NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

gettin an old man emu lift ordered monday

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

gettin an old man emu lift ordered monday Empty
PostSubject: gettin an old man emu lift ordered monday   gettin an old man emu lift ordered monday Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 8:59 pm

I'd like to hear what yall have to say about them I tow a ton and also do not wanna lose my flexiblity I am leaning towards a ome heavy due to the facts I am fat and have a big family so whetehr working or wheeling I am either fully loaded with fam and gear or with tools and trailers. Let me know about your road and trail ride comfort and capabilities as well please.
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: ome lifts   gettin an old man emu lift ordered monday Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 10:34 am

So I will be ordering a full kit from ome on monday to replace my baby lift from zone offroad. I am confused with the different levels of lifts. They have light or stock/medium or 70-180 lbs/and then heavy or epedition 330 plus lbs. I am thinking I will go expedition bc I tow a cargo trailer almost every day. I also usually have at least 200 lbs in the back of the rig. I weigh 270ish alone. I don not have any bumpers yet, but will soon. Also when I go wheeling I am usually toting a ton of weight. Coolers camping gear tents etc. Anyone with a ome kit please let me hear what you have to say. Thanks
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: gettin an old man emu lift ordered monday   gettin an old man emu lift ordered monday Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 2:22 pm

The heavy OME lift will doo you right if you tow everyday...however the lift is designed with heavy bumpers in mind ie. ARB....it will be a very very very (did i mention very) stiff ride with out...i have the medium springs up front with maybe 85 pounds of bumper...and its still rather stiff...good luck with it...i think you should be ok...just be prepared for a much stiffer ride than you have now...over time they will soften up a bit...
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: gettin an old man emu lift ordered monday   gettin an old man emu lift ordered monday Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 5:48 pm

I run 885's up front, 889's in the rear (medium) on my daily driver. I have a front bumper of approx 80# (metal-tech) and a rear bumper (The Toy Outfitters) about the same. I also have a wooden cargo box in back, maybe another 50#'s? I tilt the scales at about 215.

When I got mine, 885's (f) were "medium", now they are "heavy" according to their current application chart. The chart still shows the 889's (r) as "medium" (200-400#).

They definately stiffened the ride up, although "tightened" it up would be a better description. The stock ride was "soft" and tended to wander a LOT...the stiffer springs improved the ride and eliminated "most" of the wander. My FJ still tends to require constant attention or it will definately wander to and fro, by far the worst vehicle for it I've ever drove. Playing with tire pressure also helped.

The nose dive when stopping was greatly reduced, and it rolls around corners much better. All in all I am very pleased with my choice.

Dont know how much actual lift I realized, as they claim 2.5" to 3" and I didnt measure before and after. I do run 285/75R16s with no rub anywhere, and I've been very pleased with the truck/suspensions performance off road.

If I was going with one of the full metal bumpers (ARB, Demello, etc.), or if I towed nearly daily I would really think hard about the heavy springs front and rear...if any of that helps.
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: toytec ome   gettin an old man emu lift ordered monday Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks fellows. I am ordering from toytec because they seem to be super knowledgable about the ome stuff. They are calling the lifts different loads as stock/heavy/expedition. I am gonna go expedition, with the plan of building 2 bumpers by around xmas/or buying some. I usually have about 50 plus lbs in the back and carry lumber loads regulary. I also tote a cargo trailer 6x8 or a 8x12 trailer for trash and materials. My factory springs are uber soft and slow to respond. Tons of body roll on curves. I also plan on building a custom offroad trailer to haul gear, and maybe have a roof top tent on it one day.
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: gettin an old man emu lift ordered monday   gettin an old man emu lift ordered monday Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 11:00 am

I run OME heavies front and rear - until a few weeks from now when they are coming off. In the front I have a MT tube bumper, M8000 with synthetic. I could have mediums in the front. Also a tent on the top which transfers a bit of weight to the front.

On the rear I have heavies and moved up from mediums. I have a rack, RTT, cargo drawers full of spares and tools, CO2 tank, water tank, fire extinguisher, and a fridge. I have to have heavies in the rear.

If you run coils that are too heavy you will have a ride that's too stiff. Running too heavy of springs in the front can cause issues with your shocks and will give you more lift which = steeper CV angles.

Also, if you go too heavy you will not flex. The springs will remain stiff and in place and the body will tilt with the axle. You have to have the proper weight to go with the proper spring rate to make your axles flex.
Back to top Go down
http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: Whooha   gettin an old man emu lift ordered monday Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 pm

I finally pulled the trigger on a real set up. I got the old man emu heavy set up/ or expedition setup. I also ordered a 2xl shirt, and a set of light racing ucas for a good ride. I guess it is time for some heavy accessories.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: gettin an old man emu lift ordered monday   gettin an old man emu lift ordered monday Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

gettin an old man emu lift ordered monday
Page 1 of 1