NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount Empty
PostSubject: Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount   Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 11:31 am

So, the spare I have on the back is the same as the other 4 tires; 285/70/17 GY Duratrac. I noticed that the combined weight of the spare, my bike rack and road bike was weighing down the door a little. The tire by itself was rubbing the rear bumber but when I added the rack and bike, you could actually hear the door rub slightly when opening and closing. I guess too much weight.

I was thinking of something (free) to do to redistribute the weight and also eliminate the rear bumper rub. I read on the FJ Forum that some people flip the spare mount to give more bumper clearance. I thought it might also help with the weight, since it would be tilted back instead of completely erect. I decided to give it a shot.

I think it looks a little funky but it seems to have fixed both problems; the tire doesnt rub the bumper and the door opens and closes smoothly. The only issue is that the mount pushes against the rear windshield wiper, but it still seems to work fine.

Any thoughts or long term experience with this?? Thanks guys!! BTW, sorry for the lousy pics... carport at 11pm last night!

Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount 2011-05-23_22-33-53_808

Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount 2011-05-23_22-34-03_818

Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount 2011-05-23_22-34-49_934
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas
tbulluck
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
tbulluck

PostSubject: Re: Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount   Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 12:37 pm

I think it looks great!

Hopefully it was the size of the tire and the weight of the rack on the back door, hopefully your road bike is not that heavy.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount   Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 12:43 pm

tbulluck wrote:
I think it looks great!

Hopefully it was the size of the tire and the weight of the rack on the back door, hopefully your road bike is not that heavy.

Thanks. I think it was a combination of the two. It almost seemed like the weight of the bike rack and bike was causing the mount to pull away from the body of the truck, where as now it seems like it resting on it. Not sure if that makes sense. geek
Back to top Go down
tbulluck
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
tbulluck

PostSubject: Re: Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount   Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 12:45 pm

sure...that makes complete nonsense j/k

Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount Bunny_with_pancake

what is your road bike?
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount   Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 12:50 pm

hahaha EXACTLY!!!! cyclops

Its a Fuji Roubaix. Its considered a "mid-level" bike but I love it and a HUGE improvement from the one I had before. You ride??
Back to top Go down
tbulluck
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
tbulluck

PostSubject: Re: Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount   Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 12:54 pm

i do a little riding.....nice flat eastern NC roads. Did the country roads tour last weekend in Scotland Neck. i have done the Cycle NC Fall ride twice and the CNC spring ride once. usually with the wife and neighbors on the weekend, we ride and talk.....we are not pushing the 21 mph grp.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount   Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 12:59 pm

tbulluck wrote:
i do a little riding.....nice flat eastern NC roads. Did the country roads tour last weekend in Scotland Neck. i have done the Cycle NC Fall ride twice and the CNC spring ride once. usually with the wife and neighbors on the weekend, we ride and talk.....we are not pushing the 21 mph grp.

Nice!!! Ive only been in Raleigh for about 2 1/2yrs but this September will be the third time I ride the MS Ride in New Bern. Im definitely more of a casual/social/15mph rider. I just like to be outside and see the sites. lol.
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount   Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 10:09 pm

back on track I really like the angle of the spare.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount   Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opinions Needed re: Flipping Spare Mount
Page 1 of 1