NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper

Go down 
+3
ncorn38
Speedrye
Xx_Black-out
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Xx_Black-out
South Carolina Liaison
South Carolina Liaison
Xx_Black-out

Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper Empty
PostSubject: Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper   Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 8:24 am

Difficulty Rating: Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper WrenchIconBig - Easy

Some people may not know it but the factory bumper on the FJ Cruiser is made to accept up to four 6" lights.
Here is a simple walkthrough of how to utilize this feature. I would advise reading this in its entirety before starting, just in case questions arise...

Tools needed:
- Drill
- Drill bits
- Pliers (vise-grips preferably)
- A nail
- Cigarette lighter
- Socket wrench
- Deep-well sockets with extension(s)

Step 1 - Create pilot holes
Take the nail and secure it tightly in pliers, then heat the tip of the nail until it's very hot. Carefully, lay under the front of the FJ and see where you'll be making the holes. Push the hot nail through the center of the end holes, as shown:

Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper Mountlocations

You should now have this:

Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper IMG_20110507_152655

Step 2 - Drill out bumper and install end light mounts
Now that you have the pilot holes, you can drill the bumper for the end 2 lights. The size of the hole will be determined by the size of the studs on your light mounts. Once you have the holes drilled, you install the light mounts. It should look like this:

Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper IMG_20110507_153205

Step 3 - Create center pilot holes
Next you need to create pilot holes for the center lights. Took a tape measure and calculated the distance I would need for 6" Hella lights. It turned out to be the very outside edges of the center mounts. [see step 4]
**Tip 1:
When using the hot nail to push through the bumper, you can apply ample pressure without going all the way through and this will cause a "bump" on top of the bumper. You can use this to help measure your center mounting points before actually creating the pilot hole.

Step 4 - Drill bumper and install center mounts
I calculated that I would need to drill the outside of the center mounts. After creating the pilot holes, drilling the bumper and installing the mounts I ended up with this:

Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper IMG_20110507_161145

Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper IMG_20110507_161347

Step 5 - Install lights on the mounts
...and you're done! All you need to do now is the wiring.

Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper IMG_20110507_154508

Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper IMG_20110507_162936

Last edited by Xx_Black-out on Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Xx_Black-out
South Carolina Liaison
South Carolina Liaison
Xx_Black-out

PostSubject: Re: Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper   Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 8:27 am

I was rushed to complete this guide, so if something is unclear please let me know...

Tip:
When using the hot nail to push through the bumper, you can apply ample pressure without going all the way through and this will cause a "bump" on top of the bumper. You can use this to help measure your center mounting points before actually creating the pilot hole.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper   Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 1:22 pm

Looks good to me! I did the same thing with my Hella 700s except I just drilled through the plastic instead of using a nail. I did find that my lights bounced/vibrated a little but it wasn't enough to make it worth a custom support bracket underneath.
Back to top Go down
ncorn38
MODERATOR - Trail Scout
MODERATOR - Trail Scout
ncorn38

PostSubject: Re: Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper   Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 5:49 pm

Cool, thanks for the info!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/people/Nick-Aaron-Corn/100000272912625
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper   Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 12:24 pm

Good write up... thanks Nick
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper   Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 1:55 pm

So where is the wiring part...I am electronically challenged...Question
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper   Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 2:31 pm

Wiring? Those are just for show and hence no wiring is needed Very Happy

I've got the OEM directions on wiring if you're using an OEM switch and harness inside the truck. PM me your email address if you want me to forward that pdf to you.
Back to top Go down
WillyWake
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
WillyWake

PostSubject: Re: Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper   Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:07 pm

I want to do this but im still a little concerned about how much they will jiggle. I know theres metal there and i was wondering if anyone else had any input on this?
Back to top Go down
SingleTrack
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
SingleTrack

PostSubject: Re: Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper   Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 12:11 am

I have mounted my two exactly as described above. You'll have to make sure you have a deep socket for whatever mm bolt/nut you'll be using. Just tighten it all the way down as much as you can. That's what I did and I've had 0 issues, wiggle or jiggle. That's what she said.
Back to top Go down
WillyWake
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
WillyWake

PostSubject: Re: Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper   Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 1:04 pm

Ha, yeah just got done mounting mine. Seems perfect. I heard toyota made the bumper to hold the lights. Even had a layer of rubber in there to seal it up!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper   Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mounting Offroad Lights on Stock Bumper
Page 1 of 1