NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Body lift on the way

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

Body lift on the way Empty
PostSubject: Body lift on the way   Body lift on the way Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 9:27 pm

Well, I'm gonna need a little more clearance for tires and have ordered a 1.25" body lift kit. I'm opposed to the idea of a body lift for aesthetic reasons, but if it's functional, I'm cool with it. My main goals will to be to give me more clearance for my upcoming 35" tires and raising a few things like the gas tank a little more out of the way. I'm going to raise both bumpers up as well to retain a stock look. The rock rails will stay in the same place though.
The kit should show up by this weekend and I'll install as time allows. I'm gonna go ahead and chop the body mount while I've got it unbolted. If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears. I'll post more info as I go.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Body lift on the way   Body lift on the way Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 9:53 pm

Take pictures. I will be following your work.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Body lift on the way   Body lift on the way Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 10:26 pm

I'll usually take pictures when I do things though I may not have enough to do a full how-to article.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Body lift on the way   Body lift on the way Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 7:59 pm

Okay, I got the body lift yesterday in the mail. Purchased from Roger Brown @ 4 crawler.com http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/ToyotaLandcruiser.shtml

The one I got was the 1.25" lift with steering spacer, radiator drop brackets and black spacers instead of the standard white.
Body lift on the way BODYLIFTBOLTS
Body lift on the way BODYLIFTBLOCKS
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Body lift on the way   Body lift on the way Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 8:16 pm

I started the lift yesterday and finished today. All told, it took me a little over 6 hours doing it all by myself. I'd say two people could do it much quicker, maybe 3 or 3 1/2 hours.

Unbolting the steering and body bolts went quickly as did the removal of the grill and bumpers. Jacking the body took me awhile to start with since I had to dig through my basement to find my old Toyota scissor jack and cut a few blocks of 2x6. After the first corner was jacked and done, the other three went quickly.

Raising the front bumper was very easy since I just had to raise the bumper mount at the frame up one set of holes. The rear bumper took a bit to figure out, but it was pretty easy once I realized that I had to but away the bottom part of the bumper (not really noticeable from the rear). I left off the trim piece around the trailer hitch since I didn't want to cut it.

The only problem I have is that my shifter hits slightly when shifting to second gear. It's not enough to be a problem, it's just annoying. I'll fix it at some point before it drives me crazy.

Before and after shots aren't great and frankly it looks more different in person. The main visible difference aside from height is the gap between the body and the rock rails. I prefer it since it now has just enough of a gap that I can use it as a step.

Before:Body lift on the way BODYLIFTBEFORE

After:Body lift on the way BODYLIFTAFTER
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: i like the stance   Body lift on the way Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 9:20 pm

im wondering though...i know that your truck is a 6mt...i couldnt see anything on 4crawlers website to suggest if the lift is only for manual tranny trucks...i have an automatic and i wouldnt mind having a body lift...but i couldnt see anything to suggest it...do you know if it is manual tranny only??
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Body lift on the way   Body lift on the way Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 9:46 pm

Yeah, it works on automatics as well, but the transfer case lever might hit the console a little (like my main shifter does in 2nd gear). I'd think it'd be pretty easy to have a threaded extension made up, but I'm not sure what part of the shifter hits the console.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: thanks man   Body lift on the way Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 9:52 pm

i think im gonna call 4crawler and see what his take on it is...
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Body lift on the way   Body lift on the way Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 10:04 pm

The directions I was following for my install were for an automatic, so I know it can be done. Good idea on a phone call though since I don't know how the automatic transfer case shifter works (different transfer case than mine). If you decide to do it, let me know if you need an extra hand or anything.
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Body lift on the way   Body lift on the way Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 10:06 pm

Looks GREAT!!!!

Good work!

You are much more mechanical than I.....
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
Orange Boxx
SUPPORTING VENDOR - OrangeBoxx
SUPPORTING VENDOR - OrangeBoxx

PostSubject: Re: Body lift on the way   Body lift on the way Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 10:35 pm

Great Job !!!! Looks Awesome !
Back to top Go down
http://www.orangeboxxfabrication.com
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
cjcradier

PostSubject: Re: Body lift on the way   Body lift on the way Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 2:27 pm

I have a 1" from 4crawler I did over a year ago. I absolutely love it! the 1 inch isnt as involved as the 1 1/4" no steering spacer to put in and there are no difficulties with shifters. the front bumper is not to obvious and I dont run a rear bumper. Also just to throw tis out there you may want to also lengthen your battery cables a bit. Mine were stretched pretty good, but I am running a bigger battery than stock. I would also recommend the body mount chop while your in there. Looks good man!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Body lift on the way   Body lift on the way Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Body lift on the way
Page 1 of 1