NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

To Diff drop or not to Diff drop.....that is my question....

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

To Diff drop or not to Diff drop.....that is my question.... Empty
PostSubject: To Diff drop or not to Diff drop.....that is my question....   To Diff drop or not to Diff drop.....that is my question.... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 11:55 am

So, after speaking with CarolinaCruiser15 recently, this question has again surfaced in my mind...

At the end of the year, I will be having the Toytec Ultimate 3" lift with Light Racing UCAs installed (I have all the parts, just waiting till my warranty is up....no flaming!! LOL)

I would like to hear from anyone that has a 3" lift, what type of lift you have and do you have a diff drop installed? What are the pros and cons? Is it necessary and will it truly prolong CV life? Is it worth the loss of clearance? Does it work with Budbuilts, Ricochets, or other skids? If you are not running a diff drop kit, have you had any issues?

Lets here all you have to say!!!

Thanks

Davidb
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: To Diff drop or not to Diff drop.....that is my question....   To Diff drop or not to Diff drop.....that is my question.... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 8:34 am

I'm running the same suspension up front and same control arms as what you've got to put on except that I'm running the silver Eibachs instead of the red springs. I'm running the diff drop on mine and even then, the CVs are at a pretty bad angle in my opinion. I can't imagine how bad it'd be without the drop honestly. Even with it, both of my outer boots are leaking and in need of a new clamp. I think the 1/2" loss of clearance there would be less of a concern for me than the steep CV angle would be. That said, I scrape that area often, along with my rear lower control arms and brackets, so the added clearance would be of use...

I'm not running skids (yet) so I can't comment on that part. Hopefully I can build some sooner than later since the bottom of the truck is looking a little rough. Let me know if you need any help on the install. I'm getting pretty quick doing it. Most people dread the end of their warranty, but you're probably just counting the days aren't you??

--Ryan
Back to top Go down
NCFJ1
VENDOR - HFS
VENDOR - HFS

PostSubject: Re: To Diff drop or not to Diff drop.....that is my question....   To Diff drop or not to Diff drop.....that is my question.... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 8:49 am

I ran a OME 3" lift on my FJC with no diff drop and never had any issues with front axles or CVs.

As far as waiting for the end of the warranty, I understand how you feel. Although, I managed to break my TC rear output shaft and got Toyota to cover it under warranty. I explained to them how their faulty ring gear exploding is what the ultimate cause was.
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: To Diff drop or not to Diff drop.....that is my question....   To Diff drop or not to Diff drop.....that is my question.... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 12:12 am

Speedrye wrote:
Even with it, both of my outer boots are leaking and in need of a new clamp...... --Ryan

Thanks Ryan....I think I was thinking ahead and already purchased the new CV boot clamps from Southeast Overland.

Here is the lift components I have "accumulated" so far (to be installed late this year....after warranty expiration)

TAFCS-6005 - ToyTec Front coil over shocks adjustable from 1 to 3" front lift. Pre set to 2 1/2" lift.

RCC2.0 - ToyTec "Superflex" rear Coils

RFJ-BIL - Bilstein 5100 Rear shocks

FJRL14 - Toytec Extended Rear Braided Stainless Brake Line kit for '07+ FJ & 4Runner '03+

LR-25480 (from Metal Tech) - Light Racing Upper Control Arms

***Soon to be purchased and installed (Hoping August) - Hardline Fabrication/Toy Outfitters Rear Lower Control arms.***
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: To Diff drop or not to Diff drop.....that is my question....   To Diff drop or not to Diff drop.....that is my question.... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 6:31 pm

David, just a little fyi on my end, if you plan to do a full 3" lift up front you may very well run into cv boot issues. All I have is 2.5" up front and 2" in the rear and it has served me well. In early 2011 I noticed grease seeping from one of my cv boots but it was still cold weather. I cleaned it all off and up to this point in time, over a year, I have not seen any more grease present itself. I have had my lift since about 10k miles on the clock and I now have over 47k. I do not have the diff drop but that is something I can actually make in the shop. Nothing more than round aluminum stock, drilled, and parted off on a lathe. Not worth the cost of $30 and shipping in my honest opinion. Does the Budbuilt skid use the oem skid plate mounting points?
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: To Diff drop or not to Diff drop.....that is my question....   To Diff drop or not to Diff drop.....that is my question.... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 10:44 pm

So, is it a matter of leaking CV boots? With original clamp? Does aftermarket clamp prevent leakage? I know with IFS, any lift, even with diff drop, will cause the CV to wear out earlier than stock...Another question is which part of the CV wears out fastest with a lift?
Back to top Go down
Snowdogyyz
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Snowdogyyz

PostSubject: Re: To Diff drop or not to Diff drop.....that is my question....   To Diff drop or not to Diff drop.....that is my question.... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 11:05 am

I have the ICON Stage 1 set up with extended travel coilovers, Light Racing UCA's, Icon springs/shocks in the rear for around 3" of lift. I also had the diff drop installed. I have the front Ricochet bash plate installed. No issues there. Admittedly, I'm not big on rock crawling, so I haven't damaged anything doing that. I have been through hurricane creek with no issues and I haven't had any leaks yet. For me, it was more a "peace of mind" thing I guess. I hear varying stories on needed or not needed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To Diff drop or not to Diff drop.....that is my question....   To Diff drop or not to Diff drop.....that is my question.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To Diff drop or not to Diff drop.....that is my question....
Page 1 of 1