NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Where do you camp

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

Where do you camp Empty
PostSubject: Where do you camp   Where do you camp Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 12:45 am

Im interested in Primitive camping off forest service roads in national forests. Anyone have a secret little hiding spot you like to head out to?
Back to top Go down
tbulluck
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
tbulluck

Where do you camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do you camp   Where do you camp Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 10:07 am

Mountains: I camp on the service road at linville falls.

somewhat coastal: Havelock, NC: Flanners Beach Road or Pine Cliff Road; camp on the shore of the neuse.
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

Where do you camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do you camp   Where do you camp Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 11:14 pm

I think im gonna pull out my FSR atlas and go exploring some this summer, need some better places to get away from it all
Back to top Go down
FiJiKrawl
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FiJiKrawl

Where do you camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do you camp   Where do you camp Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 11:36 pm

Some of the Forest Service Roads in Pisgah just north of Brevard have some pretty nice spots to camp. There are a couple of private campgrounds closer to town that keep most of the traffic from coming deeper in to the woods. If you've got a Forest Service Map look around Looking Glass Rock and the Fish Hatchery. Plus Transylvania County is the "Land of the Waterfalls" so there is plenty of scenery to be had.
Back to top Go down
fjdarrell
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
fjdarrell

Where do you camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do you camp   Where do you camp Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 11:53 pm

Croatan National Forest, ive spent many nights "primitive" camping out there. NOt by choice of course, I did S.E.R.E. (survive, evade, resist, and escape) School out there
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

Where do you camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do you camp   Where do you camp Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 9:56 am

Pisgah NF is great for car-camping if you know your spots. My personal favorite is about 30 min drive outside of Blowing Rock off Edgemont Rd. Easiest way to find it is via coordinates in the GPS. I'm having trouble finding coordinates but here's a copy of some online instructions for the area:

"National Forest Rd - Near Gragg, NC. This leaves Edgemont Rd at 36° 4.725'N, 81° 47.053'W. This is effectively a dead end road with campsites all along. Sometimes they're hard to see, so keep an eye out. This road "ends" at a 4 way intersection at 36° 3.855'N, 81° 48.548'W. The roads to the left and right are usually gated, but you can go straight and follow a jeep trail all the way down to Roseboro Rd. There are VERY REMOTE campsites and side roads along this trail. I do not recommend taking on this road solo. It is always is various stages of extreme erosion and it's a long hike to anywhere if your 4WD breaks down. Cell phones do not work here."

This spot is great because it's completely secluded from civilization, never had anyone else intrude during campouts, there's a great spot for car parking (then about a 100 yard hike down) or you can just drive the truck through the woods, and there's about 6 different fire pits from previous campers. There's a really cool creek about 50 yards further down too. My only complaint is there is no "scenic view" of the mountains from this spot. Still an all-time fav for me though.

Last edited by DamnItsAGlasgow on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Coordinates not working that I found)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Where do you camp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do you camp   Where do you camp Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where do you camp
Page 1 of 1