Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Any fix for driver's seat bottom cushion?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MAG
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Any fix for driver's seat bottom cushion?   Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:08 am

I'm posting this out of desperation. My driver's seat bottom cushion is quickly becoming a literal pain in my backside. About an hour behind the wheel is all it takes for my right leg/thigh to begin to hurt. Its been this way since I bought my FJ back in March. This does not happen with any other vehicle I drive. I'm guessing that the bottom seat cushion padding is just too thin or there is a problem with the seat frame. As much as I drive I need to find a solution for this. Does anybody have a similar problem with their FJ? Are there any TSBs out for similar problems?

As much as I like my FJ, if I can't find a fix for this it may soon become a deal breaker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: seat bottom   Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:34 am

dude apparently the seat issue is a real one...i have heard several folks with the same problem and not heard good things...so far i am lucky in that it hasnt happened to me ...talk to Rolando and see if he has anything to add....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Any fix for driver's seat bottom cushion?   Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:41 am

Mike, Rolando has the "sinking seat" syndrome I believe. Not sure if MAG is referring to this or not. MAG, is this a seat adjustment issue or a seat design? Every person is built differently, I am not a small guy, and I have never ha this issue. I know this past summer I drove to Colorado I've a 3 day period, spending 13 total hours a day behind the wheel for those travel days out and back. And I only stopped when I was running low on fuel. So there were some long stretches of straight driving. Maybe there is an issue with your particular truck? Have you tried driving another FJ? I know that may not be possible, just thinking out loud. I hope you find an answer, would hate to see you have give to give up your ride.

Follow me on Twitter: @NCFJ_Cruisers1

NCFJ Cruisers YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NCFJCruisers

2010 Trail Teams Edition - ToyTec 3" Ultimate Lift, Light Racing UCA's, PIAA XTreme White Plus headlights, PIAA 520 series Fog/Driving lights, 2010 BudBuilt Front Skid, BudBuilt engine skid, Ricochet LCA guards, BajaRack OEM roofrack basket, MaxTrax recovery ramps, Husky Floor Liners, Midland 75-822 40 Channel 2 Way Radio, Bandi Mount with 4' Firestick II, OrangeBoxx Side Cubby PSD (NCFJ Edition), Outrider Suspension armor, K&N drop in airfilter for on-road travel, OEM Airfilter when wheeling.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
rylandnc
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: Any fix for driver's seat bottom cushion?   Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:17 am

I don't have an issue with my FJ but did on my GMC 2500. I took it to a local auto upholstery shop and they added some batting/foam on the seat bottom for me. It made a world of difference.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Any fix for driver's seat bottom cushion?   Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:20 am

I have the sinking seat issue myself but have never had any leg pain from driving. I have been on a few trips leaving out early morning and returning home about 13-14 hours later and have not had any leg issues but I do know what you are talking about. Back in the late 90's my wife had a Dodge Avenger ES and it was like that. We could drive just a few hours on a trip and my rump and legs would begin to ache as well as my feet.

Maybe you should experiment with the height adjustment on your seat to see if that would help. I have mine raised up nearly as high as it will go and I have the front of the seat adjusted to where it feels just right for me. I like to see over the hood as much as I can as well.

2014 Ultimate Edition Trail Teams
Jami Stanley
Back to top Go down
View user profile
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: Any fix for driver's seat bottom cushion?   Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:21 pm

15 hours during my transfer to Elizabeth CIty and I had no problems. I would go with the upholstery shop idea. I bet the price is minimal and they can get the shape right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MAG
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Any fix for driver's seat bottom cushion?   Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:59 pm

Thanks for the replies. I've tried adjusting the seat and even how I sit in the seat, but there is little improvement. I have not tried another FJ, but I will do that.

Should I try the dealership first (its still under warranty) or just take it to a upholstery shop?

I plan on going to the FJ summit in Colorado in July (already have reservations), but I have to find a solution to this before then.

I'll keep everybody posted on what happens.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Any fix for driver's seat bottom cushion?   Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:03 pm

I would definitely try sitting in another FJ, new one if possible. If there is a difference in how the seat feels I would certainly try to see if the dealer would help you out. Other than that you might want to check into an upholstery shop.

2014 Ultimate Edition Trail Teams
Jami Stanley
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MAG
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Any fix for driver's seat bottom cushion?   Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:32 am

Just an update. A friend of mine who owns an upholstery shop put an additional layer of foam in the bottom seat cushion. While it did not completely eliminate the problem, it definitely improved the comfort of the seat to the point where I can drive for extended periods with minimal problems. While the seat was apart, we looked over the seat frame, foam and stitching but did not find any obvious problems. I guess I just don't have enough natural padding in my rear!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Any fix for driver's seat bottom cushion?   Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:35 am

MAG wrote:
Just an update. A friend of mine who owns an upholstery shop put an additional layer of foam in the bottom seat cushion. While it did not completely eliminate the problem, it definitely improved the comfort of the seat to the point where I can drive for extended periods with minimal problems. While the seat was apart, we looked over the seat frame, foam and stitching but did not find any obvious problems. I guess I just don't have enough natural padding in my rear!! Laughing

Glad you and your rear are getting better results! cheers

Follow me on Twitter: @NCFJ_Cruisers1

NCFJ Cruisers YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NCFJCruisers

2010 Trail Teams Edition - ToyTec 3" Ultimate Lift, Light Racing UCA's, PIAA XTreme White Plus headlights, PIAA 520 series Fog/Driving lights, 2010 BudBuilt Front Skid, BudBuilt engine skid, Ricochet LCA guards, BajaRack OEM roofrack basket, MaxTrax recovery ramps, Husky Floor Liners, Midland 75-822 40 Channel 2 Way Radio, Bandi Mount with 4' Firestick II, OrangeBoxx Side Cubby PSD (NCFJ Edition), Outrider Suspension armor, K&N drop in airfilter for on-road travel, OEM Airfilter when wheeling.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
PRPseats
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Any fix for driver's seat bottom cushion?   Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:47 pm

MAG wrote:

Hi MAG,

I'm new to the forums and was browsing around, saw that you wrote about some seat issues and I was wondering if you've ever looked into aftermarket suspension seats? www.prpseats.com is our website, we're based out of Southern California and have been around since 97' - Everything is made here. Our suspension seats range from $245 - $425

Take a look at the daily driver. Runs $279 and our top seller.

http://prpseats.com/Category/4-roadster-series.aspx

If I can help you out let me know, you can reach me at 800-317-6253 or jason@prpseats.com or PM here. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.prpseats.com
NCFJ1
VENDOR - HFS
VENDOR - HFS

PostSubject: Re: Any fix for driver's seat bottom cushion?   Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:57 am

I had a similar issue as did my wife. We called it "FJ Butt". I ended up installing Corbeau Suspension seats. They new seats made all the difference in the world. I also added 2" risers when I installed them which improved the sitght lines over the hood. Still plenty of head room.

I also went with 4 point restraints to go with the new seats. THey made a great deal of difference off road in that you only use your arms to drive rather than to also help keep your position in the seat. I noticed after the first trip with them that my arms were not tired at all.

Being comfortable both on and off road is important to safety as well as comfort. I have installed new seats in several vehicles over the years and it makes a big difference. Don't continue to drive around with seats that you are not comfortable in.

I now am a dealer for Corbeau if you find yourself wanting a set.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MAG
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Any fix for driver's seat bottom cushion?   Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:53 pm

Very tempting option. I will definitely consider it. I really wish Toyota would upgrade the factory seats in FJs. I know they can do better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bluewater
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Any fix for driver's seat bottom cushion?   Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:29 pm

Hey Guys;  Just saw this post and I have the EXACT same problem.  My right thigh and leg hurt like hell!!  I have a new 2012 FJ which I bought last Feb but only have 2000 miles on it, since I take the train to work each day.

I have never had an issue like this with any vehicle.  I've tried adjusting the seat in every possible way.  It's sooo disappointing!  I was going to try some type of seat cushion but it doesn't sit well with me (no pun intended) needing a cushion for a vehicle costing over 30 grand.

I'm 6' tall 165 pounds so on the skinny side.  It's like the right lip of the seat just digs in or something.  Crazy..

Joe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any fix for driver's seat bottom cushion?   

Back to top Go down

Any fix for driver's seat bottom cushion?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1