Share | 

Winter driving equip and technique

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Winter driving equip and technique   Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:45 am

Winter is hitting fast and hard this year. With the prospect of having to decide to drive on snow or ice, or just cold and rain, I wanted to get some input from the other owners about how the FJ performs on the slick stuff.

1. Is it fair to assume that an FJ is safer and more capable of driving safely on roads covered in a few inches of snow than the average 2-wheel drive sedan?
2. When should I switch to 4-wheel drive?
3. What about using 4-low if it gets really bad as in ice?
4. What about tire chains?
5. What about trying to tow another car out of a ditch?

Feel free to add anything you want as far as equipment or special techniques for driving on ice and snow.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

PostSubject: Re: Winter driving equip and technique   Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:10 pm

1- While the FJ may be safer, my old 91 Accord is better in 2-4 inches of snow than the FJ, but beyond that, the FJ is much better. This is probably tire related mostly.
2- I can't help, I'm always in 4wd
3- NO! You do not want more torque trying to get to the ground in ice. 4wd, locker and A-trac are your friend in slick ice.
4- I can't see a benefit here since I can comfortably go through 16"+ of wet snow with good traction still. Again, this is probably tire related.
5- Yes, the FJ is a good way to boost your karma or your wallet if you decide to charge $$ for extractions. Just make sure you have proper recovery equipment so you stay safe.

Ice is never good to drive on and you're probably more likely to wreck a 4wd than a 2wd since people get over-confident with 4wd in ice. As far as snow, the FJ is generally point and shoot, but only go as fast as you're comfortable. You may look stupid driving around slow in a 4wd sometimes, but I'd rather get their with myself and my truck intact.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Winter driving equip and technique   Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:34 pm

Great post guys....I agree with Ryan especially with the driving on ice part....never safe!!!

Follow me on Twitter: @NCFJ_Cruisers1

NCFJ Cruisers YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NCFJCruisers

2010 Trail Teams Edition - ToyTec 3" Ultimate Lift, Light Racing UCA's, PIAA XTreme White Plus headlights, PIAA 520 series Fog/Driving lights, 2010 BudBuilt Front Skid, BudBuilt engine skid, Ricochet LCA guards, BajaRack OEM roofrack basket, MaxTrax recovery ramps, Husky Floor Liners, Midland 75-822 40 Channel 2 Way Radio, Bandi Mount with 4' Firestick II, OrangeBoxx Side Cubby PSD (NCFJ Edition), Outrider Suspension armor, K&N drop in airfilter for on-road travel, OEM Airfilter when wheeling.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
rylandnc
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: Winter driving equip and technique   Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:27 pm

Another "I agree" on the driving in ice conditions. 4x4 will generally get you going faster but does nothing for stopping you. Plus it doesn't protect you from all the other idiots out there (my bigger fear). In my past 4x4's (this will be my first FJ winter) I ran in 4H during winter storm conditions. Besides helping you get going, I used it to redirect the vehicle if a slide started. Best advise is get out in a parking lot somewhere safe when the first snows hit and try the different modes. Also as Ryan said, no 4L, .it will only hurt you in these conditions. Also remember the FJ is somewhat heavy, leave plenty of room (plus some extra) for stopping.
I have learned that the traction control can hinder you from a start or slow condition on an incline. Depending on model year, you have the option turn it off (but keep it on at higher speeds).
I've never used chains. If conditions are that bad, I'm staying in or playing in a field.
Another note, NEVER use the cruise control in these conditions (even in rain some say). Reason being if the drive tires lose traction and the speed sensor detects a slower speed, it's going to try to speed up which is exactly what you don't want to do.
I use to train bus drivers to drive in this type of weather and made them do slide recoveries...that was a blast.
Anyhow....i'll post back up once we get some weather to try the FJ in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Winter driving equip and technique   Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:05 am

I always drive with the acclerator pedal and make sure I leave room to plan for wider turns and sliding corners.... AWD and hammer down the truck goes wherever the front tires are pointed just not always traking that straight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Winter driving equip and technique   Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:20 am

Does any model FJ have heated mirrors or seats? Anyone tried to add it as a mod?

Is A-Trac better than the electronic vehicle stability control on snow or ice? The VSC is deactivated whenever I turn on my A-Trac on the trails. But then i'm in a low gear and in 4L. Which is better for icy roads?

Has anyone ever tried putting tire chains on an FJ?
Are knobby mud terrain tires better than the stock tires with a flatter tread pattern?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Winter driving equip and technique   Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:25 am

The last few years here in the Charlotte area, we've had some snow/ice storms come through that virtually shut down the roads. I drove a rear wheel drive pickup truck and it was a nightmare in those conditions. Turned out to be much safer (better control) to drive around in our minivan.

One reason (besides the other 99) I wanted an FJ was to be better able to get out and drive around when the roads were covered in a few inches of snow and ice. Thats why I'm so curious about what the FJ is like on wintry roads.
The terrain locally is very hilly, so even a simple trip to the grocery store is adventurous in a regular vehicle. I really want to know that my FJ will be confident and safe(er) in those conditions. Partly for bragging rights to non-believers, but more for just being better equipped for bad weather scenarios.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Winter driving equip and technique   Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:03 pm

Having the drive train with your steering (front wheel drive) is going to be better then rear wheel drive. Just having 4wd (which adds a drive component matched with your steering) is going to be a major improvement of your truck. I think the rest would depend on your speed.

I imagine at low speeds in deeper snow/ice/slush the 4wd has to be better, but at closer to normal speeds where the ice/snow is more of a caution than present I would think a fwd with some type of limited slip would still be better.

My thinking is often wrong though.rabbit
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Winter driving equip and technique   Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:27 am

not sure on the FJ but i have driven in all types of snow living all over the country from the ice sheets we get here an==to 5 ft deep snow trails in the PNW to powder dry stuff in utah.

with the 4runner I just let it do all the thinking and drive... it has enough acronyms to keep itself going no matter what conditions are on a road.

With the FJ I would reccomend not using atrac unless you need to start moving and ant get traction. The atrac actualy hinders you from moving in some situations with low traction at all 4 wheels because it starts to limit power to to many wheels at once and you dont move. VSC will go bannana sandwiches trying to keep your rear tires in line with the front tires but let it work and dont try to countersteer. The truck doesnt like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Winter driving equip and technique   Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:16 pm

Thanks for sharing your knowledge everyone. As winter approaches, I feel better about driving my FJ in snow and ice now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Winter driving equip and technique   Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:18 pm

Oh and chains are the devil... Stay away in show less than a foot deep
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Winter driving equip and technique   Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:18 pm

crogers6569 wrote:

I agree with Chad, I don not believe there is a need for chains in most NC snow events....and when they break, it gets ugly.....

Follow me on Twitter: @NCFJ_Cruisers1

NCFJ Cruisers YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NCFJCruisers

2010 Trail Teams Edition - ToyTec 3" Ultimate Lift, Light Racing UCA's, PIAA XTreme White Plus headlights, PIAA 520 series Fog/Driving lights, 2010 BudBuilt Front Skid, BudBuilt engine skid, Ricochet LCA guards, BajaRack OEM roofrack basket, MaxTrax recovery ramps, Husky Floor Liners, Midland 75-822 40 Channel 2 Way Radio, Bandi Mount with 4' Firestick II, OrangeBoxx Side Cubby PSD (NCFJ Edition), Outrider Suspension armor, K&N drop in airfilter for on-road travel, OEM Airfilter when wheeling.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
rylandnc
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: Winter driving equip and technique   Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:02 am

Oh, and Yuri, it seems people out there have done mods to either add heated mirrors or replace the mirrors with aftermarket ones with the heated feature. And seat heaters are available to add also. I'm not aware either ever being a factory option on the FJ.

Here is a link the seat heater that TRD SPARKS offers.
http://www.trdsparks.com/displayparts.php?Mdl_dtl=772&Part_cat=19&parts_id=4131
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Winter driving equip and technique   Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:49 pm

Cool! Thanks for the link to the seat heaters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Winter driving equip and technique   Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:21 pm

rylandnc wrote:
Oh, and Yuri, it seems people out there have done mods to either add heated mirrors or replace the mirrors with aftermarket ones with the heated feature. And seat heaters are available to add also. I'm not aware either ever being a factory option on the FJ.

Here is a link the seat heater that TRD SPARKS offers.
http://www.trdsparks.com/displayparts.php?Mdl_dtl=772&Part_cat=19&parts_id=4131

Here's a link to heated power mirror replacements... As Ryland said I don't think they were a real "Toyota" option but they may be available at some Toyota dealerships.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-FJ-CRUISER-07-09-HEATED-POWER-SIDE-MIRROR-PAIR-/380386424484?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5890cc36a4#ht_2355wt_1344
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Winter driving equip and technique   Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:50 pm

hmmm. i wonder if its really heated, or if that is just a typo in the description based on an assumption that its heated. Still, pretty cheap if it really is heated and of good quality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Winter driving equip and technique   Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:47 pm

I agree with all of the points being made here. One thing to make sure of is use common sense on the road. Keep your distance, braking distance will increase as will turning radius. The most important thing to look out for around here in snowy conditions is THE OTHER GUY! If you loose traction from a start turn on A-Trac this will allow you to gain momentum in a none traction situation as a pose to VSC that will stop your throttle in a none traction situation. Once moving though I suggest letting the VSC do it's thing unless you need to get the tires spinning. Remember 4X4 can get you moving but it doesn't help to slow you down. I would stay in 4-high unless you need the power of 4-low. Try not to drive on ice but if you have to then go slow. Just my advice...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Winter driving equip and technique   Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:20 pm

David B wrote:
crogers6569 wrote:

I agree with Chad, I don not believe there is a need for chains in most NC snow events....and when they break, it gets ugly.....

LOL that kinda reminds me of one of last years snow events. The mail truck had tire chains on and at this point most of the snow was gone, well he gets to spinning the damn tires and hits the asphalt, STILL spinning. Sparks were shooting up everywhere, not a good idea!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: Winter driving equip and technique   Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:41 pm

I have never been as amazed about winter driving as I was when I got here. In elizabeth city last winter, they closed schools for a day because of forecasted snow. That day it was clear skies and sunny. Unbelievable to me that that happened. Of course I did get here from Michigan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winter driving equip and technique   

Back to top Go down

Winter driving equip and technique
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1