NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's Empty
PostSubject: Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's   Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 11:33 pm

I picked up two sets of these Infinitys to replace the stock rear speakers and the stock dash speakers. They run around $55 a set online and are a very high quality speaker for the money. So far, I've only installed the rear speakers and they are a huge improvement over stock. I've disconnected the plug for the ceiling speakers so that these are alone in the rear now. When faded fully to the rear, these speakers are incredibly clear and have much more bass and mid-range than I've ever heard in a 3 1/2" speaker. They have their own crossover built in, so the deeper bass doesn't distort the sound at higher volumes either.
Overall, these are awesome speakers and if you're up for a little custom fabrication work, they'll fit in the stock locations.

EDIT: These speakers are technically a 2-ohm speaker though Infinity claims they work as a 4-ohm once wiring is factored in. If these are installed with the ceiling speakers still, your impedance to the stock head unit will be really low and likely cause damage over time. Make sure you unplug your ceiling speakers (plug is found in the driver's kick panel, near the floor, all the way forward). Once these are unplugged, your rear speaker impedance will be perfect for the stock head unit.
The front is a different story. If you install these with the existing or aftermarket door speakers, your impedance will again be too low for the factory head unit. I'm personally only running the dash speakers off the head unit and running the door speakers off of an amp.
The problem is that the stock speakers in the dash and rear are 8-ohm speakers, wired in parallel, creating a 2 point something impedance to the head unit. Replacing those 8-ohm speakers with 2-ohm units really drops the impedance too low for what the stock head unit can handle (or most any aftermarket units as well).

Last edited by Speedrye on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's   Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 11:38 pm

I'll post up more info once I install the fronts (they'll be here tomorrow via UPS).
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's   Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 11:34 pm

Okay, I've installed the second pair in the front and again, very impressive speakers. Very clear, very accurate but also subtle and not right in your face. They really bring the sound stage up to where it should be. Highly recommended!
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's   Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 5:56 pm

For some reason I thought this was a tire thread:lol!: ! How hard was the install front / rear? Did you take any pics when you had everything apart?

The speakers/stereo is definately the only thing worse on these trucks than the vision out the rear, which are really the only two "cons" about the truck!
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's   Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 7:32 am

The front was really quite easy, though I didn't take any pictures. For each side, I removed the silver air vent trim and the cover over the speaker (both just snap in place). From there, I removed the two 10mm bolts holding the speaker bracket in, pulled that out and unplugged the stock speaker that was still mounted in the bracket.
From there, I cut the stock plug off of the stock speaker to reuse with the new speakers leaving enough wire to make things easier to hook up to the new speaker. From there, all you have to do is drop in the new speaker, using one of the stock bolts and drilling a new hole for your second bolt/screw. I personally went ahead and put in some sound dampening material behind the speaker and also sealed up the holes around the top of the speaker with some butyl rubber flashing material, to create better isolation between the front and rear of the speaker. I also tied the wires up out of the way behind the speaker so they wouldn't rattle against anything.
Pop the two interior panels back in place on each side and you're done.

The rear was a little more difficult because I made it that way. Again, remove the trim panel around the speaker (it also just pops out). Remove the two 10mm bolts holding in the speaker and then remove the two 10mm bolts holding the bracket in. These bracket bolts are a PITA, but you can get them out with a standard 10mm wrench and some patience. Like the front, once you've unplugged the speaker, cut the stock plug off the speaker, leaving yourself enough wire to work with. Now, you have two options of what to do with the new speaker. You can mount the speaker back in the hole of the body (very tight clearance by the way). The new speakers are really good looking units, so I opted to cut a hole in the trim panel and mount the speaker directly in it where it could be seen from the interior of the truck. You're kinda on your own on this one since it's hard to describe.
See my edit back on the first post for a caution on impedance. I hope this helps in some way.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's   Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 8:17 am

Speedrye wrote:
Speedrye's post.

Thanks for the details, doesnt sound too bad, might have to give that a try!
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's   Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 2:14 pm

Good info!!! Sounds easy enough for even me to tackle!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas
Snowdogyyz
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Snowdogyyz

PostSubject: Re: Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's   Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 3:56 pm

Good write up. I replaced my factory set up with JL Audio, front and rear and sub. Makes a huge difference in sound quality! I put the sub in the factory sub box since I figured no thief would want the factory sub......
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's   Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 8:03 pm

Yeah, my sub was overpowering my stock speakers, hence the upgrade. I agree though, anti-theft is huge and that's why my sub is pretty much invisible in the back.
If anyone needs some pictures, I can take some pics since the panels are super easy to remove. Just let me know!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's   Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Infinity Kappa 32.9cf's
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NCFJ Cruisers :: Product Reviews :: Miscellaneous-
Jump to: