NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
juicedgsr95
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)   Empty
PostSubject: Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)    Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)   Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 2:35 pm

Looking for somewhere to buy some metal, I want to play around with making my own sliders. I have seen it at Lowes but I am hoping there is somewhere that has a better price. Just something simple like this. And if all goes well I may have a go at a rear bumper.

Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)   1
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: metal direct   Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)   Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 4:22 pm

I moved to Asheville from Chapel Hill. I got steel from a place between raliegh and durham. Maybe garner steel or something been years. Google it, there are some choices in that area.
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
85runner
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
85runner

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)    Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)   Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 5:51 pm

Gregory welding off hodge street has plenty of steel. It's where I have gotten all the square tube for my driveshafts. There is another place downtown but the name slips my mind.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)    Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)   Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 7:19 pm

Unless you buy it at good lengths IE. 20' stick you are gonna get ripped off.

If you need a big amount Dillon Supply sells it fairly cheap, not the best pricing, or best people to work with, but it'll do. They don't deal with normal consumers often I guess, when I go in there ordering 20' pieces at a time they look at me funny.
Back to top Go down
juicedgsr95
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)    Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)   Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Cool, thanks guys, guess I will just pick it up at Lowes or Home Depot.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)    Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)   Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 4:55 pm

what sizes are you looking for? round ? square? angle? flat? channel??
Back to top Go down
juicedgsr95
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)    Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)   Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 5:49 pm

Square and plate like is in the picture in the first post. Just a simple style rock rail.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)    Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)   Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 9:00 pm

well with that you will need 2 20' sticks of 2" tube and at least 48" of 4"x 3/8" flat stock... ...i can get you the material and even cut it for you so that it can be transported ...hell ill even build it for you..lol...
Back to top Go down
juicedgsr95
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)    Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)   Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 9:10 pm

What kind of costs would I be looking at for just parts/cut and then for parts cut and welded?

This is where I got the design
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/106626-home-fabricated-sliders-rock-rails.html
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)    Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)   Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 9:22 pm

let me make a call on monday as it is too late for me to call my supplier...i wont charge you anything for cutting...thats simple enough in itself..let me make the calls and ill let you know on monday...and i would also go with 3/8" plate instead of 1/4" as the gentleman in the link did...
Back to top Go down
juicedgsr95
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)    Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)   Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 9:25 pm

Great, thanks!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)    Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)   Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 10:40 pm

no problem...glad to help...
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: rails   Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)   Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 12:14 pm

I'd go with 3/16 square for the rails, and 1/4 plate for the mounts. I would also build the backing plates as tall as you can to spread the load, and add 45 degree braces on top of rail returns to meet the plates that'll hold you. This is how I built my 1st set for my old xj. I beat that rig until it wouldn't move, and it still had perfect rock rails. (no roof or windshield left though.
Back to top Go down
juicedgsr95
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)    Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)   Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 2:39 pm

Good info, thanks. I dont plan on doing any hard core riding but I would hate to center something and crush any body panels.
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: what degree    Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)   Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 7:14 pm

what degree are the rock rails set at as I've noticed all the rails are set down to clear the rockers. Looks like 10 degrees fronm the internet pics I've seen.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)    Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)   Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 7:16 pm

thats about what it is...all the sliders i have built were set at 10 degrees...
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: nice    Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)   Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 8:53 pm

Thanks that was just my guesstimate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)    Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)   Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where to buy steel locally (inexpensive)
Page 1 of 1