NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy?

Go down 
+2
crogers6569
FJerYuri
6 posters
AuthorMessage
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy? Empty
PostSubject: Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy?   Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 3:46 pm

Does anyone know of any places to go off road near Mount Airy or close to Pilot Mountain?
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy?   Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 8:39 pm

nothing aorund that area at all.. NC is limited to Brown Mountain, Uwharrie, OBX and a number of provate vnues open sporadicly throughout the year.

There is also Richland Rd near Boone and Huricane Creek near teh TN line on I40
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy?   Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 10:19 pm

All the diverse environments and scenery in NC and thats all the off road trail systems we have??? I'm shocked. Judging from the business each weekend at the outpost at uwharrie its clear that off roading provides an economic benefit to the local economy. So why aren't more trails available?

Really makes me feel lucky to live so close to Uwharrie!
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy?   Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 11:57 pm

FJerYuri wrote:
All the diverse environments and scenery in NC and thats all the off road trail systems we have??? I'm shocked. Judging from the business each weekend at the outpost at uwharrie its clear that off roading provides an economic benefit to the local economy. So why aren't more trails available?

Really makes me feel lucky to live so close to Uwharrie!

I agree. We used to have Tellico ORV area in the far west of the state.....until the environmentalists took it...

Thanks to the "Southern Environmental Law Center, Trout Unlimited and others, the Forestry Service has issued the permanent closing.....
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy?   Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 10:26 am

I tend to be very outspoken about my political opinions, but politics aside here, I just fail to see how any group can feel a sense of accomplishment because they have managed to shut out the public from access to the forest or a natural environment. How does that help anyone? From what I've seen so far with this group here, everyone is thoughtful and considerate of the forest and its inhabitants. How does anyone get off trying to say that 'we' don't deserve the right to drive our vehicles through the public forest in a thoughtful, safe and responsible way?

Maybe it would be different if we drove electric trucks? (just sayin)
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy?   Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 11:43 am

All those berm we complain about and the metal gaurd rails ruining the scenery in Uwharrie that everyone complains about are the reason URE is still open and Tellico is not. The trail system in Tellico was 100% trail, no berms, no erosion controls, and its in a rain forest.

All were a recipie for disaster.

Now add in all the morons who cut off into the woods to avoid running over a rock and cut spider trails to bypass areas they dont want to drive over. Add to that the drunks and litterers and a few bad apples create a bad name for all of us.

Hence the environmentalists and fishermen got the the Tellico OHV are shut down.

SFWDA is still persuing litigation in federal court to have the area reopened but at this point I dont know how well that will work as the trails have been "obliterated"
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: guard rails   Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 11:54 am

as ugly as the guard rails are and as annoying as the "Whoop di doos" are..id rather have them than nothing...again another good well GREAT reason to get involved with trail clean up and maintenance...
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy?   Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 12:41 pm

I had zero annoyance from either the guard rails, berms or having to stop to let others 'play through' rather than just cut through the woods. And I enjoyed the whoop-de-doos! Thought those were part of the fun! I picked up litter a couple of times and am pretty sure I saw others do the same thing.

So the problem is getting people to follow the rules and have a sense of ownership so to keep the place clean and nice. Sounds like the solution is to have a trail patrol to enforce the needed behavior, not all out closure.

That said, i'm sure there's a lot more to it than that like where do you get volunteer trail patrols or money for more forest rangers? I know i know, easier said than done. better make sure we take good care of the trails we have left then huh?
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy?   Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 8:19 pm

Your right... Problem is that enforcement costs money and out government is strapped
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy?   Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 8:56 pm

Here is some listing of the publicized locations. I am hoping to go to Coal Creek next Summer.

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/where_to_go_wheelin.htm
Back to top Go down
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
dsbike

PostSubject: Re: Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy?   Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 3:41 pm

I was in Uwharries on this past Tuesday. My wife & Ii were surprised to see how many empty beer cans there were out on the trails. We did not pick any up, we were not prepared to carry out trash, next time I will carry a large trash bag. I also did not add to the mess. With this disconcern for the area, I can see where the activist would have a good case to complain about the 4x4 wheelers. We all need to do a better job at keeping the Uwharries ORV clean. Myself included.

As stated above, those of us that live fairly close to Uwharries are lucky.
Back to top Go down
FonnieJr
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy?   Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 11:13 pm

Yeah, I was thinking the Hanging Rock/ Pilot mountain would be prime for off roading. Shame there is nothing near by.

What steps would need to be taken in order for another ORV park to open?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy?   Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any trails or off road areas near Pilot Mountain or Mount Airy?
Page 1 of 1