NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Random Wire Harness

Go down 
+5
Scottydog
David B
ncorn38
cjcradier
CarolinaCruiser15
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

Random Wire Harness Empty
PostSubject: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 1:16 am

Does anyone know what this is for??? I found it behind a "blank" and have no clue what its for. Blue Room wasnt much help either. Whatever it is appears to be all wired up and ready to go minus a switch of some kind.

Random Wire Harness Photobucket-26057-1313725968397
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
cjcradier

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 9:28 am

Possibly roof or bumper mounted lights. would be my guess. Let me know how many wires and what cooler they are I will look in the service manual to trace it down for you.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 11:48 am

Thanks Craig, I appreciate the help. Not sure why I didnt think of this first, but earlier this morning I looked in the Owners Manual and surprise, surprise, found my answer. Rolling Eyes

Apparently its called AUTO LSD. Its some kind of vehicle/traction stability system that is only is the 2WD models. Now Im wondering though, if I can turn it into something useful for my 4WD model!!! lol. Oh, how the mods never end study
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 1:23 pm

My 2011 has this button. I have checked the book and it is the AUTO LSD. Not sure why mine has this as mine is obviously 4WD. I can't see it having any value to a 4WD vehicle, but it might increase cool points having one more button!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 1:32 pm

Correction, on 4WD this button disengages the VSC and TRAC systems. This allows you to get more power to your wheels even while they are slipping. Gives you an advantage when trying to rock your vehicle back and forth to get unstuck from fresh snow or mud.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 1:40 pm

Brian7758 wrote:
Correction, on 4WD this button disengages the VSC and TRAC systems. This allows you to get more power to your wheels even while they are slipping. Gives you an advantage when trying to rock your vehicle back and forth to get unstuck from fresh snow or mud.

Oooh interesting. So I guess it would be good for doing doughnuts in an icy parking lot??? lol!

How do you I get this button? Right now its just a blank that doesnt push in or out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 1:54 pm

I am not really sure how you go about it. I checked Ebay and they had the button/switch for A-TRAC. The seller had several, so he is probably a person who has access to this type stuff. He/She is also located in NC. It might be worth a shot to message him through Ebay and see if he can sell you a "drunk car & OFF" button.

Here is the link to the A-TRAC switch.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trac-Traction-Control-Switch-Toyota-FJ-Cruiser-4wd-/110671186744?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c4844b38#ht_2153wt_1165

Thanks for that link. I got all excited until I saw it was $70!!!!!!! Thats frickin INSANE. lol. I doubt its even that much through the stealership. I wonder how else to go about getting a switch that would fit that harness. I wonder if I could switch out the SUB one (I have an aftermarket one so the OEM one is useless now).

Craig, so you think this would be helpful to be able to turn on/off during our OBX trip? I dont really know much about VSC or A-TRAC let alone what this LSD button does.
Back to top Go down
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
cjcradier

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 1:56 pm

dang I never use that I put a VSC off switch of my own in and drive around with all the lights lit up. works great for the beach. I also did the locker hack for the rear I can use it whenever I wan 2wd 4hi and 4 lo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 12:11 pm

cjcradier wrote:
dang I never use that I put a VSC off switch of my own in and drive around with all the lights lit up. works great for the beach. I also did the locker hack for the rear I can use it whenever I wan 2wd 4hi and 4 lo.

Locker Hack... I'm going to go find this now...

On topic... My 2011 has the Traction Control/Stability Off Button as mentioned above in this location.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 12:23 pm

Hmmm, thats weird/annoying that I have all the wiring behind a BLANK switch. Now I have to find a switch that fits that wont cost me a fortune.
Back to top Go down
ncorn38
MODERATOR - Trail Scout
MODERATOR - Trail Scout
ncorn38

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 9:43 pm

Random Wire Harness Img_0119

So im guessing the harness on the right is a sub woofer hook up??
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/people/Nick-Aaron-Corn/100000272912625
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 9:53 pm

Like it was said earlier, VSC>

Here is a photo I found (I have the same setup but was too lazy to run down and take a pic...lol)

Random Wire Harness Skidcontrol
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 10:42 pm

Ooooh. And all this time Ive been manually disconnecting it from the master brake cylinder!!!!!! HAHAHA. Well, I guess that also disables the ABS. Good to know though. I wonder now where one gets the VSC button from.
Back to top Go down
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
cjcradier

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 10:52 pm

I just did a 2 pole switch under the dash I can switch vsc of and on without restarting the truck. besides I also relocated most of those switches, I have all my lighting and the bottom row and all my traction control on the top IE air compressor, front locker, rear locker and A-track. I moved the power converter, and parking sonar to the two spots on the dash below the dimmer. Made more sense to me this way. Also I can turn the vsc on and off on demand and noone knows where it is.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 10:57 pm

So please forgive my newbie ignorance but I have a VSC vs. ABS question. So I have two options here. I can either

A) Find a switch to hook up to the already existing VSC control so I can turn it on and off at will

OR

B) Slice the wires on the master brake cylinder, hook it up to a switch and run that to the cabin so I can disable both VSC and ABS at the same time.

Both are very easy but Im honestly not sure the differences. Anyone with some knowledge has some insight???? Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 11:02 pm

CarolinaCruiser15 wrote:
So please forgive my newbie ignorance but I have a VSC vs. ABS question. So I have two options here. I can either

A) Find a switch to hook up to the already existing VSC control so I can turn it on and off at will

OR

B) Slice the wires on the master brake cylinder, hook it up to a switch and run that to the cabin so I can disable both VSC and ABS at the same time.

Both are very easy but Im honestly not sure the differences. Anyone with some knowledge has some insight???? Thanks in advance.

If all it takes is a VSC button, I would go to Toyota and get one...I am sure it is cheaper than having it "added on" to the purchase of a new FJ (like the A-Trac button). Just my .02
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 11:16 pm

I dont think Im following you David. Either way Ill have to get a button for the cabin. I guess what Im saying is, I dont know what the advantage is to being able to disable ABS on top of disabling VSC, if that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 11:19 pm

CarolinaCruiser15 wrote:
I dont think Im following you David. Either way Ill have to get a button for the cabin. I guess what Im saying is, I dont know what the advantage is to being able to disable ABS on top of disabling VSC, if that makes sense.

Basically I was saying go with your choice "A":

Back to top Go down
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
cjcradier

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 11:21 pm

I drive with both off all the time. Stops fine but seems like it takes off smother with out all the shuddering and such.. But if its nasty out Ill turn it on and have abs. I did the under hood thing for about a week. Got old, now as I said I can turn it on and off on demand even driving down the road. No turning off the engine to reset the computer. I am not paying Toyota's premium on switch, I did it for less than $3.00. And while I was there I did the locker hack to use it in every range no just four lo.
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 11:22 pm

cjcradier wrote:
I drive with both off all the time. Stops fine but seems like it takes off smother with out all the shuddering and such.. But if its nasty out Ill turn it on and have abs. I did the under hood thing for about a week. Got old, now as I said I can turn it on and off on demand even driving down the road. No turning off the engine to reset the computer. I am not paying Toyota's premium on switch, I did it for less than $3.00. And while I was there I did the locker hack to use it in every range no just four lo.

Nice....Rolando, looks like you need to get with Cliff on this one.
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 11:34 pm

Personally I would rather spend the money for the switch instead of cutting wires...I just don't feel comfortable doing that. Having said that, I'm still not sure what the VSC does and if I even need to bother. I am also a newbie and have only had my FJ in 4WD twice and those were wimpy times. I need a trip to URE to learn the ropes...anyone want to train me prior to OBX?
Back to top Go down
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
cjcradier

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 11:50 pm

Scottydog wrote:
Personally I would rather spend the money for the switch instead of cutting wires...I just don't feel comfortable doing that. Having said that, I'm still not sure what the VSC does and if I even need to bother. I am also a newbie and have only had my FJ in 4WD twice and those were wimpy times. I need a trip to URE to learn the ropes...anyone want to train me prior to OBX?

Done right it is not a problem, and also the only you are doing is interrupting the ground on both circuits. I agree not every one should do this but I personally have been working on vehicles my entire adult life and even in my youth. That said I have seen some nitemareish rats nested work. I wouldn't even try to make it right. You couldn't pay me enough. I am not that man. I had a customer come from Texas to Georgia so I could work on his truck and fix other peoples mishaps. Not tooting my own horn here but done right there is nothing wrong with cutting a wire as long as you properly terminal and insulate said wire. I have no problem showing people how its done, or doing for them. No your rig and how to repair it. A shop wont always be there to help you or take advantage of you. Especially if you want to go off the beaten path.
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 12:21 am

I was doing a little more research and Im thinking the VSC button picture above was someones mod since, as far as I know, Toyota does not make turning VSC an option. I just learned this about 20 minutes ago. That being said, it seems like if you want to disable VSC and/or ABS, cutting a wire or two is the only way to get it done.

Personally, I want to have the option to turn it on and off depending on the activity. I think it "frees" the vehicle a bit and takes off some of those limitations Toyota has legally put in place.
Back to top Go down
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
cjcradier

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 12:24 am

I tottaly agree 100% vehicles are doing more now we have weaker drivers to show for it.
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 12:55 am

CarolinaCruiser15 wrote:
I was doing a little more research and Im thinking the VSC button picture above was someones mod since, as far as I know, Toyota does not make turning VSC an option. I just learned this about 20 minutes ago. That being said, it seems like if you want to disable VSC and/or ABS, cutting a wire or two is the only way to get it done.

Personally, I want to have the option to turn it on and off depending on the activity. I think it "frees" the vehicle a bit and takes off some of those limitations Toyota has legally put in place.

If what I am referring to is wrong, I will check my rig tomorrow....I have the button I referred to in the pic I posted previously, so maybe I am calling it the wrong thing?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Wire Harness   Random Wire Harness Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Wire Harness
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next