NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Empty
PostSubject: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 3:33 pm

Like the title says. Has some nice pictures from Uwharrie showing off the rig. I received a gift card to Barnes and noble as a gift. I am not a reader, so I order some magazine subscriptions. I hate Peterson's because it is almost a dedicated jeep magazine. So I was surprised to the the 4runner prominently displayed. The owner is a member of the Carolina Trail Blazers. Oh and it has a turbo diesel and 46" tires.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 9:51 pm

Is that the thing with the full exo cage?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 9:59 pm

Yep
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 10:07 pm

Ha. The guys around there said that guy rolls over every time he goes off camber. It has no flex at all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 10:12 pm

I imagine so with 46" tires.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 11:06 pm

Yea cool build and all...but unless you have a buggy the biggest tire size that would be suitable for off roading is a 37.

I cant imagine how high the COG is on that thing
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: tires   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 6:47 pm

Unless your aftermarket axles, or larger ones I'd say the yota factory drivetrain is only really usable with a 33 any bigger and pow pow pow down the trail you go.
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
85runner
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
85runner

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 7:32 pm

smoky cruiser wrote:
Unless your aftermarket axles, or larger ones I'd say the yota factory drivetrain is only really usable with a 33 any bigger and pow pow pow down the trail you go.
My buddy has a first gen 4runner. Rolls on 39.5" iroks, never broke axle shafts wheelin; broke them both pulling someone out of a ditch. It's all about being smart how you wheel. Obviously if you're hammering down, bouncing around like some of the people here do, you will continually break.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 7:44 pm

I don't think anything is stock on this mag truck. It's quite impressive to see.
Back to top Go down
85runner
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
85runner

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 7:46 pm

MadToy wrote:
I don't think anything is stock on this mag truck. It's quite impressive to see.
Unless a 4BT and portal axles were a factory Toyota option lol!
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 8:27 pm

85runner wrote:
smoky cruiser wrote:
My buddy has a first gen 4runner. Rolls on 39.5" iroks, never broke axle shafts wheelin; broke them both pulling someone out of a ditch. It's all about being smart how you wheel. Obviously if you're hammering down, bouncing around like some of the people here do, you will continually break.

lol speak for yourself.

"Bouncing" bounce
Back to top Go down
85runner
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
85runner

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 9:01 pm

At this point I'm trying to break front axle so I have an excuse to buy new ones.
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 9:30 pm

This month's issue of Off-Road magazine has an ad for Discount Tire that features a red FJ sporting some Falken Rocky Mountains...and some slick wheels.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 10:25 pm

I am halfway tempted to get the Falkens, Discount Tire is raping me on the MTR-K

Good night, $1400 out the door for tires?

The Falkens are like 900 out the door for reference
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 10:31 pm

Are those prices for 4 or 5 tires?
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 9:02 am

4running wrote:
I am halfway tempted to get the Falkens, Discount Tire is raping me on the MTR-K

Find them cheaper anywhere on line, and send the link to Discount Tire from their button that says "Found them cheaper?" (or something like that). They will price match. I do it all the time with them.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 9:04 am

MadToy wrote:
4running wrote:

Find them cheaper anywhere on line, and send the link to Discount Tire from their button that says "Found them cheaper?" (or something like that). They will price match. I do it all the time with them.

Yea Brian that is for 4 tires

I will try looking Madtoy, but from what I've sen they already have the lowest price
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 9:12 am

Rimzone Online

I got mine here. Their price was even cheaper than listed. They were then listed at ($230/tire). I bought mine, mounting, and balancing for life. Out the door price $1225 for a set of 5.

They have the 285/75/16 MTRs for $280 each.

Last edited by Brian on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 9:14 am

They do a ton of business. Much is online, but they do have a local in Mooresville. I have seen there ad on this forum before. They do a ton of lifts and large tires. Mainly mallcrawler stuff, but the equipment is the same.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 10:07 am

Get yourself some Treadwright Guard Dogs. Great reviews, and less than half the price of anything else. If I were on a tight budget, I would have gotten 'em.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 11:07 am

Yea Rimzone seems like a cool place but they are still $35 more a tire than Discount.

I will just bight the bullet I guess

I have ran Treadwrights in the past and was happy with them, but they never balanced quite right.

I need something that will be good on the highway and can handle the off road abuse I throw at them
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 12:50 pm

My Falkens were $1100 out the door, with lifetime deal...for 5
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 12:53 pm

They are showing 4 tires (at 280/ea) plus mount and balance ($80) = $1200. Even with tax you are going to be $120 less than the 1400 you are getting from DT.

Is there something else to the $1400 package? I am curious, because I might get new tires next summer.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 7:04 pm

That is with the road hazard. Which is an additional 140. Plus lifetime balance and rotation
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)   Big Shocker!  Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Big Shocker! Peterson's 4wheel features a 4Runner (and from NC)
Page 1 of 1