NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Swing out sister.....or not?

Go down 
+2
smoky cruiser
bigdogdewey2
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

Swing out sister.....or not? Empty
PostSubject: Swing out sister.....or not?   Swing out sister.....or not? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 7:28 pm

i am very curious as to why there is alot of interest in swing out tire carriers on rear bumpers. Especially on a vehicle that already has the spare tire hung up vertically. Is it a fad? is it really necessary? Does it REALLY offer any advantages? if its to mount a taller tire then MAYBE i can understand that...but it seems that the average size tire is a 285/70/17" which fits the door fine...mine are 295/75 17" and they fit just fine. im curious to hear what you all have to say about this....chime in ya'll...
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: swing out   Swing out sister.....or not? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 7:31 pm

I'll be replacing my rear door tire mount with a custom built plate and basket to hold a cooler etc, and a more beefy tire carrier below the basket. No need for a swingout just extra weight and extra noise probably over time. They do look sweet though, but I think one built on the door would also be sweet.
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Swing out sister.....or not?   Swing out sister.....or not? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 7:41 pm

Now i know that the DOOR will only support so much weight...im not saying that a basket and stronger plate and what not isnt a good idea..i actually love your idea...i just think there is a limit to what you can put on the door...i think however the door WILL support alot more weight than most people will realize...but i think one must be careful...again...i loke the idea actually!@!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Swing out sister.....or not?   Swing out sister.....or not? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 8:38 pm

I half about 3/8" left in radius before I am maxed out with the spare tire carrier. I think I would like to go bigger.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Swing out sister.....or not?   Swing out sister.....or not? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 8:41 pm

you can always flip the carrier too...if you have the camera you can have that remounted also...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Swing out sister.....or not?   Swing out sister.....or not? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 8:44 pm

When you flip the tire carrier, it seems there would be a lot of torque pulling the top part of the carrier away from the door. I know people have done it, but I would have to see how well it holds up.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Swing out sister.....or not?   Swing out sister.....or not? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 9:01 pm

i agree..and it would be nice to see the durability of the flip...but also that is an option...an option that is lighter and cheaper than a swing out...not saying its the best by any means ..jsut pointing that out
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Swing out sister.....or not?   Swing out sister.....or not? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 11:13 pm

I personally don't like the idea of a swing out at all because I use my back door all the time and it's a pain in the butt to have to open a swing out and then the door every time I need something out of the back. That said, I want to maintain usage of my back window since I do use it regularly. My 315s fit on the stock door mount and the window still opens, but my bumper has been trimmed to fit the lower part of the tire since no combination of spacers or flipping the mount would work.

The end result for me is that I'd love to have an alternate location for the spare tire, but I'm too short to even think about lifting 100 lb. tire/wheel to the roof and I don't like swing outs. This leaves my back door mount. Are the stock door hinges inadequate? If so, maybe we need beefier hinges because I also like the idea of a spare carrier and something for fuel and water all on the back door. Anyone else have any other locations to mount the spare, short of removing the rear door and going prerunner style?
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Swing out sister.....or not?   Swing out sister.....or not? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 11:30 pm

yeah see i know im not the only one ...thanks for chimeing in Ryan...i knew that with your big monster tires that this would be an issue...the only other option is underneath the rear...but that doesnt work because its just not big enough even for the stock tire...i too could not see myself lifting a 100lb+ tire wheel combo onto the roof rack. that would be a killer even if it was only once a year?...not happening...i think the idea in the end especially for larger tired FJs is a lower bumper...not lower as in closer to the ground..but lower as far as the "top" lip...the stock bumper has that rounded area that the tire is supposed to fit into...so a bumper that has a lowered lip is what i think i want...
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Swing out sister.....or not?   Swing out sister.....or not? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 12:18 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
i think however the door WILL support alot more weight than most people will realize...but i think one must be careful...

Mike, I know for a fact that the stock carrier can hold more than most think. I've got an aftermarket steel wheel, and actually stood completely on top of my tire while mounted awhile ago... I'm skinny, so I only added 170 lbs, but still, that's a pretty large amount of extra weight on that mount.
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: rear door    Swing out sister.....or not? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 5:58 pm

Well i am guessing my 255x80x17 and the rim weigh 70 ish so 70 plus me = 330 lbs. I climb on my tire to the roof on a regular basis the mount doesnt dent in or flex at all really. If I did a fully inclusive small rack for cooler/2 jerry cans etc. it would still be under 150 lbs loaded with cooler max 200 which I think would be fine. Even if you have to replace hinges in 10 years it would be well worth it. Every one I have ever seen with a swing out has the dreaded rattle. I cannot go 1/4 of a mile with a rattle without losing it. So no swingout for me.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Swing out sister.....or not?   Swing out sister.....or not? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 9:46 pm

smoky cruiser wrote:
Well i am guessing my 255x80x17 and the rim weigh 70 ish so 70 plus me = 330 lbs. I climb on my tire to the roof on a regular basis the mount doesnt dent in or flex at all really. If I did a fully inclusive small rack for cooler/2 jerry cans etc. it would still be under 150 lbs loaded with cooler max 200 which I think would be fine. Even if you have to replace hinges in 10 years it would be well worth it. Every one I have ever seen with a swing out has the dreaded rattle. I cannot go 1/4 of a mile with a rattle without losing it. So no swingout for me.

oh wow i totally agree about a rattle...drives me nuts...im gonna work on looking at something that is mounted to the door at the spare tire mounts those four bolts...that will accomodate a larger than stock tire and hold a couple of gerry cans and/or cooler...i have something bouncing around my head like a pool ball...i agree about the hinges...they have to be pretty strong...i think the issue is how far off center line can you go before you start stressing the rear door skin and hinges..that is the main issue i believe...
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: rear door    Swing out sister.....or not? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 6:35 pm

I believe you are right bdd2. I think that your skin may bend a little over time and use, but I think making a flat full contact backing will considerably help spread the load. Any way who cares about a little skin distorsion the tire will always be there to cover it. When building the backing you can easily raise the tire 3 inches so you can even run 37's on the spare carrier. I am itching to start this mod. I think this will be my next move on my build.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Swing out sister.....or not?   Swing out sister.....or not? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 9:46 pm

I don't want to raise the tire any higher since I'm one of the few that use the window. I like Mikes idea of a lowered bumper. The problem there is the frame is in the way for lowering it too much. My frame is exposed as it sits now and I don't know if the tire would've fit without the body lift.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Swing out sister.....or not?   Swing out sister.....or not? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 10:07 pm

the bumper also can be sloped...so that is an option too..that is the plan i have for my rear bumper that im gonna do...
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Swing out sister.....or not?   Swing out sister.....or not? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 pm

I have my spare carrier flipped a)because I like the look better, b) the tire was hitting the rear ladder and c) I thought it would distribute the weight a little better on the door. With my bigger tire, bike rack and 2 bikes on the back, the door definitely sags and you can hear it when opening and closing the door.

I saw this one swing out carrier that I loved but I dont remember who made it. It basically bolted into the aftermarket rear bumper the guy had so there wasnt any added weight on the door itself. It looked great. Thats the only benefit I see. This guy also had a jerry can on either side of the tire so definitely more weight there.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
cjcradier

PostSubject: Re: Swing out sister.....or not?   Swing out sister.....or not? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 9:52 am

I am going to make a swing down of my cross member. My wheel and tire combo comes in at 112 pounds and puts a lot of stress on the door hinges. I have to lift up a little to close the door so I don't wear out the striker as fast. My carrier is also flipped with a 1.25" hub centric spacer. I have to take the tire of to open the window fully but that is the price you pay for big tires. The swing down is I can remove the rear door and still keep the tire out of the cab and off the roof. I Know this seems like a giant pain to get back there but once you swing open and close your door a few times with out the weight of a heavy tire it feels more natural. also when the door is on I will be able to open the window if I so choose and when it is off i.e. out playing who cares I strap everything down in my truck any way.

The Basher is on its way way to becoming a monster of sorts. Jennifer and I were talking about this this morning and I see a solid axle and a redesigned rear suspension and rear axle in its future. also some body work enlarging the rear wheel wells. I want to be able to stuff a 37" tire with no rubbing. I honestly think I will run no bigger than a 35" but you never know how froggy I will get at a latter date.

To me it is all about taking unwanted weight out of the equation. Shed it where I can and gain it where I need it. I am really taking a simplistic approach to the build now. The winch plate and a stinger made out of .25 wall 1.75' tubing and and tie these in to the sliders. and figure out a way to triangulate to the frame. I just like the FJ's style to get rid of it and start all over with a blank canvas.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Swing out sister.....or not?   Swing out sister.....or not? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 10:39 am

Sounds like exciting times ahead!!! Can't wait to see the build cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swing out sister.....or not?   Swing out sister.....or not? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swing out sister.....or not?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NCFJ Cruisers :: The Garage :: Shop Talk-
Jump to: