View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
ejcagle
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:15 pm

Les,

Welcome.  The main thing I would recommend is to trust the truck.  Also, if you are in 4L you can start in 2nd and have a little better control.  Just my experiences thus far.

I'll be up in the Asheville area for a class in mid-February if you want to meet somewhere (class dependent of course).

Eric
Back to top Go down
View user profile
motorhead1257
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:54 pm

ejcagle wrote:
Les,

Welcome.  The main thing I would recommend is to trust the truck.  Also, if you are in 4L you can start in 2nd and have a little better control.  Just my experiences thus far.

I'll be up in the Asheville area for a class in mid-February if you want to meet somewhere (class dependent of course).

Eric
Eric,
Yeah, that's fine with me. Just send me a pm with the time and date when you get it locked down.
I do trust my rig, now that its been explained to me how the system works, and Ryan's got an 07 model too, and he's had no problems. The horror stories I was referring to the "throw out" bearing issue that some say they've had trouble with. Ex. One person mentioned that the throw out bearing has a design problem causing it to basically chew up the input shaft. One issue I am having is this, I have a clean air filter so that's not causing me to get 226 miles to the tank and I DO NOT get on it. I put along like an Old Fart. I don't lug the FJ I do just ease into the throttle nice and steady and shift at around 1800-2000 rpm's. I read in here that it may be a thermostat being weak and causing the rig to rich because it is opening sooner than needed and the motor gets a signal from the ECM to enrichen the fuel system so it can the warm up the rig. It's got to be something going on, because I was getting 295 miles to a tank and I "only'' use the 95 octane gas. What would be your take on that one, and how much are you getting?

Thanks man,
Les
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:41 pm

Cleaning the throttle body and mass air meter makes a big difference from what I hear and my truck is overdue.  I get around 210 miles out of a tank, but I'm high, heavy, on big tires and drive it like I stole it.  I'd start with the simple cleanings if you haven't already and go from there.  Disconnect the battery for awhile during the cleanings, so the computer can relearn everything.

Oh yeah, I've found that keeping my rpm between 2000-3000 in general driving yields better mpg than keeping it sub 2000.  These engines are really happy around 2800 rpm and are quite efficient in that range.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrendanB
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:40 am

Speedrye wrote:
 quite efficient in that range.

These engines aren't efficient in any range!  Very Happy  Laughing  lol!  

Ok, so they aren't that bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ejcagle
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:26 am

I would estimate I am somewhere near 270-275 (14.3 mpg) per tank.  I just found a station nearby that's selling no ethanol 87 octane and have noticed a little better response, but that could be me just thinking it too. I shift near 2.5-3K RPM and cruise control EVERYWHERE I can.

Ryan, when you say cleanings, are you referring to just cleaning out the air box/filter and the MAF or whole engine bay?  I need to find a place that needs some fill dirt and clean my engine bay just up hill from it.  Any hints or just degreaser and pressure washer?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   

Back to top Go down

Welcome 6MT owners
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3