NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

FJ Firearm Storage Options

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BattBoy
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

FJ Firearm Storage Options Empty
PostSubject: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 9:21 pm

Any advice on storing a firearm (handgun or long gun) inside an FJ? My handguns are too large to fit in the accessory box on the dash and the glovebox is a long way to reach (and conspicuous). I'm not sure if the FJ had some kind of locking center console option but mine has no cover/lid at all. I feel like open carrying on the dash would be a bit "in your face" so I'm hoping to find something where I can hide but easily access both my CCW and my rifle/Saiga. The CCW obviously needs to be closeby but the long guns just need to be hidden well for when I'm stopping for food/gas. I know I could get a smaller gun but I prefer full size and figure there has to be a good way to store one.

I've seen a "Tuffy" console online but that claims the passenger arm rest has to be removed. Not sure if wifey would approve or how well the Tuffy does at replacing the arm rest and securing the contents.

I can't tell if the aftermarket overhead console I saw online could fit a full size handgun in its pocket/box.

For long guns I think building one of the rear floor storage drawer units would work if I only used one big drawer. I haven't seen any gun rack type stuff yet but I'm thinking there must be a good way to mount a carbine to an Orangeboxx rear door PSD.
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 5:13 am

Post pics for whatever you come up with. I would stay away from having any firearm visible. (rack on rear door) People will bust a window for a cell phone these days.....Not to mention a rifle.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 11:32 am

For use while driving, I've got a custom kydex holster for my XDS.  Mounted it to an MPAC center console barrier:
FJ Firearm Storage Options Mpac_s10

When I'm away from the truck, I lock the gun(s) up in my Tuffy center console box.  The wife actually prefers the "armrest" of the Tuffy over the OEM armrest, because it's softer and made of nice leather. No pics of this, but they all look the same.
Back to top Go down
BattBoy
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 1:07 pm

"Post pics for whatever you come up with."
Will do.

"I would stay away from having any firearm visible. (rack on rear door) People will bust a window for a cell phone these days.....Not to mention a rifle."
Agreed. Although I was thinking about something that was steel & lockable (something like an upper receiver vise clamp) but that wouldn't save my window Smile

"For use while driving, I've got a custom kydex holster for my XDS. Mounted it to an MPAC center console barrier"
Ahh, the MPAC is new to me. About $100 (+ holster)... Looks good. I'm not excited about drilling into my console/panels just yet for mounting it but I did see something about a Velcro option.

"When I'm away from the truck, I lock the gun(s) up in my Tuffy center console box. The wife actually prefers the "armrest" of the Tuffy over the OEM armrest, because it's softer and made of nice leather."
That's great info. Did you have to drill anything for the install? Do you think you could rip the Tuffy out with just a crowbar?
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 1:27 pm

Yeah, you can def mount the center console with the velcro that they include, but I'm not sure how stable it is... luckily the drilling was fairly minimal, so it wasn't too sketch for me to do.  Just measure twice, drill once!

As far as the Tuffy box, I don't see it being possible for anyone to get the leverage to steal it, even with a crowbar.  It uses the two stock bolts at the bottom of the OEM center console, but it also comes with a third grade 8 bolt if you decided to add an additional bolt for more security.
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 10:28 pm

This is not my FJ but this is where I have mine. But I did not get this holster. I bought a $14 Blackhawk from Walmart that works great.
FJ Firearm Storage Options Vehicle_mount2
Back to top Go down
BattBoy
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 11:11 pm

Thanks Scotty. Is there some kind of vehicle specific mount in use? Is that an older FJ or just a photo for an example of the location? I haven't seen that kind of mount before. It looks far cheaper than the MPAC console barrier & holster combo.
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 8:51 am

It is just an example. You can find them on line. Google Under steering wheel gun mount.

http://www.gungoddess.com/steering-wheel-column-holster-mount/
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 10:12 am

Yeah that's definitely the cheaper route than doing the MPAC!  I decided to go my direction because I was worried about my knee always knocking that mount (and also needed a place for my fixed blade/mag pouch/light)
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 2:16 pm

Mine's almost identical to Mitch's setup with the MPAC.  I use my passenger dash-mount rack for the fixed blade, light, sunglasses, etc.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 2:20 pm

Yea I really like that setup Ryan!  Post another picture if you get a chance!  I'll probably go that route for more storage sooner or later
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 2:34 pm

I don't really need the fixed blade, but I never know when my wife will need to stick someone.  I've also found it very useful for cutting out coupons in the parking lot of a store since it stays razor sharp.  Yeah, I'm cheap!

FJ Firearm Storage Options DSCN2332_zpsc16e515d

FJ Firearm Storage Options DSCN2325_zps60e2402a
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 4:31 pm

LOL I hope you didn't spend too much on it!  I am a bit of a knife collector, so when I purchased a fixed blade I had to have an overly awesome one (Benchmade Nimravus).  Don't need it too often, but it's nice once it gets used!
FJ Firearm Storage Options Mpac_s11
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 5:14 pm

Haha, $15 or so.  I keep my Benchmades on my person   Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BattBoy
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 8:43 pm

Passenger dash mount rack?? Who makes that? Or is it just a generic rack that you mounted there?

Lots of good info guys! Thanks for the pics. I'm starting to think I could just use the glovebox for locking up the handgun and use that Tuffy console money for the center console rack. I really like it.

How are you all attaching items like a sheath? Zip ties? 550? Alice clips?
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 10:18 pm

Haha Ryan, I always have a Benchmade on me too! 

And I have the knife sheath attached with Alice clips, the mag pouch is just strapped on with built-in straps, and I kind of jimmy rigged the kydex holster (pocket holster) with zip ties and a couple nuts for spacing. In the process of getting a holster for my Fenix TK15 flashlight, so it'll depend on the model I get. Alice clips are ideal!
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 6:34 am

Didn't think to mention it but I am becoming more and more of a fan of appendix carry. That would be as fast as any holster mounted in the vehicle.....IMO
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 11:48 am

True, but I feel like that'd be very uncomfortable sitting in the FJ with it up there all in my gut.  Mad
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

MCRobertson wrote:
Didn't think to mention it but I am becoming more and more of a fan of appendix carry. That would be as fast as any holster mounted in the vehicle.....IMO

I don't think that applies to me since I'm a 6MT.  My hand is usually on the shifter in a good place to draw more quickly than I could get to my person.  The seatbelt is uncomfortably close to blocking access to appendix carry for me as well.  Maybe you tall people are better off in that regard though.
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 3:13 am

Very valid point on 6MT... never considered that. It does also take some getting used. I have become a fan of it and think I'm going to go ahead and bite the bullet on a nice holster for CC.
Back to top Go down
BattBoy
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 1:31 pm

Speedrye wrote:
MCRobertson wrote:

I don't think that applies to me since I'm a 6MT.  My hand is usually on the shifter in a good place to draw more quickly than I could get to my person.  The seatbelt is uncomfortably close to blocking access to appendix carry for me as well.  Maybe you tall people are better off in that regard though.

I'm 6'8" and I don't think it would work for me. Regardless, I wouldn't be comfortable with a chambered round pointing at my junk. I assume when you say appendix carry you are talking about carrying in the front waistband? I don't see how that would work well unless you didn't use a seatbelt or had a very small gun. Guess I should try it this afternoon Smile
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 7:12 am

Appendix carry can have the gun under or over the seatbelt. (seatbelt over the gun or in between the gun and you belt) Also the firearm does not point at your "junk" so to speak. It kind of aim's down the crease of your leg, in between your "junk" and your leg. It sounds bad but I have grown to really like it. I still run my IWB Crossbreed also but a fast draw is null and void when sitting in a car.
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 1:14 am

Thought I would bring new light to this subject. Came across the  Bam holster http://bamholsters.storenvy.com/ which seems to work really well. These things hold 20 plus pounds and some even hold more than that. Great way to store and have the fastest draw possible.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 6:37 am

I've seen something like that but was worried about the surface of the gun being scratched... Looks like the Bam is rubber-coated though! The price is a little asinine, however.  Couldn't we just buy a high powered magnet online (a few bucks), mount it to a strip of metal or wood, then cover with heat-shrink tubing?
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 7:15 am

I would say all it is covered with is a heavy gauge heat shrink. The price is high and you could easily make this much cheaper if you were willing to go out and purchase everything you would need. I would not pay for the BAM but it gives options for those looking. Not sure how you could have anything else that would allow you to draw faster.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FJ Firearm Storage Options   FJ Firearm Storage Options Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FJ Firearm Storage Options
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next