NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What do you want for tech articles?

Go down 
+5
NC FJ Driver
Speedrye
bigdogdewey2
David B
cjcradier
9 posters
AuthorMessage
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
cjcradier

What do you want for tech articles?  Empty
PostSubject: What do you want for tech articles?    What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 2:47 pm

After our dinner Friday we decided to really hit the tech section of our site hard and heavy! So I would like to know what kind of install, review and how to do threads You want? So either here or pm or email please let me know how you feel and what you want. Between the 3 of us we should be able to get going on this. some ideas are as follows
Lift install
Recovery techniques
How to use traction control devices
And so on. Please don't limit your imagination if there has ever been a nagging question in back of your mind bring it out, or if you ever wanted to know how to do something voice it. There is no such thing as stupid or mundane ! Thanks for your time and assistance.
Email is ccradier@gmail.com
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: What do you want for tech articles?    What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 8:29 pm

Thanks Cliff! Can't wait to see some of your write-ups !
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: how to   What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 10:58 pm

Cliff this sounds like a helluvan idea...if we can all get in on this i think it will be better...this way we dont have to rely so much on the "BLUE ROOM"...do you think there should be a TECH GURU so to speak? what i mean is someone who will screen and clean the how to's? I dont want to sound as if there should be a techy know it all but someone that can make sure all the how to's are correct before publishing...of course just like playing poker there are different and many ways to do something...im just throwing some ideas out there ...i think its a great idea to get the "how to" section really going, and aleviating having to use the blue room...im all for it...100%
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: What do you want for tech articles?    What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 12:59 am

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
Cliff this sounds like a helluvan idea...if we can all get in on this i think it will be better...this way we dont have to rely so much on the "BLUE ROOM"...do you think there should be a TECH GURU so to speak? what i mean is someone who will screen and clean the how to's? I dont want to sound as if there should be a techy know it all but someone that can make sure all the how to's are correct before publishing...of course just like playing poker there are different and many ways to do something...im just throwing some ideas out there ...i think its a great idea to get the "how to" section really going, and aleviating having to use the blue room...im all for it...100%

Hey Mike, I don't want to speak out of turn, but I did want to let everyone know that we are in the process of defining some roles for the group. I will be posting our preliminary set of " Officers" over in the Club News and Announcement section of the forum. And to answer your question, yes, Cliff has accepted the role of NCFJ Cruisers Lead Technical Writer. He has an extensive "FJ MOD Resume". We expect that Cliff will be contributing a good deal of technical docs and reviewing any write-ups that may be submitted to him for his opinion. This is not to say that our members are restricted from posting technical write-ups, in fact, I encourage all those technically talented NCFJ'ers to submit MORE technical posts, I am just indicating that he will be the "go-to" guy if anyone has any questions of a very technical nature.

Along with Cliff, Casey McGoun and Tyler Knaup have accepted invitations to be tech writers as well. Although they are the "4Runner Brothers" Wink , both are very talented welders that have done many "heavy mods" to their rigs and can offer a wealth of "general modding" knowledge through tech write-ups. They have also been NCFJ members for over a year and have been a pleasure to know, always willing to help out with very short notice.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: tech   What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 4:24 pm

David , no you were NOT talking out of turn...I had just read what Cliff had written and thought that I would suggest that we have a "lead writer" for this section. I think its a fantastic idea to have Cliff as the lead writer simply because of the experience he has with the FJ Cruiser. He has a monstrous wealth of information and know how that I know everyone on this forum will greatly benefit from. I think this is a great idea especially with the way the "CLUB" is moving up and out.

Again David, I think this is a great idea...one that I hope that I will be able to contribute to as much as i can ...
Back to top Go down
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
cjcradier

PostSubject: Re: What do you want for tech articles?    What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 5:08 pm

Im preparing the first article right now! CV removal in install. Complete with tools required, steps for air tools and manual tools and to include pics. As was said earlier many ways to do this just whjat I have found works for me in the garage and out on the trail.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: What do you want for tech articles?    What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 5:14 pm

I'd like to see more technical electrical work. Start with any of the basic switch hacks, DRL disconnect and light installs. Beyond that, it'd be nice to have some more detailed electrical write-ups and I'm planning on doing a few in the coming year. Do we have a list anywhere of members and what their strong points/specialties are? Welding, electrical, body work, general wrenching, suspension, etc?
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: What do you want for tech articles?    What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 5:49 pm

Speedrye wrote:
I'd like to see more technical electrical work. Start with any of the basic switch hacks, DRL disconnect and light installs. Beyond that, it'd be nice to have some more detailed electrical write-ups and I'm planning on doing a few in the coming year. Do we have a list anywhere of members and what their strong points/specialties are? Welding, electrical, body work, general wrenching, suspension, etc?

Good point on collecting a list of our members strong technical talents. Let me work on putting something together!

Thanks Ryan!

- David
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: What do you want for tech articles?    What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 9:21 pm

I like the mention of a write up of recovery techniques, and a good thorough discussion on route selection (how to pick your "line") and spotting techniques, for beginners, would be great...if they meet the "technical" requirement?
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: What do you want for tech articles?    What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 10:29 pm

That is "technical" driving so I would say it is qualified.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: What do you want for tech articles?    What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks to Cliff, Casey and Tyler for taking on this role. I know the three of them have a wealth of information we can all learn from and I cant wait to see what they come up with!

Way to go guys! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: What do you want for tech articles?    What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 1:45 am

Cliff, how about an HID install/conversion writeup?

Also, maybe horn replacement/upgrade?
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: What do you want for tech articles?    What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 10:07 am

I will do a write up on applying vinyl when my sheet arrives for the hood. I know you guys like doing the blackout portion on your hoods.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you want for tech articles?    What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 2:25 am

David B wrote:
Cliff, how about an HID install/conversion writeup?

Also, maybe horn replacement/upgrade?

I was just coming to post the HID one... I found these on Ebay... http://www.ebay.com/itm/HID-Slim-Kit-Toyota-FJ-Cruiser-07-11-Hi-Lo-H4-5000K-/110720602803?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item19c77652b3#ht_5771wt_1110

What's the word on these or are there others I should look at?

What did Cliff use and can we get a parts list or link?
Back to top Go down
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
cjcradier

PostSubject: Re: What do you want for tech articles?    What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 9:20 am

Mine are from ddmtuning.com. they are 55 watt hi/lo 8000k with standard ballast. I had bad luck with the slim one. Also if 55 watt get the upgraded wire harness. if some one gets these I will help install and do a tech article. I would reccomend the 35 watt at 6000k though. The 55 watt are really displeasing to the other drivers on the road. But I'm happy being that guy! NO GARY HERE!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you want for tech articles?    What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 12:13 pm

I'm that guy too! If I'm going to do it I'm going to do it bright! I mean right!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you want for tech articles?    What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 12:15 pm

So are you talking about this kit?
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Apexcone-Raptor-HID-Kit

and if so what options do I need?
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: Home made bumpers   What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 6:20 pm

I'd like someone to do a home made bumper breakdown that'd be sweet.
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: no detailed projects here?   What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 9:03 pm

This thread started awesome but no write ups happened?
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: What do you want for tech articles?    What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 9:39 pm

smoky cruiser wrote:
I'd like someone to do a home made bumper breakdown that'd be sweet.

Cliff? Casey? Either of you want to maybe take this on?
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: atrac plus locker mod   What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 11:32 am

I was gonna do a write up on atrac plus locker for the 2007 rigs, but not many on here care, and it has been written up in ttora yota tech,central fjs,bruisers,blue room etc.
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: What do you want for tech articles?    What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 9:53 pm

smoky cruiser wrote:
I was gonna do a write up on atrac plus locker for the 2007 rigs, but not many on here care, and it has been written up in ttora yota tech,central fjs,bruisers,blue room etc.

I would welcome, enjoy and be thankful if you decide you would want to do a write up! Even though it is posted in other forums....this is OUR Smile forum and any member writeups are greatly appreciated!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: What do you want for tech articles?    What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 10:57 pm

go for it smokey...and besides..you probably will do a better write up...alot of those write ups on electronics...i cant make heads or tails of...
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: write ups   What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 9:27 am

Sounds good I'll have to find a little time get some pics, and remember how I did the whole deal. It is awesome being able to use both.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you want for tech articles?    What do you want for tech articles?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you want for tech articles?
Page 1 of 1