NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What would you do if this was your spotter?

Go down 
+7
Southeast Overland
Crazy Hube
bigdogdewey2
Scottydog
crogers6569
NCFJ1
MadToy
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

What would you do if this was your spotter? Empty
PostSubject: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 1:34 pm

Not sure exactly what I would do in a situation like this. Can't remember if this is a repost - but it does bring up a good topic of the proper way to spot someone over an obstacle....

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 2:37 pm

What a freakin idiot! Yeah, the correct way is too not let a stupid idiot spot for you. I mean holy cow. I am a novice for sure, but that was a wreck coming in slow motion. What I also don't get is how the people around there didn't say anything. I watched it 3 times to see if I missed anything.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 2:43 pm

I looked for the same thing. With so many people standing around, you would think someone would have stopped the lunatic doing the spotting. Poor guy seemed like he didn't want to do what she was telling him, but she kept insisting, and no one else stepped in. What a shame. Waste of a new $40k truck.....
Back to top Go down
NCFJ1
VENDOR - HFS
VENDOR - HFS

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 3:34 pm

Pretty sad indeed. I never take spotting advice from someone I do not trust, period. All too often "bystanders" think that they can spot. It takes a seasoned driver to be a good spotter. Complete understanding of the entire vehicle is needed. All too often spotters are paying attention to one or two tires and not the rest of the rig.
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 4:50 pm

I only spot for people who have a vehicle similar to something I am familiar with wheeling. I cant stand it when people who are used to wheeling realy flexy Jeeps try to spot an ifs truck because they expect you to have a ton of flex to keep the tires on te ground.
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 9:39 pm

Normally I would not hit a woman...BUT...
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 9:57 pm

was the "spotter" with the person in that Jeep? i mean did they know each other? thats what i would like to know....i will say this however...the driver should have gotten his Buh-tox out and looked regardless of knowing or trusting the "spotter"...

if i didnt know that "spotter" and they were in a different ride...mu bipolar Buh-tox would be beating the absolute crap out of the "spotters" vehicle...or letting it roll of a ledge...but seriously...its as much fault of the driver as anyone...sucks for him more though...
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 10:02 pm

He clearly didn't know the vehicle and neither did the spotter.
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 10:59 pm

any time I feel like my spotter might be telling me something stupid I stop get out and look myself.

Im really not sure why that jeep didnt just go straigh up the ledges instead of trying to make a turn across the ledges.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 11:25 pm

clear to me that there was no experience from either of them...i mean zero...
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 10:53 am

You have to trust your spotter and your spotter has to know what the heck they are doing and be confident. The spotter in the video seemed confident but she put the driver in a bad spot and the driver didn't know when to call it quits. You have to listen to your spotter but you have the final say so in/if/when you do something.

With that said, if your spotter is putting you in a bad position then you need to get out and check things out for yourself, or get a new spotter. I've done both. This past week at Golden Mountain I had a good spotter but twice called it quits and pulled line when I was on the brink of flopping. When the tip-o-meter is past 30 degrees and all I can see is sky then I'm past my comfort level and anyone in front of my rig had better watch out because a tree strap and winch controller are flying out the window in your direction.
Back to top Go down
http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
2011TRDIceberg
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2011TRDIceberg

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 10:36 pm

Women Spotter was the first mistake. Buying a Jeep was the second.
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 11:00 pm

I am definitely a novice when it comes to crawling, but having to rely on your vehicle to slide correctly doesn't seem right.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 11:02 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I can see where it's never a good idea to have the wheels at full lock either up or down a rocky ledge like that.
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: dumb Buh-tox spotter   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 11:58 pm

This spotter was f**king idiot, so was he as its obvious that he had a clean line about 4 feet to the right.
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 6:28 am

I retract my earlier statement. The spotter is a genius and a "ground breaker" in the offroading sport. Upon my 4th viewing of the video its clear she was trying to pull off a complete sideways climb. This has never been done before and they were reaching for the stars. I salute their can-do attitudes!
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 10:56 am

2011TRDIceberg wrote:
Women Spotter was the first mistake. Buying a Jeep was the second.

I don't know if I would go that far. One of the few people I (almost) totally trust to spot my vehicle is a woman.

totald wrote:
I am definitely a novice when it comes to crawling, but having to rely on your vehicle to slide correctly doesn't seem right.

Sometimes in certain terrain you can't steer into a line and you have to more or less slide into the line. Seen it done many a time, done it a few times myself, and even have seen video of a friend on a steep downhill trail put his vehicle into 2WD and reverse to slide into a line.

MadToy wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I can see where it's never a good idea to have the wheels at full lock either up or down a rocky ledge like that.

Wheels at full lock often put your junk at a higher risk of breakage. I try to back off just a bit of full lock when turning and either on the skinny or in any similar situation where you can bind the front end and snap-crackle-pop your equipment. Being at full or almost full lock can help steady your vehicle by turning you into a flop and effectively chocking a wheel and making the vehicle more stable.
Back to top Go down
http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 4:39 pm

It all comes down to experience. Im gong on year 12 of trail riding in all kinds of rigs and still met people every time i go out that have no experience or that can teach me a lot. It all comes down to having the experience to know who falls into which category.
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: spotter   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 8:51 pm

Any man or woman can be a equally good spotter, but it takes years of skill, and experience I wouldn't have remotely listened to that spotter I would've got out and spotted my self as soon as she beckoned me leftwards nono. She was a f------g moron and obviously a worthlees trail partner. My wife spots me all the time and has skills.
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 12:57 am

smoky cruiser wrote:
Any man or woman can be a equally good spotter, but it takes years of skill, and experience I wouldn't have remotely listened to that spotter I would've got out and spotted my self as soon as she beckoned me leftwards nono. She was a f------g moron and obviously a worthlees trail partner. My wife spots me all the time and has skills.

I really think she watched to many Moab videos on YouTube of people on rocker knocker. But that isn't rocker knocker.
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 10:44 pm

Is this the same spot as in the video??? I believe it is the very same spot......Looks very familiar.....

What would you do if this was your spotter? PritchettCanyon-76
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 12:11 am

no that spot isnt the same but the spotter was trying to make them take a line similar to the line you take to get up rocker knocker in larry's picture. Its a result of watching to many youtube videos instead of knowing what your doing.
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 12:16 am

crogers6569 wrote:
no that spot isnt the same but the spotter was trying to make them take a line similar to the line you take to get up rocker knocker in larry's picture. Its a result of watching to many youtube videos instead of knowing what your doing.

What IS the spot when the j**p failed then? Just curious.
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 12:25 am

nope i was off thought that was a spot on potato salad hill but its rocker knocker for sure... they are just way far right.
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 12:36 am

crogers6569 wrote:
nope i was off thought that was a spot on potato salad hill but its rocker knocker for sure... they are just way far right.

Ahhh. Thanks Chad. I know it was obviously shot from a different angle...and Larry does look like he is "perched precariously".....can't wait to talk to him in person to hear the stories....Glad Larry made it through with better results than our J**p friend...... affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would you do if this was your spotter?   What would you do if this was your spotter? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What would you do if this was your spotter?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NCFJ Cruisers :: General/Off Topic Discussion :: "All Other" Posts-
Jump to: