Share | 

meaning behind "FJ"

Go down 
AuthorMessage
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: meaning behind "FJ"   Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:50 pm

Does anyone know what the meaning behind the "FJ"?? Apparently the F stands for "gas"..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: meaning behind "FJ"   Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: meaning behind "FJ"   Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:16 pm

The J stands for Jeep I think
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: meaning behind "FJ"   Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:50 pm

I took the following passage from a book I own, simply titled "FJ Cruiser" by Larry Edsall

The "J" may indeed have been derived from the Jeep.
The original designation was the BJ.

"In 1950, the Cold War turned hot. The People's republic of North Korea - supported by it's communist allies from China and the Soviet Union - invaded the Republic of South Korea. The ensuing battle would be supported by the presence of some 400,000 American Military personnel.

To move it's armed forces around the rugged Korean Peninsula, the U.S. Army needed vehicles. The Willys jeep may have ruled the day through WWII, but the army didn't think war surplus general purpose vehicles would cut it in this new terrain. Mountains cover more than 70 percent of the Korean Peninsula, which has a cold and wet climate.

The Army sought updated vehicles, and it wanted them produced as close as possible to the peninsula. So it went to Toyota with blueprints to the venerable and combat-proven Willys Jeep and worked with the Japanese company on changes needed to meet the challenges in Korea. These changes included the need for a slightly longer wheelbase, a slightly more compliant suspension, and a more powerful engine than the four cylinder motor in the WWII jeep.

The engine chosen was the 85 HP Toyota Type B, an inline, 3.4 liter six cylinder fed by a single barrel carburetor.

Officially, the vehicle was designated the Toyota Jeep, though it was better known as the BJ because it combined the B engine and a jeeplike body and chassis

At first, the BJ was considered inferior to the "real" jeep, but in July of 1951, Toyota Test driver Ichiro Taira drove a BJ prototype to the sixth of the 10 hikers checkpoints on Japan's 12,388 foot Mount Fuji. That was higher than anyone thought likely-or even possible -in a four wheel motor vehicle. Then inspired by a historic horseback riding feat accomplised centuries earlier, Taira drove to Okazaki City and up steep temple stairs.
Taira's drive drew attention to the BJ."

"When Willys objected to Toyota using the "Jeep" name outside Japan, Toyota opted for "LandCruiser"-a twist on the name of the British-built Land Rover that had become the post war standard among civilian, if not quite civilized, four wheel drive vehicles."

"In 1955, the original LandCruiser, the BJ, was in it's final model year and a new version, the FJ, was making its debut. This new Landcruiser had a revised body with a face inspired by a traditional Japanese warrior's mask."

Toyota FJ Cruiser
-Larry Edsall

Follow me on Twitter: @NCFJ_Cruisers1

NCFJ Cruisers YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/NCFJCruisers

2010 Trail Teams Edition - ToyTec 3" Ultimate Lift, Light Racing UCA's, PIAA XTreme White Plus headlights, PIAA 520 series Fog/Driving lights, 2010 BudBuilt Front Skid, BudBuilt engine skid, Ricochet LCA guards, BajaRack OEM roofrack basket, MaxTrax recovery ramps, Husky Floor Liners, Midland 75-822 40 Channel 2 Way Radio, Bandi Mount with 4' Firestick II, OrangeBoxx Side Cubby PSD (NCFJ Edition), Outrider Suspension armor, K&N drop in airfilter for on-road travel, OEM Airfilter when wheeling.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: meaning behind "FJ"   Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:55 pm

My knucklehead son who has a Jeep, says it stands for Fake Jeep...I punch him in the arm each time he says that. As I drive down the road with any of my family, when I see an FJ I say..."FJ"...but now that he is home, he says..."Fake Jeep"...butt head.

2008 ALL Silver FJ
Bilstein 5100s Front, Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks, OME 895 Rear Springs Rear, 285/75/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Baja Utility Roof Rack, Mombasa RTT, OEM Brush Guard, Custom Rock Sliders (Defensive Designs), BMC (Defensive Design), Ricochet Skids, All-Pro Ultimate Rear Lower Control Arms, All-Pro E-Locker Guard, Volant Cold Air Intake, FlowMaster 40 Series, Hot 12v Outlet, Custom FJammer, LED Dome Lights, MPac Rear Door Storage, Orange Boxx Custom P.S.D. Rear Side Storage, Custom Rear Storage Unit, Blacked-out Emblems, Scuba Driver Mod, Smittybilt Air Compressor, Midland 75-822 CB with 4' Firestik on Bandi Mount, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Headlights, Metal-tech Tube Doors
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: meaning behind "FJ"   Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Jeep=
Junk engineering, executed poorly
Just enough engine power

2010 Trail Teams Edition - ToyTec 3" Ultimate Lift, Light Racing UCA's, PIAA XTreme White Plus headlights, PIAA 520 series Fog/Driving lights, 2010 BudBuilt Front Skid, BudBuilt engine skid, Ricochet LCA guards, BajaRack OEM roofrack basket, MaxTrax recovery ramps, Husky Floor Liners, Midland 75-822 40 Channel 2 Way Radio, Bandi Mount with 4' Firestick II, OrangeBoxx Side Cubby PSD (NCFJ Edition), Outrider Suspension armor, K&N drop in airfilter for on-road travel, OEM Airfilter when wheeling.....
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: wow glad   Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:40 pm

im glad i brought this up...its interesting reading ...David let me know where you got the book..it sounds like some really informative and interestng reading...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: meaning behind "FJ"   Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:50 pm

Mike, it is available on Amazon and is a great book. I recommend it! And it is not expensive either.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001PIHUCW/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1324954277&sr=8-1

Product Details
Publisher: Motorbooks
Release date: September 15, 2006
Shipping Weight: 2.5 pounds
Number of Pages: 144 pages
ISBN-10: 0760324433

Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: meaning behind "FJ"   Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:26 pm

I will be looking into that also. Thanks David
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: meaning behind "FJ"   Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:16 pm

I believe the price starts under $10

Back to top Go down
rylandnc
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: meaning behind "FJ"   Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:24 pm

I had heard somewhere it stood for Field Jeep.
In the JEEP world I think the MJ was "Military Jeep" and CJ was "Civilian Jeep".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: meaning behind "FJ"   

Back to top Go down

meaning behind "FJ"
Page 1 of 1