NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Runaway Tacoma

Go down 
+4
dsbike
tbulluck
NC FJ Driver
Speedrye
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

Runaway Tacoma Empty
PostSubject: Runaway Tacoma   Runaway Tacoma Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 9:16 am

Two years ago, when runaway Toyota's were making the news, I have to admit I thought it was driver error or someone bunching up the floor mat under the gas pedal. You know, someone mistaking the gas pedal for the brake, or whatever.

Well, it's not driver error or the floor mats. I've got a 2008 Tacoma automatic work truck that I drive on a daily basis and yesterday on the way home from work, the truck decided it wanted to go somewhere. My wife and I were in traffic in Kernersville accelerating when the truck completely floored itself. Luckily its the 4-cyl. and is really slow, but I immediately got on the brake and put it in neutral before I rearended someone. The engine was just bouncing off the rev-limiter as a coasted into a turn lane. I went ahead and shut the truck off and coasted to a side street. I tried turning it back on while coasting and it just started bouncing off the rev-limiter again. I coasted in to a bank parking lot, turned everything off and put it in park for a minute. After restarting it again, everything was fine and it hasn't had any problems since then.
There are no floor mats or anything else that could impede the gas pedal. This is clearly a software issue or a mechanical issue with the gas pedal, but I'm voting on software since I didn't touch the pedal at all between starting attempts.

As a warning to anyone, just get it in your head what to do if this ever happens to you and be prepared. It'll likely never happen, but I can imagine what would've happened to someone that doesn't pay attention or doesn't know enough about cars to know what to do. With that said, I'm going to push hard to get rid of this work truck now since I'll never trust it again. Seriously, what happens if it decides to do it while I'm backing up in a parking lot of people? That extra second it takes to get on the brakes and shut it down is more than enough to run over some pedestrians. Unfortunately, there's no way to prove it and a dealership will probably say it was my fault somehow, but I'll see what happens.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

Runaway Tacoma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runaway Tacoma   Runaway Tacoma Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 9:50 am

Wow, that sux...glad you were able to bring it under control without hitting anything/one.
Back to top Go down
tbulluck
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
tbulluck

Runaway Tacoma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runaway Tacoma   Runaway Tacoma Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 9:52 pm

yeah....glad you are a quick thinker.
Back to top Go down
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
dsbike

Runaway Tacoma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runaway Tacoma   Runaway Tacoma Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 10:31 pm

It may be possible that it locked in a message to the ecm. I would take it to a dealer & explain what happened. With all the past history Toyota has had they should look at this for no fee.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

Runaway Tacoma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runaway Tacoma   Runaway Tacoma Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 11:02 pm

I know it'll give a rev-limiter code at the very least, but I'd be curious to see what else it shows. I'd love it if it had a log of when the limiter was hit since there'd be no input from the brake or the gas pedals.
I've worked on cars enough to know that intermittent problems are often impossible to diagnose or duplicate though.
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

Runaway Tacoma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runaway Tacoma   Runaway Tacoma Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 12:49 am

WOW, that's pretty scary. Way to be an in-control driver and return the runaway to a 'safe' state without any injuries or damage. I wish I thought most other drivers would be so capable in that situation, but I don't think they would.

Yeah I agree with you, time to retire that one.

Well done again!
Back to top Go down
Orange Boxx
SUPPORTING VENDOR - OrangeBoxx
SUPPORTING VENDOR - OrangeBoxx

Runaway Tacoma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runaway Tacoma   Runaway Tacoma Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 8:12 am

Glad you are ok speedrye. That had to be way scary. Not too sure what I would have done if the same happened to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.orangeboxxfabrication.com
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

Runaway Tacoma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runaway Tacoma   Runaway Tacoma Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 2:54 pm

dsbike wrote:
It may be possible that it locked in a message to the ecm. I would take it to a dealer & explain what happened. With all the past history Toyota has had they should look at this for no fee.

Good call on this, they're covering it for free and it'll go in tomorrow. I'll see if they find anything out or if they tell me I don't know where my feet were while the engine was racing.
Back to top Go down
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
dsbike

Runaway Tacoma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runaway Tacoma   Runaway Tacoma Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 7:34 pm

Very good, I am glad you called them & hopefully can get to the bottom of what caused it & get it fixed. You & your families life is at risk if it happens again. Your awareness recovered your vehicle & prevented a very bad situation from happening. Kudos to you.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

Runaway Tacoma Empty
PostSubject: lucky man   Runaway Tacoma Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 9:26 pm

dude your lucky...i had a similar problem with my tundra...however it was the floor mats...but i will tell you as you know speedrye...its a scary situation when that sudden burst of power comes on and your behind someone...mine was a bit different...5.7L almost 300 HP...and hitting the highway going into Ft. Bragg at 6am...power braking at 60mph...interesting...after it happened the second time i had to take a look and realized it was the floor mats...out they went...but i feel ya bro..
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

Runaway Tacoma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runaway Tacoma   Runaway Tacoma Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 10:17 pm

That is crazy!! That is also why I love the MT. Out of the 17 vehicles I have owned 7 have been MT and all the MT's were my daily drivers, not my wife's. The AT's were hers. I am not a control freak by any means but that is one big reason to love the MT.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

Runaway Tacoma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runaway Tacoma   Runaway Tacoma Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 10:35 pm

I'm completely with you! It might work out well since we're now thinking of trading the Tacoma in on a work FJ or 4Runner! Of course one of those would be an automatic so... yeah.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Runaway Tacoma Empty
PostSubject: Re: Runaway Tacoma   Runaway Tacoma Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Runaway Tacoma
Page 1 of 1