Sleeping in the back of the FJ

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Xx_Black-out
South Carolina Liaison
South Carolina Liaison
Xx_Black-out

Sleeping in the back of the FJ Empty
PostSubject: Sleeping in the back of the FJ   Sleeping in the back of the FJ Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 1:40 am

Anyone tried sleeping in the back of their FJ?

I bought a cheap Coleman SUV air mattress and pump from the outlet store and some good 0'F sleeping bags a while back. I finally got to use it a couple of weeks ago and slept relatively comfortable! I'm 6'3" and was a leery about trying to sleep back there.
The air mattress did a good job filling in the dip in the cargo area, but next time I'll have something under the air mattress to help make it more level. We parked on a slight incline...so that helped too.

It was the girlfriend and I, so I know if I'm sleeping back there solo there is more than enough room...granted if I want to stretch out, my feet had to be between the front seats.

I had an insect net I cut up and used magnets to secure it over the cracked window to keep any critters out. When we woke up, the inside windows had some serious condensation! lol I guess next time I'll crack 2 windows vs. 1. Just turn the defroster on high for a few minutes and the windows were good to go.

If anyone was on the fence about trying it, I say go for it! Sleeping comfortable in the back of the FJ sure beats a hotel bill any night!

Here is a picture of the gf asleep...she didn't even use the sleeping bag lol
Sleeping in the back of the FJ 2011-12-31054747
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping in the back of the FJ   Sleeping in the back of the FJ Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 1:57 am

Cozy and comfy!!!

Follow me on Twitter: @NCFJ_Cruisers1

NCFJ Cruisers YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/NCFJCruisers

2010 Trail Teams Edition - ToyTec 3" Ultimate Lift, Light Racing UCA's, PIAA XTreme White Plus headlights, PIAA 520 series Fog/Driving lights, 2010 BudBuilt Front Skid, BudBuilt engine skid, Ricochet LCA guards, BajaRack OEM roofrack basket, MaxTrax recovery ramps, Husky Floor Liners, Midland 75-822 40 Channel 2 Way Radio, Bandi Mount with 4' Firestick II, OrangeBoxx Side Cubby PSD (NCFJ Edition), Outrider Suspension armor, K&N drop in airfilter for on-road travel, OEM Airfilter when wheeling.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping in the back of the FJ   Sleeping in the back of the FJ Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 7:46 am

Nice! I really like the net and magnet idea, I think I'll borrow that one! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xx_Black-out
South Carolina Liaison
South Carolina Liaison
Xx_Black-out

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping in the back of the FJ   Sleeping in the back of the FJ Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 8:05 am

NC FJ Driver wrote:
Nice! I really like the net and magnet idea, I think I'll borrow that one! Smile

It was a cheapo insect head net for hunting. It fit our huge windows perfect!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping in the back of the FJ   Sleeping in the back of the FJ Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 9:08 am

Just curious, because you compared it to spending money in a hotel. Where were you at? In a parking lot, campground?
Back to top Go down
tbulluck
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
tbulluck

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping in the back of the FJ   Sleeping in the back of the FJ Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 1:32 pm

My wife and I did it in Oriental last Spring on the CNC Spring bike ride, There were heavy rain and winds a-blowing so we vacated the tent for the night. I am 6'2" and the wife is 5'9" we were just too tall for it to be comfortable. If I were alone, I would fit diagonally!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping in the back of the FJ   Sleeping in the back of the FJ Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 3:21 pm

tbulluck wrote:
My wife and I did it in Oriental last Spring on the CNC Spring bike ride, There were heavy rain and winds a-blowing so we vacated the tent for the night. I am 6'2" and the wife is 5'9" we were just too tall for it to be comfortable. If I were alone, I would fit diagonally!

Serves you right for being so tall. Short people rule!
Back to top Go down
tbulluck
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
tbulluck

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping in the back of the FJ   Sleeping in the back of the FJ Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 3:22 pm

I hear the air is cleaner down there

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping in the back of the FJ   Sleeping in the back of the FJ Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 7:23 pm

Brian wrote:
tbulluck wrote:

Serves you right for being so tall. Short people rule!

thats right!!

actually i have considered doing just that, sleeping in the rear of the fj instead of a tent...off the ground more overhead protection, lights...and being that im 5'7" im sure i will get plenty of rest ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping in the back of the FJ   Sleeping in the back of the FJ Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 1:50 am

How nice. The vertically challenged people are sticking together. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xx_Black-out
South Carolina Liaison
South Carolina Liaison
Xx_Black-out

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping in the back of the FJ   Sleeping in the back of the FJ Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 8:45 am

"vertically challenged" lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping in the back of the FJ   Sleeping in the back of the FJ Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 11:56 am

Glad to see you fit in the back of the FJ okay. We have slept in the back of the 4Runner camping at Uwharrie several times no problem. We used a air mattress that barely fit in between the wheel wells. We just let a little air out to allow it to conform. That is a good idea you have about the insect net. We cracked the back window in the 4Runner for some air flow. I need to get some real camping gear tough and a tent as we will need one in the future Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping in the back of the FJ   Sleeping in the back of the FJ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sleeping in the back of the FJ
Page 1 of 1