figured it might be the clamp but wasn't positive so I'll replace the clamps first. I know my suspension is pretty shot (I got throw all around my cab yesterday at Hurricane Creek even going over the smallest stuff) but the fact that I couldn't pinpoint the lean is what bothers me. I don't want to swap the suspension only to find it is still leaning. Don't get me wrong, I understand that not all suspensions are created equal and there are many factors that will cause a difference in height, but I am just hoping it isn't a more serious problem. I hadn't really noticed it up until about a few weeks ago.
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: drivers side is higher?    Just looked over my FJ and... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 8:08 pm

If it is your drivers side that is higher then maybe get some one to measure with you in it?
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
yota15
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Just looked over my FJ and...   Just looked over my FJ and... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 8:24 pm

smoky cruiser wrote:
If it is your drivers side that is higher then maybe get some one to measure with you in it?

I weight 175 pounds soaking wet. You trying to tell me to go on a diet? Laughing I guess it wouldn't hurt but I don't think I make any difference.
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: just thinking   Just looked over my FJ and... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 9:50 pm

I was just thinking maybe thats it. I have a slight lean on mine but it is towards the drivers side. I weigh 270 ish though. I just ordered the ome 3 inch and have no worries about any lean. Update us once you do the lift, I will let you know if my driver side sag is gone.
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Just looked over my FJ and...   Just looked over my FJ and... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 11:13 pm

there is apparently a "lean" with the FJ...i have read about it a few times over on the blue room and its apparently something that comes with the truck...it is more prevelant with the earlier years as far as i have read...i wouldnt worry about it to be honest with you...from what i understand its to compensate for the driver seat being filled in the vehicle 99% of the time...mine was about 5/8-3/4" higher on the driverside...
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Just looked over my FJ and...   Just looked over my FJ and... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 8:51 am

Yep. I bet if everyone measured theirs, they'd find they lean also. The Tacoma has the lean on the driver's side - also about an inch difference. Even with complete new shocks, coils, and leaf packs, still the same lean. They call it the Taco Lean Neutral
Back to top Go down
yota15
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Just looked over my FJ and...   Just looked over my FJ and... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 10:15 am

Didn't even think about that. I knew the Tacomas had it but didn't think the FJs would. On another note, what is the best way to clean my brakes out? I got sunk in a mud hole a few months ago and my rears have squeaked ever since. I've power washed the hell out if them but that didn't help. I just replaced all my pads right before I sunk it so the pads and rotors are fine.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Just looked over my FJ and...   Just looked over my FJ and... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 11:18 am

My FJ had 1/2" of lean in the front, but the rear was dead level. After a new suspension, all of it is nice and level. Is the FJ visibly leaning when viewed from the back? I'd think 1" would be pretty noticeable.

As far as cleaning the brakes, I'd assume you need to pull the caliper/pads back off and clean the gunk that's in there since that's almost always where squeaks come from. Brake cleaner works great for brakes I hear.
Back to top Go down
yota15
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Just looked over my FJ and...   Just looked over my FJ and... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 11:28 am

Yeah it is a noticeable lean. That's weird that brake cleaner would work tongue I'll have to give that I shot lol
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Just looked over my FJ and...   Just looked over my FJ and... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 12:16 pm

more than likely you have mud/dirt/crap inside the emergency brakes....you will need to jack it up take the wheels off and make sure the Ebrake is NOT engaged...and pull the rotor off...and clean inside the "rotor drum"....pretty easy to do...
Back to top Go down
yota15
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Just looked over my FJ and...   Just looked over my FJ and... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 12:32 pm

Right on. I'll take a look at it when I get a chance.
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: Just looked over my FJ and...   Just looked over my FJ and... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 1:05 am

I can tell you that with my 2007 TRD I always noticed the right side down a little on the inclinometer but it leveled when I got in.

In the 2012 it is level on the inclinometer whether I am in or out.

Might sound weird but since I noticed it in the 2007 I checked it in the 2012 when I picked it up and after installing the RC 3".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just looked over my FJ and...   Just looked over my FJ and... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just looked over my FJ and...
Page 1 of 1