NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Empty
PostSubject: Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics   Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 2:42 pm

Picked them up yesterday!
Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Dscn0911
I took a drive up to Lenoir to talk with Bud from Budbuilt. It really came down to these or ricochet skids (I ended up also ordering a set of the ricochet LCA guards during their 15% sale). Both the Ricochet and Budbuilt products seem to be great and everyone who owns them gives them rave reviews. Having Bud local I thought I would drive up to see the product 1st hand. I am so glad I did. Bud is a great guy and just an all around genuine character. As others have said, his communication skills as it pertains to business might be lacking. Man he is a talker though. When talking to Bud plan to double the time you think it would take. However it well worth the listen. He has some neat stories about the beginnings of the FJC and aftermarket products. If you ever get the chance, do business with Bud in person. Its worth the drive.

I am going to install these on the first free day I have when it isn't so freaking hot. To start I built a pair of basic heavy duty ramps to give me a little more clearance. Definitely not a marvel in engineering or technology, but cost me $11 out of pocket. Worth it to me to have something stable to use over and over again.
Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Dscn0910
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics   Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 4:07 pm

Awesome, cant wait to see them on!!!! I went up to Wilkesboro about a month ago to meet with Jody, whos in our group. He was telling me stories about Bud also and said that Bud actually used his FJ as the template for his skids. Pretty cool stuff.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas

PostSubject: Re: Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics   Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 10:02 pm

I was able to install them today. All in all I was very pleased with how they went in. I am far from being an expert auto mechanic. It took about 4 hours for the entire installation. The tool list on the instructions was sufficient, but I would add a 14mm wrench, rubber mallet, 10mm socket (if you are installing the gas tank skid), and of course a pillow. I learned in the 1st 5 minutes my head and neck would appreciate the pillow. I took several pictures during the install, but I am only posting the pics where the instructions were too vague for a person like me who does not have a lot of experience under an FJ. Again these are not instructions, but just add-ins where I felt I could have used extra information/help.

I used some simple ramps to lift the FJ up. That combined with my lift/tires I imagine I had 8" of clearance above a stock FJ on the ground.

Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Dscn0912

Taking off the stock skids was easy enough.

Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Dscn0913
Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Dscn0914

On each side, take out one of the nuts fastened to the interior end of the angle support brace.

Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Dscn0915

The instructions start with the install here, but my recommendation is to go ahead and remove the stock gas tank skid and grounding wire. (This of course is only if you are adding the gas skid.) It can be removed later, but it would be a whole lot easier to remove before the transmission skid is in place. I found this out the hard way.

Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Dscn0923

Install the skids. The instructions do not call for this, but I would take out the removable oil filter panel. This way when you are adjusting everything you can line the opening with the oil filter cartridge.

Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Dscn0917

When attaching the mid/engine skid to the front skid the instructions show an older version of the attaching point. This is what it looks like for the 2011.

Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Dscn0918

Next step is to install the cross bracing. Instructions are clear except for the exhaust bracket on the passenger side. Remove both bolts. You will use the top bolt again. When reinstalling the exhaust bracket use 2 washers between the bracket and the frame. This is to compensate for the gap created by the new cross bracing.

Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Dscn0920
Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Dscn0921

Next is the transmission skid. The instructions use an old picture of a spacer. The new spacers are these.

Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Dscn0922

Install the transmission skid. This is where I needed the 14mm wrench. There wasn't enough space between the rear nut on the passenger side and the exhaust for me to get my socket on it. After final adjusting and fastening the front 3 skids, install the gas skid. The last instructions provided by Budbuilt say, "Tighten all the nuts and go assault the rocks!"

Here are the completed pics. I love how seamless the skids flow to the back. It was a big selling feature for me.

Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Dscn0924
Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Dscn0925
Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Dscn0926
Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Dscn0927
Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Dscn0928
Back to top Go down
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics   Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 10:05 pm

Brian, those look great!!! I really like the black also. Good job on the writeup too... very simple and straight forward.

Congrats man! Im sure it feels good to have them on! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics   Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 5:12 pm

Good write up Brian. I like your home made ramps. I agree about the pillow idea, I usually use a roll of paper towels Smile Bud's stuff is top notch from what I've heard and read. 3/16" is plenty beefy!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics   Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 6:15 pm

Thanks Bobby. I am adding more over the next month or so. Getting a rear diff skid while I am up there this weekend. And have been buying rear link armor too.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics   Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 7:23 pm

Looks great and thanks for taking the time to capture the little ins and outs of the install...hopefully it'll be saving me some time real soon!
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics   Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Definitely some nice looking skids. Like the setup a lot.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics   Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 8:15 pm

id like to reverse engineer them...not to take from bud...but i just bought a big ole piece of 3/16" and may get it bent...hhmmmmmm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics   Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 8:32 pm

Wow, This resurrected thread has come to life. Received more posts int he last 6 hours than it had in the last 6 months! Since it is open again. I received my Rocktek rear shock armor today. There was a special running in the blue room. They look pretty stout.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics   Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 9:01 pm

pics....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics   Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 9:31 pm

Go to the toyotaparts4u website for the shock armor. I will take some when I go to install them, but that won't be for a few more weeks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics   Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Budbuilt Skids - Install with pics
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NCFJ Cruisers :: Product Reviews :: Trail Armor - Skid Plates-
Jump to: