NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

quick URE run labor day weekend.

Go down 
+8
NC FJ Driver
FJerYuri
Darklight
bigdogdewey2
Scottydog
dbronzo
Orange Boxx
crogers6569
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

quick URE run labor day weekend. Empty
PostSubject: quick URE run labor day weekend.   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 2:09 am

Im off Friday- Sun and planning to hang out around URE for saturday and sunday.

I would love to meet up with some of you guys to get our trucks dirty.
Back to top Go down
Orange Boxx
SUPPORTING VENDOR - OrangeBoxx
SUPPORTING VENDOR - OrangeBoxx

PostSubject: Re: quick URE run labor day weekend.   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 6:07 am

Damn I wished I could be here. I get lucky and have to take the GF home in Indiana . Have fun tell me some stories about it soon and please get some pictures !
Back to top Go down
http://www.orangeboxxfabrication.com
dbronzo
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: quick URE run labor day weekend.   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 9:30 am

Might make trip out there, trying to get my wife to tell me what we are doing that weekend.
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: quick URE run labor day weekend.   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 10:05 am

Same here, the wife usually plans something for that weekend. I am still in need of off-road training and this could be my best opportunity.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: quick URE run labor day weekend.   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 10:14 pm

i have a feeling that i could be there...the wife is headed to Texas for the weekend so ill be here by my self...what time would u want to meet up and where?? any more info on this??
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: quick URE run labor day weekend.   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 12:18 pm

I am thinking of going this weekend. Might come down Friday night camp then wheel saturday or come down Saturday morning/early noon wheel and camp Saturday night. I would like to catch with you or a group I usually go a couple times a year but never camped there. Any recomendations for camping near a trail?
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: quick URE run labor day weekend.   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 2:31 pm

im game....ill be there, but i think we need to come up with a good time and place to meet. I'm thinking that the Eldorado Outpost is probably the best place to meet up?? I have a great map of the trail system also. it has been a few years since i have been down there but i really do enjoy it when i do go. IF you guys want to pm me and get my number thats fine with me too...its too bad there isnt a NCFJ sticker that could be prominently displayed for easy identification...
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: quick URE run labor day weekend.   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 2:40 pm

DARKLIGHT

there are 6 campgrounds that you could use and each one of them is pretty close to a trail...there are two HORSE camps...basically used by those who bring their horses to ride they are badin lake horse camp and canecreek horse camp,....then there is badin lake camp and HUNT camp (which is closest to HWY 109) and then also arrowhead camp...there is a group campground and then there is the ART LILLEY MEMORIAL CAMPGROUND so named for a Special Forces soldier who was killed in Afghanistan.

SO there should be no problem with finding a place to camp.
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: quick URE run labor day weekend.   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 2:48 pm

bigdogdewey2

Thanks for the info. Still not sure if we will arrive friday early evening or Saturday morning. More then likely Saturday morning though and camp that night. The outpost is the best place to meet. When i know for sure which day I am going, i will pm you for your # and info so we can catch up. My rig is pretty much A stock 4th gen 4Runner i've ran Falls Dam / Wolf Den and parts of Dickey Bell without issue. I am bringing my wife and pooch too Smile
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: quick URE run labor day weekend.   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 3:40 pm

Hello all!
I'm a new member from China Grove NC. I have a 2008 FJ TT. I'd like to hook up with the group this weekend and do my first trail riding. I'm a newbie to off roading so I have no special equipment or training. Hope that won't be a problem?
Thanks
YS
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: quick URE run labor day weekend.   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 4:10 pm

I am pretty sure I am in! Meeting at the Outpost would be best. Lets set a time. If you are the first FJ pick a spot and the rest will congregate. Worst case we meet up with another unplanned FJ.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: lets do it!!!   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 4:27 pm

im good for anytime saturday...im gonna go out on a limb and say 9 am?? if thats ok then lets plan this..9 am at the Eldorado Outpost right on Hwy 109

Yuri absolutely no problem with it...bring it on...my Fj is somewhat limited also in that i dont have "real" off road tires...i fear nothing however LOL...you wont slow us down..we'll just move as slow as needed...i have done quite a bit of off roading but I , and im sure that everyone else will agree that everytime you go you learn something new...thats one of the reasons why i LOVE offroading...be glad to have you involved!!!

So to recap....9 am at the Eldorado Outpost on Hwy 109...cant wait.!!!
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: quick URE run labor day weekend.   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 4:37 pm

How does one buy (pay for) the trail pass? Is there a ranger station? Do I need cash and if so how much? I've never been there before. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: COST?   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 4:42 pm

The last that i have heard is 5 dollars for the day pass and 30 for the year. You can buy the pass at the Eldorado Outpost where we will meet. Im gonna check on the price and ill post what i find. cash is always good...LOL....bring a cooler with your favorite beverage too...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: quick URE run labor day weekend.   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 4:44 pm

You are right, $5 for a day and $30 for the year. You can buy the passes at the ranger station in Troy or at the Outpost.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: did some digging on price   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 4:52 pm

everywhere i have read says that the DAY PASS is $5...thats it...darn good price if you ask me for a day of fun !!
Back to top Go down
FJerYuri
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
FJerYuri

PostSubject: Re: quick URE run labor day weekend.   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 5:07 pm

Help me out with some additional details on what to expect at URE:
1. How long does it take to complete the trails? (ie time between bathroom/beer/burger runs for the wife and girls if they come along)
2. How crowded is this place with other off-roaders? (read drunk ATV'ers)
3. Should I pack a 12 pack or a case of beer? (or just pack water and cokes)
4. Does anyone else bring wife and kids?
5. Any required items to bring along? (Will bring camera, snacks and drinks, but what else should I be thinking of??)

Thanks
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: hookup!!   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 6:14 pm

hey CROGERS..hook up with us on sat morning...be good to meet you..
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: quick URE run labor day weekend.   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 6:25 pm

FJerYuri wrote:
Help me out with some additional details on what to expect at URE:
1. How long does it take to complete the trails? (ie time between bathroom/beer/burger runs for the wife and girls if they come along)
2. How crowded is this place with other off-roaders? (read drunk ATV'ers)
3. Should I pack a 12 pack or a case of beer? (or just pack water and cokes)
4. Does anyone else bring wife and kids?
5. Any required items to bring along? (Will bring camera, snacks and drinks, but what else should I be thinking of??)

Thanks

1. It could take all day or just a few hours (depends on other groups or individuals, also folks in our group ie. skill level, confidence, wanting to play around etc.)the last time i was there there were porta johns and the like scattered generously

2. could be pretty crowded or not...just depends

3. I would advise against beer honestly...ive seen DUIs at URE...remember it is federal/state land....i would recommend water and cokes

4. Bring the whole family...thats what makes it fun...getting to know everyone else...

5. Drinks, snacks, Toilet paper...you never know...trash bags...good humor...patience...did i mention GOOD HUMOR?...just remember that what ever you bring with you leaves with you...no dropping the wife off and leaving her....and STRAP it down...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: quick URE run labor day weekend.   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 6:33 pm

Trail times will very with length and how fast you go through them. In my opinion there is plenty to keep you occupied for a day. The restrooms on the trail system aren't great, but are located through out, so you are never really far from one. The outpost in only a 5-10 minutes away if you want to leave to go grab a bite to eat from any trail head/end.

It can get crowded on a weekend, and I imagine this weekend won't be an exception. However I have never seen it (I have only gone twice on the weekends) to crowded to where you have to wait around much. Its just the occasional pull to the side to let a someone pass by.

I think beverage is a personal choice. You do have to drive home state roads.

I have gone several times with my wife and I love her company. She was scared at first, but has grown to enjoy it. My wife is not likely to come this time. She is 4 months pregnant and right now we don't have someone to watch our 1 year old. However she may decide to come anyway. If others are bringing their others, she will be more likely to come. I think it is more what you make of it. I have seen families outings and wild guys in their 20s tearing up there rigs. If you and your group want it to be family friendly it can easily be done.

I have a recovery strap, a few odd tools, and a hand held CB.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: quick URE run labor day weekend.   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 6:35 pm

Bigdogdewey, are you bringing your family?
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: bringing family   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 7:49 pm

no not this time...actually just saw my wife off at the airport..flying back to texas to visit with her family...i might have a good friend with me though...he isnt sure but is wanting to go...he drives a jeep...lol...but wants to ride with me...go figure...

my wife would have come had it not been for this scheduled visit...she will next time ...i think having family or friends with you makes it more fun...besides who else is perfect for the taking of pictures...

as it stands right now it looks like there will be 4-6 trucks??the more the merrier...!!!
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: quick URE run labor day weekend.   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 8:19 pm

bigdogdewey2,

(So to recap....9 am at the Eldorado Outpost on Hwy 109...cant wait.!!)

That sounds like a good time to meet for me. I'll be in a Black 2008 4Runner. Trail passes can be bought at the Outpost for $5.00 how about camping registration?

crogers6569,
Are you camping out Friday night then and which spot? It would be good to camp with some company. Which Toyota are you bringing out there?
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: recap   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 9:09 pm

DARKLIGHT....yes your recap is correct...9 am at Eldorado Outpost...

Ill be in my "MARINE" green FJ with Black Invasion Stars... looking forward to meeting you and all the others that are comming...
Back to top Go down
dbronzo
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: quick URE run labor day weekend.   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 9:26 pm

Ok so 9 am Sat or Sun.

I will be bringing my wife and 2 boys (4&2). Got enough equipment to get anyone out of a stuck situation. I am down to run any of the trails, was out there Sunday and they are not to bad. A couple are rutted out good but there are bypasses around the hard stuff (minus Daniel).

I will be driving a 08 black Tacoma.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: quick URE run labor day weekend.   quick URE run labor day weekend. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

quick URE run labor day weekend.
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next