NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hosing down the engine compartment?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rylandnc
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
rylandnc

Hosing down the engine compartment? Empty
PostSubject: Hosing down the engine compartment?   Hosing down the engine compartment? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 12:34 pm

Question Is it ok to hose down the engine the compartment? Not a high pressure rinse but just a garden hose to get all the sand and muck out. I know not to do it when the engine is hot. I use to do it on my CJ and Montero and never had any issues. Just want to check before doing it on the FJ and if anyone has had any issues.
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Hosing down the engine compartment?   Hosing down the engine compartment? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 12:56 pm

Sure, just don't blast electrical areas. I use the Orange Blast cleaner from WalMart or where ever. Spray it on, let sit 5 minutes or so, then rinse off all the grease and grime. Works great... Make an old engine look new.
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Hosing down the engine compartment?   Hosing down the engine compartment? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 1:34 pm

I agree with Scott. What I usually do is take my leaf blower on LOW, blow out the loose dust/dirt first. Then take the garden hose on a low setting and washout the engine compartment, being careful around the electrical "stuff", then take Lexol leather conditioner and wipe down the hoses (keeps them nice and soft!!!)

Also, for those of you with the Cyclone pre air cleaner, make sure you empty that too.

Last edited by David B on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
rylandnc
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
rylandnc

PostSubject: Re: Hosing down the engine compartment?   Hosing down the engine compartment? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 3:27 pm

Done.....looks much better, and it has to run better and get better mileage with a clean engine compartment (just hush and let me believe that).
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: Hosing down the engine compartment?   Hosing down the engine compartment? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 4:48 pm

I used my pressure washer on my engine and had no problems. Obviously I avoided the electrical boxes, but I hit the engine really hard and the underside of the hood. Made a big difference. Next time I'm going to use engine cleaner too.
I'd say using a pressure washer is not bad, just watch out where you aim it and don't use the extra high pressure nozzle, you know the one that cuts wood? Yeah don't use that one. Just use the one you use for the outside when you wash it.
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Hosing down the engine compartment?   Hosing down the engine compartment? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 5:31 pm

Ryland, I get like 2 mpg better when I wash my FJ...slides through the air easier. That's my story and I'm sticking too it...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hosing down the engine compartment?   Hosing down the engine compartment? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 8:07 pm

Cleaning a car adds 2 hp per body panel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hosing down the engine compartment?   Hosing down the engine compartment? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hosing down the engine compartment?
Page 1 of 1