NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shoe Creek run in VA

Go down 
+2
Macleod
MCRobertson
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

Shoe Creek run in VA Empty
PostSubject: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 1:10 am

Was looking to get a few ppl together to ride a VA trail call Shoe Creek. I have only been there once so I will have to research the exact location. It is about 45 minutes out of Lynchburg VA. This is a moderate trail that a stock 4x4 can pass  although there is other spots that the more adventurous can play. I was thinking Oct. 26. Any info on who would be interested.

Last edited by MCRobertson on Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Macleod
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 5:13 am

If you go the 26th, I'll probably be there. Nov 9, I'm already booked elsewhere for the weekend. I'll try to recruit some of the other "locals" once a date is chosen. If I can't go but any of those guys can, they can lead you straight in to the trail also. We're all very familiar with it.

Typically the groups I've gone with meet at the Apple Market on 29 in Amherst, gas up, and head in. It's a convenient meeting place and is easy to find. (1425 N Amherst Hwy, Amherst VA 24521)

Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 7:26 am

Yes that would probably be easiest. Plus would line ppl in a easy route home if they come up from NC/SC.
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 5:38 pm

Yeah I am in. 26th is fine.
That week is supposed to be peak color for the area as well.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 10:44 pm

is there camping near or on? looks pretty tame but i always like tame too.  the sights are worth more sometimes.  get some links up and more info im interested!!
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 3:10 am

There is camping on and near the trail. On the trail has your basic woods camping so bring everything you need. The trail is about 4 miles long and takes 3 to 4 hours to pass driving straight. It is a easy to moderate trail but does have other lines at trail openings that can give more challenge. One direction seems to have more challenge than coming from the other direction. A lot of people trail one way eat and then come back the opposite. I enjoy it for the view and outdoors as much as the wheeling.

I have not been able to find any links worth putting up because it is a small trail. It is not like the bigger trails that have many trails to pick from. Any Google of Shoe Creek, VA will give you what I have which is not much. Macleod has been on more than one occasion and could fill you in a bit more than I could.
Back to top Go down
Macleod
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 5:40 am

Quick rundown before work. It's not a challenging trail at all. It's far more scenic, but especially with the leaves changing it is totally worth it. There are several primitive camping spots along the trail. Some can accommodate a couple of people and some, like the one we used in August, will easily fit a dozen trucks plus tents and gear. 

The trail is stock friendly, we've never had a running board or predator step knocked off but if you choose a harder line there are a couple of places to purposely use your sliders. Or you could be like the Samurai I normally go up with and somehow end up on your side. Shocked As MCRobertson said, it's typically done as an up and back although there is highway access from the top of the trail if people need to leave. 

There aren't many links that really show anything other than the illegal spurs that the state has now barricaded, but here is a video from our last trip up that shows the different kinds of vehicles that come out and make it up and back. The bug even had to drive back to Newport News...with his fender in the backseat. Laughing 

If you can come and want to spend the day/weekend hanging out with good people on a trail that's pretty and fun but not technical then definitely make the trip.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 8:12 am

Ok so is it national forest? What kind of property is it? Also what about directions where do we actually get on the trail and where would we meet up prior to the run.  

Damn well if a Nissan can make it anybody can...I knew the bug would get thru no problem..
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 10:17 am

If anyone is going back south afterwards and it isnt too late you could stop by that Toyota show at Steven Toyota in Harrisonburg. Not sure when it ends.
Back to top Go down
Macleod
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 10:28 am

It's state maintained, so should be open despite the shutdown. The meeting place is the Apple Market BP station on 29, address 1425 Amherst HWY N Amherst, va 24521. The trail actually starts at the end of Perkins Mill Rd in Roseland, VA. I can post a link to the exact directions from google when I get home from work tonight. 

And a Nissan? That trip was FJs, the bug, a Tacoma, a Rover, a Samurai, the giant 4Runner, and the Jeep that's set up as a mud truck. If no one minds, I'll extend the invitation to them as well.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 10:42 am

Im actually pretty interested...ill have to mapquest it to determine if I will cammp or come home...
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 10:48 am

Ok so for me its 2hrs 45 min from my house. 150 miles.  This is a tough one as its maybe short enough to return but maybe long enough to camp....
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 10:50 am

Jennifer...lol your right no nissan...lookin at the vid on a phone in the sun...lol I mistook the red taco ...I guess it was the way the front bumper and lights ....lol I stand embarrasingly corrected..
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 1:02 pm

I'm 2:48 from it. I plan to just day-trip it.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 1:41 pm

Yeah I think that is what I will do too...what time wod everyone want to meet at the trail
Back to top Go down
Macleod
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 2:57 pm

Usually the meeting time is either 9 or 10 am and  we convoy in to the trail. I'm only about 90 minutes away so I can make any time work. When you guys pick a time we can also put it on fb for people like me who rarely check the forum. I know of two other FJs who may be interested, plus I mentioned it to the guy with the cherokee and he said that of you guys are okay with his group coming, he'll post it up for them also.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 3:19 pm

Cool sounds good...and of course his group is welcome...lol
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 4:10 pm

More the merrier. I assume you're talking Southside Offroad? Would be a good chance to meet them.

I'll vote 10am
Back to top Go down
Macleod
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 5:49 pm

10 sounds great. I'll let everyone know who may be interested and we'll see who shows up!
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 4:39 am

Sounds good. Hope more will join us.
Back to top Go down
Macleod
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 6:20 am

I've got two, maybe three, of the SSOR guys coming already. I guess they'd been talking about going that day anyway but hadn't made any final decision until now. They're discussing camping again, so if anyone decides to camp you probably won't be alone. I'll pot the trip on Facebook today. 

I can't wait!
Back to top Go down
Macleod
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 7:05 am

I posted it on fb but then decided to pull it back off until tonight. I got to thinking that the trail borders the blue ridge parkway and as such actually may not be accessible. I'm going to ride up there today just to see if it's chained off or open before we start inviting too many more people. I'll post up this afternoon what I find out.
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 4:32 pm

10-4
Back to top Go down
Macleod
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 6:31 pm

i typed a huge reply and my phone (which hates this forum anyway) ate it. 

Basically, both ends were open today with no sign of trail closure other than the hiking trail down to the falls. I'll repost on fb tonight.
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 9:40 pm

Good news there! I created a FB event for it as well in case others see it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shoe Creek run in VA   Shoe Creek run in VA Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shoe Creek run in VA
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next