NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!

Go down 
+5
NC FJ Driver
tbulluck
Xx_Black-out
Speedrye
totald
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Empty
PostSubject: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 12:42 am

DIFFICULTY RATING:
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! WrenchIconBigCB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! WrenchIconBig

Neither the author of this article nor NCFJ Cruisers administration are responsible for any injury or damage you incur. This is a "how to" thread and all persons assume all liabilities upon doing this work. Please proceed with caution!

Parts used:
4ft firestik II antenna
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Fs-antna

Firestik Internal Locking Quick Disconnect
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! K-1a-hz

Firestik Heavy Duty SS Spring
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Ss-3h&m

Firestik Antenna Stud Mount
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! K-4r

Firestik EZ install 2 piece coax cable with fire ring
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Mu-8r18

Ancor Marine Thrudeck PL259 Coax Connector from West Marine
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! 238568

Dual Male PL259 connector
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! PRS1C-2265741w345

Dual 12v aux power plug from west marine (because it was black)
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! 6867931

For starters I will explain a bit. I used a bandi mount as most will, or should. I followed the same routing for the coax from the bandi to the interior as most have. I drilled a hole in the door jam and used a rubber grommet for the hole. The bit size for this varies important because it is all dependent on the size of the cable end and the grommet used.

I routed the cable into the door through the drilled hole and back out through the vehicle's harness feed through into the jack storage area. CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! 0f455078
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Bbd90f9c

I then removed the rear door lower trim piece, folded up the rear floor matt, and pulled back the left side interior paneling as I routed the cable.
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! 58dcf515
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! 33d23d39
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Be3d4e82

I continued running the coax along the main wire harness all the way to the front driver side door sill. I removed the lower attachment bolt for the rear seat belt so the panel could be pulled back.
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! F9505030
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Fa4dea7b

This is coming down over the wheel well to the door sill
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! 3e4ec971

Then along the door sill till just in front of the rear attachment points for the driver seat
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! 4da3bfc6
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! 2c77fa3e

I used a wire hanger to feed the coax under the flooring to the center console area. The upper and lower center console pieces have been removed. Once across I ran the coax forward along the hump to just behind the shift levers, across the hump, and then forward again to the front passenger side corner of the upper center console piece.
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! F54ffbc2
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! B77a3daf
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! D714c740

With the upper center console piece removed, I used a 16mm hole bit for the thrudeck connector. It was the closest size I had so my dremel did the rest. Then I installed the thrudeck connector and connected the coax to the back side. I am using a cap from work for the front when the CB is not installed.
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! 32038ae4
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Febbd1f7
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! 6e30e15d

The CB/coax install was paused here for the aux 12v plug installs.

I used a 1" bit because it was the biggest I had. Once again my dremel did the rest. Then I installed the front 12v plug next to the coax feedthrough as seen in the pics above. Using the same bit I drilled for and installed the rear 12v plug in the rear center console cup holder/storage hole.
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! 1263b4ae
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! 96add3e3

Power is coming from an add-a-circuit at the interior fuse panel. I placed it in a blank spot because there are so many and I picked a spot that is always hot because I wanted to be able to charge my phone on trips while leaving the vehicle locked.
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Dca37b2a

Fed under the steering wheel, behind and under the lower switch panel to the front right 12v plug. There it was spliced to the rear plug.
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! 257078b7
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Fce1ce97
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! 64182556

Ground was routed from the right side lower center console bolt mount to the front and rear plugs.
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! 962feeb7

From this point, before reattaching all paneling and console pieces a multimeter was used to check continuity from the coax connector center pin to my antenna base and from the outer shell to the vehicle (ground). Then center pin to the vehicle (ground) was checked to ensure no continuity.

Voltage checks were done from the center contact of each 12v plug to vehicle (ground) to ensure proper polarity and 12v was being delivered in all key settings.

After checks and reinstalling paneling.
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! 0e3da2b5
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! F121b9dc

My CB of choice was the Midland 75-822. It uses a 12v plug for power and a separate connection for antenna. The antenna connector on the Midland vehicle harness is female as is the feedthrough PL259 connector I used on my center console. The final connector, male to male, I will keep on the end of my CB harness so I have a quick connect/disconnect.
CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! 6ae30d6d

Hopefully this is comprehensive enough. If you have any questions let me know.

Difficulty:
If you have a basic understanding of electricity, I would say this is one wrench. It was very time consuming (6 +/- hours) but very easy.

Last edited by totald on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 8:11 am

I can see why you were away from the forum for a few days now, you've been busy! That looks real clean from Bandi to console. What does everyone use their 12v plugs for though? I've never used mine and frankly don't even know if it works. I'm not much of one for portable gadgets though, so that might be it.
Back to top Go down
Xx_Black-out
South Carolina Liaison
South Carolina Liaison
Xx_Black-out

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 8:29 am

Very nice! I'll be following suit one of these days..

Speedrye wrote:
I can see why you were away from the forum for a few days now, you've been busy! That looks real clean from Bandi to console. What does everyone use their 12v plugs for though? I've never used mine and frankly don't even know if it works. I'm not much of one for portable gadgets though, so that might be it.

I keep my GPS plugged into mine, so it automatically shuts off when I turn the ignition off.

I need to install more 12V outlets so I can charge my phone, run a radar detector, etc. too.

Last edited by Xx_Black-out on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 8:30 am

Definitely a portable gadget thing. We take trips pretty often and have kids. My wife and I both have iPhones so the kids play games on them when they get board. Also, we have a Garmin GPS that we use on trips and now my CB. I have the Midland 75-822 which uses a 12v plug. With the extra plugs added I can do any combination of three while traveling which is a bonus for us.

Edited first post with one more connector and an estimated difficulty rating.
Back to top Go down
tbulluck
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
tbulluck

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 11:04 am

Nice write up Dave. Pic heavy for sure, lots of great pics.

Did you solder any of the connections for the CB?
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 11:12 am

Didn't have any connections to solder or crimp. Precisely why I bought the cable I used. It is all screw on connectors and they are tight connections.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 9:09 pm

Very nice install and great pics, thanks for posting them up! cheers
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 10:09 pm

Very nice install. I like the connector on the side of the console. That is where I also have a hot 12v power supply. Guess I need the thrudeck and the male to male now. For the trudeck, is there a nut on either side of the plastic? Looks like there are 2 on the outside.
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 12:05 am

One on both sides. Light reflection plays trick off of metal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks for the write up! I'm going to run something like this for my CB as well as an extra 12V hot all the time extra connection... probably going out back where the inverter would be.
Back to top Go down
ncorn38
MODERATOR - Trail Scout
MODERATOR - Trail Scout
ncorn38

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 5:55 pm

Awesome write up!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/people/Nick-Aaron-Corn/100000272912625
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks. I had this pictured in my head for a long time before I was able to make it happen.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 2:52 pm

Speedrye wrote:
What does everyone use their 12v plugs for though? I've never used mine and frankly don't even know if it works. I'm not much of one for portable gadgets though, so that might be it.

GPS, cell car charger, XM radio, CB... thats about it. I need to add another few 12v plugs.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas
tbulluck
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
tbulluck

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 2:58 pm

wife's cell, I have an extra 12v under my dash and a dash mount for my phone, CB, GPS, spot light, KID STUFF (DVD player, bottle warmer), and the blender (of course).
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 3:00 pm

tbulluck wrote:
wife's cell, I have an extra 12v under my dash and a dash mount for my phone, CB, GPS, spot light, KID STUFF (DVD player, bottle warmer), and the blender (of course).

Blender..... awesome. lol!
Back to top Go down
tbulluck
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
tbulluck

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 3:01 pm

needed for camping and tailgating, and now because of the kid (daddy needs his nerve juice).
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 3:03 pm

tbulluck wrote:
needed for camping and tailgating, and now because of the kid (daddy needs his nerve juice).

Hey, you didnt have to justify it!! Completely understandable.
Back to top Go down
tbulluck
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
tbulluck

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 3:04 pm

it seems that I have to justify everything.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 3:05 pm

tbulluck wrote:

Dont worry, its the same story with me. Even the justifications need justifications.
Back to top Go down
tbulluck
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
tbulluck

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 3:06 pm

CarolinaCruiser15 wrote:
tbulluck wrote:

Dont worry, its the same story with me. Even the justifications need justifications.

cheers I am not alone.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 3:07 pm

tbulluck wrote:
CarolinaCruiser15 wrote:
tbulluck wrote:

cheers I am not alone.

Nope! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 11:18 pm

For you guys, I have been married going on 14 years and I have a 12 yr old and a 6 yr old. Justification is the name of the husband/daddy game.
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 11:19 pm

Oh yeah, I am glad I took awesome pictures for this since I have to do it all over again. lol!
Back to top Go down
tbulluck
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
tbulluck

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 9:10 am

totald wrote:
Oh yeah, I am glad I took awesome pictures for this since I have to do it all over again. lol!

should take 1/4 of the time this time around.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 10:33 am

Hahaha Dave.... I dont understand why there has to be justification for everything. I should be able to do something "just because" dammit! lol. Oh well. I'll heed your advice.

Yeah, Ive always found that the second time around goes twice as fast. After cutting the rubber mat for the seat backs, the rear cargo one took me about 10mins!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy!   CB/coax and 2x aux power plug install. Pic Heavy! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next