Share | 

Differential Service

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Differential Service   Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:55 pm

I need to service my drive trail...differentials, transfer case and transmission. I am pretty sure I can handle the diffs and the transfer case fluid changes. But I guess I need to let my mechanic do the transmission flush. What fluids do I need and how much for each of the areas? Has anyone else done their own?

2008 ALL Silver FJ
Bilstein 5100s Front, Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks, OME 895 Rear Springs Rear, 285/75/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Baja Utility Roof Rack, Mombasa RTT, OEM Brush Guard, Custom Rock Sliders (Defensive Designs), BMC (Defensive Design), Ricochet Skids, All-Pro Ultimate Rear Lower Control Arms, All-Pro E-Locker Guard, Volant Cold Air Intake, FlowMaster 40 Series, Hot 12v Outlet, Custom FJammer, LED Dome Lights, MPac Rear Door Storage, Orange Boxx Custom P.S.D. Rear Side Storage, Custom Rear Storage Unit, Blacked-out Emblems, Scuba Driver Mod, Smittybilt Air Compressor, Midland 75-822 CB with 4' Firestik on Bandi Mount, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Headlights, Metal-tech Tube Doors
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Differential Service   Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:17 pm

I've heard from others that the FJ is a sealed transmission and not really intended to be serviced or worked on. Fluid changes, flushes, etc are supposedly likely to cause more harm than good.

So i've been told.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Differential Service   Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:30 pm

My mechanic's "business" (not him) suggested I get the transmission flushed. and do the fluids. I can certainly do the fluids myself. They showed me while it was lifted where the drains and inlets are. They also suggested I get the fluids fro Toyota. The dealership wanted to do it when it was in a few weeks ago for $275...

2008 ALL Silver FJ
Bilstein 5100s Front, Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks, OME 895 Rear Springs Rear, 285/75/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Baja Utility Roof Rack, Mombasa RTT, OEM Brush Guard, Custom Rock Sliders (Defensive Designs), BMC (Defensive Design), Ricochet Skids, All-Pro Ultimate Rear Lower Control Arms, All-Pro E-Locker Guard, Volant Cold Air Intake, FlowMaster 40 Series, Hot 12v Outlet, Custom FJammer, LED Dome Lights, MPac Rear Door Storage, Orange Boxx Custom P.S.D. Rear Side Storage, Custom Rear Storage Unit, Blacked-out Emblems, Scuba Driver Mod, Smittybilt Air Compressor, Midland 75-822 CB with 4' Firestik on Bandi Mount, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Headlights, Metal-tech Tube Doors
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Differential Service   Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:23 pm

FJerYuri wrote:
I've heard from others that the FJ is a sealed transmission and not really intended to be serviced or worked on. Fluid changes, flushes, etc are supposedly likely to cause more harm than good.

So i've been told.

This is my understanding as well! I had a Tundra and U know it was sealed!
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Differential Service   Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:46 am

Scottydog wrote:
My mechanic's "business" (not him) suggested I get the transmission flushed. and do the fluids. I can certainly do the fluids myself. They showed me while it was lifted where the drains and inlets are. They also suggested I get the fluids fro Toyota. The dealership wanted to do it when it was in a few weeks ago for $275...

Scott, I could suggest that for a second opinion, you speak to Matt Ferace, owner of Aamco transmissions in Capital Blvd, here in Raleigh. He is a good friend of mine and atypically honest (just ask Rolando:) ). If you do seek his advice and or service, make sure that he knows that I sent you and that you know Rolando as well! If anything needs to be done, he usually has he best price and does great work!

Follow me on Twitter: @NCFJ_Cruisers1

NCFJ Cruisers YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NCFJCruisers

2010 Trail Teams Edition - ToyTec 3" Ultimate Lift, Light Racing UCA's, PIAA XTreme White Plus headlights, PIAA 520 series Fog/Driving lights, 2010 BudBuilt Front Skid, BudBuilt engine skid, Ricochet LCA guards, BajaRack OEM roofrack basket, MaxTrax recovery ramps, Husky Floor Liners, Midland 75-822 40 Channel 2 Way Radio, Bandi Mount with 4' Firestick II, OrangeBoxx Side Cubby PSD (NCFJ Edition), Outrider Suspension armor, K&N drop in airfilter for on-road travel, OEM Airfilter when wheeling.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Differential Service   Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:42 am

the problem with non serviceable transmissions is that they arent meant to be serviced. they are designed to have a certain life span and you cant extend it by much. Each mile X number of friction materials are worn off and are ollected by a magnet at the bottom of the transmission, at the end of the life span there is no longer enough friction material for the transmission to hold a gear and will ride on the torque converter longer and longer instead of locking into a gear. at that point it is best to take the transmission in immediately before you burn up the torque converter. I would plan on never serviceing the transmission because toyota didnt intend for it to be serviced. Check the service manual if you like. The reason in my mind is that toyota uses very small galleys for the oil to flow through in the transmission and flushing the transmission forces all the gunk shavings of wear to be pushed back through those galleys and out . This tends to be where little chunks of goop get stuck in a galley and your transmission will loose a gear or slip and shift erratically. This happened to my mom on a nissan pathfinder that nissan recommended be power flushed even though it was non serviceable. Seen it happen on a few mustangs, explorers, corrolas, and some others that I have heard about through friends and family.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Differential Service   Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:39 pm

Scott, I actually called Matt the other day to ask about the very same thing. He said their computers are down until Wed (day after tom) and suggested I call back then. And yes, Matt has no filter on the brain-mouth thing but does great work at a fraction of the cost of anywhere else Ive looked. His # is 919-876-4507. Let us know what he says!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Differential Service   Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Do the diff's and transfer case. Leave the Tranny alone
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Differential Service   Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:38 pm

Yes, they are self contained items. You can do one or all three...The rear obviously gets the most use.

2008 ALL Silver FJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Differential Service   

Back to top Go down

Differential Service
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1