Welcome 6MT owners

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
FiJiKrawl
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:41 pm

A little late to the game, but another 6MT checking in...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FJDawgGrl
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:08 pm

Another 6MT over here too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:32 pm

Welcome!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sportsman.ncsu
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:11 pm

New to the forum. First post.
6MT, wouldn't have it any other way. Looking forward to start my build. Where is a good place to start listing items and any helpful sites or places for discounts, good prices?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:02 pm

sportsman.ncsu wrote:
6MT, wouldn't have it any other way. Looking forward to start my build. Where is a good place to start listing items and any helpful sites or places for discounts, good prices?

list out your plans in "shop talk" and you will get tons of advice on where how to get what you want...there are folks here that are more than willing to come help you install stuff..(just keep the beer cold)...we have folks that can fab, build, install, watch while others install, BS, you name it...great group of folks on here...

one piece of advice...if you want to do it then do it...advice is great but in the end its YOUR truck!! there are all kinds of choices but ultimately its yours to make...hope to meet you soon and see you on the trails...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:35 pm

after re-reading through this thread I thought of something interesting. Since I am on my second 6MT FJ I have noticed a pretty significant difference in fuel economy between the 2. in my 2012 TT I get about 50 more miles out of a tank of gas than I did in my 2007. I know when I vehicle has more miles on it it can reduce a little, but with them both being so similarly set up I didn't expect to see this. It was a nice change.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:41 pm

sportsman.ncsu wrote:

Welcome to the group!!

Follow me on Twitter: @NCFJ_Cruisers1

NCFJ Cruisers YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NCFJCruisers

2010 Trail Teams Edition - ToyTec 3" Ultimate Lift, Light Racing UCA's, PIAA XTreme White Plus headlights, PIAA 520 series Fog/Driving lights, 2010 BudBuilt Front Skid, BudBuilt engine skid, Ricochet LCA guards, BajaRack OEM roofrack basket, MaxTrax recovery ramps, Husky Floor Liners, Midland 75-822 40 Channel 2 Way Radio, Bandi Mount with 4' Firestick II, OrangeBoxx Side Cubby PSD (NCFJ Edition), Outrider Suspension armor, K&N drop in airfilter for on-road travel, OEM Airfilter when wheeling.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
planemechFJ
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: 6MT owner here   Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:11 pm

New to the forum see my intro here
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:25 pm

Good choice on your black 6MT!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ejcagle
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:32 pm

I guess I'll revive the thread... 6MT 2013 TT and absolutely love the looks I get from some of the folks about town, but enjoy the hell out of 1st gear in 4x4 Ll while going up a hill nice and steady.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:20 pm

Haha, I like going down hill better in the same gearing.  I don't know that I've found a hill steep enough that I actually have to hit the brakes, even at Uwharrie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
motorhead1257
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:18 am

Newbie here from Waynesville. I am soooo new to this stuff its sick. I'm use to the ole' straight axle stuff and choosing between 2 and 4WD. I have not decided if I like it yet or not. I have an 07 (03/07) to be exact. It is a different driving experience and I've only had it offroad once, and tested the H and HL once at my buddies house climbing a little bank.
I'm here to meet people and learn about what I have because I can't afford not to learn and appreciate what this thing can do. I know I'm missing something the way everyone rants and raves about the FJ.

Thank ya'll,
Les
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:11 pm

Welcome Les!  I'm not an MT owners myself, but I can say that people who drive or have driven an FJ are typically the ones who rave... those who never gave it a chance (aka ignorance of truth) are typically the ones to rant!  I guarantee once you see all the greatness that the FJ offers, you'll be glad you made the switch!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
motorhead1257
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:22 am

Hey, thanks man. I'm still waiting for the "sweetness" to set in. LOL The AWD is taking some getting use to and I know driving habits will have to change as well. I sure do like it so far and I know tires and suspension make all the difference in the world. However, first and foremost as far as mods go will be the Supercharger. So between saving up for that and the kit I will have time to decide if I'm going to keep it. I need to find a place to go off-road and find some people that know how to drive the dang things so I can learn what I thought I knew. hahaha

Thanks again, have a good one and any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Les
Back to top Go down
View user profile
motorhead1257
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:23 am

Oh hey, NICE Ride !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:40 pm

Supercharger, ehhh?  I like your style!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:39 pm

Go with the URD supercharger!  Much more power than the TRD (and more money too)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrendanB
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:04 am

6MT here - I met Speedrye at Leith in Raleigh back in.......May? We were parked nearly back bumper to back bumper.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:58 pm

Hey!  Good to have another 6MT on board.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
motorhead1257
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:33 pm

Hey All,
New here, name is Les. I just got my first 6MT FJ. I've heard horror stories about the 6MT, have not had trouble with it so far. Also, it's different than any other 4 wheel drive, I've ever driven. I have questions about driving and how to use the dang thing. I thought I knew stuff, I Don't know crap! Well, thank ya'll any help or advise will be welcomed. Oh yeah, it's all stock except for the shifter being a short throw from URD and the shift knobs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:11 pm

Good choice in shifters!  The 6MTs are pretty stout and will get you most place you want to go unless you're just stupid about it.  What kind of questions do you have?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
motorhead1257
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:28 am

I'm trying to understand the purpose of the 4x4 system on this FJ. If it's all wheel drive then how does it do it without locking the T-case? I'm use to SAS set ups and the shifting from 2H to 4H is what does the job. However, the confusion is coming from locking this T-case in (if its a true T-case or something different) The ABS lights come and VSC I think it's called is this just letting me know its locked in and working or does it "Disable'' The ABS system? I'm like, I would think I want the ABS on so I don't slide. Then I'm like read the owners manual. It only tells what and how and that the rear diff lock only works in LL and only at 5-8 mph or something like that. Books does not explain what is happening or how it works together. All it says, is this light will light up and this one means its working and this one means it don't. Also, it says you can use HL when the roads are wet, snowy, and such. Does that mean at lower speeds or can I go HL rolling along at 55 when it starts raining enough to make the roads slick? I went out in the snow with a girlfriend of mine and I didn't have to lock anything in. I tried to "Play" in the snow in "Unlocked" H and do donut I got about a 1/2 turn before it decided "I'm not sliding I'm not suppose to." hahaha Well, then I though ok, put it in HL and see what that does, I made it almost 3/4 the way around and this is on snow in but parking lot and you could see where someone else did the same thing. That's how I decided to try it. I guess my DA thinking set in and I became stupid. I like the fact that it seems to go anywhere from what I've seen, and there are times I'm thinking "should have got an AT instead, so that's what I'm at and so. Thanks again for the help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
motorhead1257
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:40 am

I live in Waynesville, trying to get with some people near me to hang out with and learn about what I have before I do anything to it. I read horror story after horror story about all the crap going wrong with an 07 model and some others and it's depressing to think I went from a 4x4 Excursion to an F-250 4x4, then a Taco 4x4, then the FJ. I always thought they were cool, and I couldn't afford one. So, ya'll get where I'm coming from. I have one, and it's mine for a long long time. "I owe, I owe, so I don't want to blow, my FJ's cool and take me to school. I owe, I owe." Thanks for having such a cool idea whoever set this up. I am grateful to say the least.

Les.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:47 am

Hmm, I see very few horror stories on the FJ unless it's abuse related, but that's with any vehicle.

The basic 4wd system on the 6MT FJ is obviously unique, but here's a basic breakdown:

Standard H: Front and rear differential is open.  It has a limited-slip center differential that sends 60 percent of the torque to the rear axle in normal driving. It can automatically transfer up to 70 percent back there, or a maximum of 53 percent to the front axle when slippage occurs.

Standard HL: Front and rear differential are still open, but the center differential is locked with a 50/50 split front to rear.  As with any locked differential, it's recommended to use only on surfaces that provide some slip to avoid damage to the differential.

Standard LL: Front and rear differential are still open, the center differential is locked and the transfer case is now in low range.  To lock the rear diff, press the button.  To engage ATRAC (traction control for front wheels to prevent slipping) press that button.  Early build 2007 models don't allow both to be used, but a simple wiring mod will take care of that.

I don't like the traction control systems on the FJ, so I installed a button (like the later FJs come with) to turn off all the nannies.  I can do donuts, fling mud and whatever else I want with no nannies interfering.  I never fully figured out when different parts of the nannies worked in what scenarios, so good luck with that...

Most likely, if you're going to break anything on an 07, it'll be the rear diff gears since they aren't the strongest and some of the early build 07s were extra weak.  I'm one of the earliest 07 models and even with 35s, mine is still doing fine after 100k+ miles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
motorhead1257
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:01 pm

Speedrye wrote:
Hmm, I see very few horror stories on the FJ unless it's abuse related, but that's with any vehicle.

The basic 4wd system on the 6MT FJ is obviously unique, but here's a basic breakdown:

Standard H: Front and rear differential is open.  It has a limited-slip center differential that sends 60 percent of the torque to the rear axle in normal driving. It can automatically transfer up to 70 percent back there, or a maximum of 53 percent to the front axle when slippage occurs.

Standard HL: Front and rear differential are still open, but the center differential is locked with a 50/50 split front to rear.  As with any locked differential, it's recommended to use only on surfaces that provide some slip to avoid damage to the differential.

Standard LL: Front and rear differential are still open, the center differential is locked and the transfer case is now in low range.  To lock the rear diff, press the button.  To engage ATRAC (traction control for front wheels to prevent slipping) press that button.  Early build 2007 models don't allow both to be used, but a simple wiring mod will take care of that.

I don't like the traction control systems on the FJ, so I installed a button (like the later FJs come with) to turn off all the nannies.  I can do donuts, fling mud and whatever else I want with no nannies interfering.  I never fully figured out when different parts of the nannies worked in what scenarios, so good luck with that...

Most likely, if you're going to break anything on an 07, it'll be the rear diff gears since they aren't the strongest and some of the early build 07s were extra weak.  I'm one of the earliest 07 models and even with 35s, mine is still doing fine after 100k+ miles.
Man Ryan, thank you so much for this information. YOU, my new found friend have eased my worries. I am more than grateful. I have heard of that mod on the A-trac and diff lock. I'd like to know about that mod you did to yours to disable the nannies.

Thanks again,
Les
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Welcome 6MT owners   

Back to top Go down

Welcome 6MT owners
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next