NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rotating Spare Tire?

Go down 
+5
Lacey
David B
ULTIMATEcruiser
NC FJ Driver
CarolinaCruiser15
9 posters

When you rotate your tires, do you rotate the spare as well?
Yes
Rotating Spare Tire? Vote_lcap68%Rotating Spare Tire? Vote_rcap
 68% [ 13 ]
No
Rotating Spare Tire? Vote_lcap32%Rotating Spare Tire? Vote_rcap
 32% [ 6 ]
N/A
Rotating Spare Tire? Vote_lcap0%Rotating Spare Tire? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 19

AuthorMessage
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

Rotating Spare Tire? Empty
PostSubject: Rotating Spare Tire?   Rotating Spare Tire? Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 7:54 pm

Hey guys, just a little poll to see what everyone does with their spare when it's time to rotate the other four.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Rotating Spare Tire?   Rotating Spare Tire? Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 8:08 am

I incorporate my spare into the rotation.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Rotating Spare Tire?   Rotating Spare Tire? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 6:01 pm

Almost a month later and only 1 reply?!? Come on guys!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rotating Spare Tire?   Rotating Spare Tire? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 6:12 pm

Just got my FJ in March, so no rotation yet. But when its time, I believe I will. I just have to remember its back there... I always seem to forget! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Rotating Spare Tire?   Rotating Spare Tire? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 7:14 pm

Yes!! Thanks for coming through Katy!!! cheers And thank you for your input as well Very Happy Im thinking rotating all 5 is the way to go.
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Rotating Spare Tire?   Rotating Spare Tire? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 8:32 pm

I have not rotated my spare but wish I had. Now when I get new tires I will have a 5 year old tire that has never touched the road and it will be worthless. I wonder if I could even give it away. When I get new tires I will do the 5 tire rotation.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Rotating Spare Tire?   Rotating Spare Tire? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 10:10 am

Sun Cruiser 6 wrote:
I have not rotated my spare but wish I had. Now when I get new tires I will have a 5 year old tire that has never touched the road and it will be worthless. I wonder if I could even give it away. When I get new tires I will do the 5 tire rotation.

Thanks for the input!!
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Rotating Spare Tire?   Rotating Spare Tire? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 10:24 pm

Sun Cruiser 6 wrote:

Jami, you should be ok to sell the spare, provided it is not dry rotted from sun exposure....I doubt it will be an issue...especially if you sell it as a "spare"
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Rotating Spare Tire?   Rotating Spare Tire? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 10:44 pm

I sold my OEM spare to some guy. Posted it on Craigslist after 1and month of no FJ response. Sold 1 hr after the posting.
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Rotating Spare Tire?   Rotating Spare Tire? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 10:48 pm

CarolinaCruiser15 wrote:
I sold my OEM spare to some guy. Posted it on Craigslist after 1and month of no FJ response. Sold 1 hr after the posting.

Oh yeah, you may not get an FJ'er step right up as we all have good spares to begin with...lol, but there are plenty of people out there with "donuts" that are looking for real tires to use as spares.....

Last edited by David B on Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Rotating Spare Tire?   Rotating Spare Tire? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 10:55 pm

David B wrote:
CarolinaCruiser15 wrote:

Oh yeah, you may not get an FJ'er step right up as we all have good spares to begin with...lol, but there are plenty of people out there with "donuts" that are looking for real tires to use as spares.....

Exactly!!! And btw, I sold mine for $60 because I think they retail for a little over $100. Mine was still brand new.
Back to top Go down
Lacey
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
Lacey

PostSubject: Re: Rotating Spare Tire?   Rotating Spare Tire? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 2:19 pm

i dont rotate the spare in, but when i bought new tires i rotated the "new" spare in and but my best old tire as the new spare. the next set i will rotate my best old tire to the spare again and discard the old spare, if that makes sense. i keep the spare tire treated to help prevent dry rot and check the pressure whenever i rotate tires.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Rotating Spare Tire?   Rotating Spare Tire? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 2:21 pm

Lacey wrote:
i dont rotate the spare in, but when i bought new tires i rotated the "new" spare in and but my best old tire as the new spare. the next set i will rotate my best old tire to the spare again and discard the old spare, if that makes sense. i keep the spare tire treated to help prevent dry rot and check the pressure whenever i rotate tires.

Great, thanks for the input.
Back to top Go down
Xx_Black-out
South Carolina Liaison
South Carolina Liaison
Xx_Black-out

PostSubject: Re: Rotating Spare Tire?   Rotating Spare Tire? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 12:25 am

What's the "pattern" for rotating in a spare?

I've seen several variations of this for just 4:
Rotating Spare Tire? Tire-Info-Rotation
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Rotating Spare Tire?   Rotating Spare Tire? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 1:10 am

I just bring it to Discount Tire and they do all 5 for me. I won't go anywhere else for tires.
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: Rotating Spare Tire?   Rotating Spare Tire? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 1:55 am

I love that place. I have always received the best customer service from them. I have already told my wife that when I need new tires we will be making a trip to the discount by you since it is the closest one.

As far as rotation, normally if I have a full size spare I would rotate it as well, but my FJ was used and had 30k on it so I didn't bother with this set.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Rotating Spare Tire?   Rotating Spare Tire? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 11:38 am

I rotate all five. Had a 95 Wrangler and didnt and after four years and 100K miles, the spare was rotting on the inside that didnt get any attention. Since if I've got a full size spare, it goes into the rotation.

Oops, just re-read the thread and realized I've already posted...oh, well, this one has more "meat"!Laughing
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Rotating Spare Tire?   Rotating Spare Tire? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 12:20 pm

totald wrote:
I love that place. I have always received the best customer service from them. I have already told my wife that when I need new tires we will be making a trip to the discount by you since it is the closest one.

As far as rotation, normally if I have a full size spare I would rotate it as well, but my FJ was used and had 30k on it so I didn't bother with this set.

Yeah, Ive been having them rotate all 5 since I got my new tires a while ago. Let me know when you guys come out and we can meet up for lunch/dinner. I also know the manager at the Discount Tire so we can head in together and Ill have them rotate mine or something. I think Im the ONLY FJ that goes in there because they all welcome me when I pull in. LOL
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Rotating Spare Tire?   Rotating Spare Tire? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 1:19 pm

Definitely rotate your spare into the mix. It will give you extra miles before you have to buy new tires. Also, if you ever cut a tire (like I have) you can move that tire to your spare and then have a 4-tire rotation where tread life on those 4 tires is about equal. I wouldn't want to run 3 worn and 1 new tire for an extended period of time.

When it comes time for new tires, especially if you are going with the same type of tire (AT v MT) and really especially if you are going with the exact same tire (KM2, BFG ATKO, etc) then keep the best of your 5 current tires as a spare and you can then only buy 4 tires and rotate the 4. After that set though I would probably go with 5 new tires as a tire's life will decrease just sitting on the back of your FJ from sun and weather exposure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Rotating Spare Tire?   Rotating Spare Tire? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 1:37 pm

Great advice.. Thanks Steve
Back to top Go down
rylandnc
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
rylandnc

PostSubject: Re: Rotating Spare Tire?   Rotating Spare Tire? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 2:14 pm

I don't because my curtains don't match the carpet. In other words I didn't upgrade my spare when I put new tires on. I was too cheap, maybe next set.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rotating Spare Tire?   Rotating Spare Tire? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rotating Spare Tire?
Page 1 of 1