Share | 

CB recommendations?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LaceyB
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: CB recommendations?    Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:02 pm

I have gone a bit over the minimum 1 year waiting period after getting the FJ paid off to where the husband has agreed to let me do some building. I already have a few things in the works but I need an opinion on a CB. What would you all recommend? Where would be the best place to buy the radio and the accessories?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: CB recommendations?    Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Midland 75-822....perfect in that it it two radios in one.   permanent mounted but also a hand held you can take with you...and usually can get it at a very good price.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: CB recommendations?    Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:18 pm

x2 on the Midlands! It is nice being able to take it out of the FJ....I always take it on long trips in rental cars or in our other vehicle.

walcottcb has packages. I recommend the Boztec mount as it is stainless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: CB recommendations?    Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:45 am

yeah i would go with the Boztec antenna mount also even though i have the bandi.  My bandi has not rusted like a lot of other bandi owners.  Being that you are near the coast i would certainly go with the Boztec.  The Midland is a great radio best of both worlds.  Do the "hard" mount and still take it with you.  Great if you are ever in a situation where you need to talk to someone giving them "spotting" instructions.  You get out and spot and they stay in and drive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LaceyB
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: CB recommendations?    Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:00 pm

Thanks for the recommendations! I know how to hard mount for power, I've done that with lights that ran off of plug in power sources, but I have a question on the antenna. Does the radio have an input to plug it in? Also, would it be beneficial to get an external speaker? Is it loud enough on its own or is there a way to route it through the vehicle's sound system?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: CB recommendations?    Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:28 pm

The Midlands just has the antenna connection along with the 12V plug... It just hangs there. You can run the cable and hide it all the way to the front but then you just connect it... No way to make it a real "finished" install like the Cobra one.

You can see it in both the wired and battery configurations in this pic: That one coiled cable splits into both the Cig. plug and antenna.

External speaker, no. The aux jack is on the top so that would just make for awkward cables everywhere. On the trails the volume is usually just fine. Listening to the truckers on the freeway is a little more difficult if you are just listening for fun lol....They are hard to understand regardless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343
j.dorton
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: CB recommendations?    Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:17 pm

The Midland is a good choice. Another popular one is the Cobra 75 WX ST. I've got one, and have been very pleased with it. Only negative I have on it, is after talking for about 12hrs straight back and forth on a convoy from Colorado the Mic started getting pretty warm. All functions continued normally, but, it did get pretty warm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Droop07FJ
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: CB recommendations?    Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:55 pm

Walmart carries the Midland 75-822 and is about $30 cheaper after shipping and tax than anywhere else I looked. Only downside is you may have to wait a couple more days before you can go pick it up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
simmoc04
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: CB recommendations?    Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:43 pm

Both great options for a third option you can usually catch used cobra 29 nightwatch units for under 50$ on ebay and it has a built in SWR meter. This option is not as portable but can still be a quick mount option. i looked at the handheld units when choosing mine but always liked the look of the cobra classic and got a great deal on mine for 30$. i fabbed up a quick mount for mine that sits on the back of the center console that just hangs on the back ledge under tension and ran the wires under the seats so it can be removed and hidden like the others if need be. ill take some pics after work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CB recommendations?    

Back to top Go down

CB recommendations?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1