Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

AirLift airbags install

Go down 
AuthorMessage

AirLift airbags install Empty
PostSubject: AirLift airbags install   AirLift airbags install Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 12:48 am

thought I`d contribute this to the "how to". I did this back in March 2013.

At this time I was removing the TT Ultimate 3" suspension kit and lowering the FJ while adding the Airlift bags to increase load and correct ride height when towing or placing heavier loads in the back of the FJ.

objective:
remove the TT 2" rear coils. Prep for air lift air bags. Drill, clean, and paint and all that good stuff.
Swap out the skyjacker rear sway bar links for the OEM links and adding Poly`s, new washers and nut
Install the Airlift bags in the OEM rear coils and run the air lines with a little more protection where the hose comes out of the coil spring perch. Zip tie following the E locker wire harness for travel when the rear articulates and then over the EVAP hoses and back to the hitch left hand mounting...

Since I was removing the rear coils and 5100 rear shocks, what was necc to do that simplified the installation of the air bag when installing the OEM suspension.
So following the disassembly and assembly of the OEM suspension and just adding the new parts.

I used a pair of 6 ton jack stands under the frame rail ahead of the rear axle.

removing the wheels, removing the bolt that holds the brake hose brackets and ABS sensor wires, disconnecting the rear sway bar links since these to are being returned to OEM, and placing the floor jack under the axle to support the housing while I removed the shocks, then articulated the rear with a smaller floor jack placed under the opposite side of removal basically using the center floor jack as a pivotal point helped with allowing enough room to remove the TT rear coils. After that task was completed, collapsing the air from the Airlift bags and placing them into the coils then installing the coils in their proper orientation into the spring buckets/supports.

Standard installation procedure for the oem shocks and sway bar links and installing the bolts for the hose and wire brackets. Using the floor jack again to raise the axle to assist in installing the shocks.

Now that the air bag are in place, I routed the hose thru the holes that were drilled larger in the spring support/perch and attached the hose with the supplied clamps. (Tip: Soapy water helps to move the bags in the coils for better access for the hose barbs and clamps.) I choose to follow the brake lines and OEM wiring above the third member as the articulating point and slack for the air lines for the bags. Then routing across the underside of the floor board over to the left side and finally attaching the fill valves to the trailer hitch support leg for easy deplete or fills. I opted for single lines to each bag to control rear sway and prevent air going from one bag to the other during cornering. This also helps with correcting any lean for uneven loads if necc. But so far I only keep a 2 psi offset from the left to right. Batter side gets the 2+ psi.

I`ve seen some installs where the "T" is installed with one fill valve and that most likely would be better for wheeling for better axle housing articulation...

One thing to remember with these types of nags is that the air bags expand in width to cause interference and bind in between the rear coil windings. Making it harder to compress.
You wouldn`t want to install these in longer springs bc there is another part number for longer bags, and you need to retain and cut the jounce stopper. You would not want the bags to lift inside the coils and pull on the fill hoses.
Also keep this in mind when having the FJ on a lift where the rear axle will hang, in this case deplete the air from the bags and then refill when down on the ground. A minimum of 5 psi is required at all time with a max of 35 psi under load...

I towed a heavy trailer with 25 psi in the bags for 600 miles each way and it was perfect, while reducing the psi to 17-19 when towing the boat trailer.

well here are a few pics:
AirLift airbags install 71796d1364081752-shiba-cruiser-pale-rider-p1010273
AirLift airbags install 71797d1364081774-shiba-cruiser-pale-rider-p1010272AirLift airbags install 71798d1364081820-shiba-cruiser-pale-rider-p1010274AirLift airbags install 71799d1364081854-shiba-cruiser-pale-rider-p1010279AirLift airbags install 71800d1364081880-shiba-cruiser-pale-rider-p1010278AirLift airbags install 71801d1364082067-shiba-cruiser-pale-rider-p1010277
AirLift airbags install 71802d1364082088-shiba-cruiser-pale-rider-p1010275
 AirLift airbags install 71803d1364082128-shiba-cruiser-pale-rider-p1010276
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AirLift airbags install   AirLift airbags install Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 1:14 am

Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: AirLift airbags install   AirLift airbags install Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 1:44 pm

Nice, clean job!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy_T
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
Tommy_T

PostSubject: Re: AirLift airbags install   AirLift airbags install Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 6:10 pm

I recently installed air lifts in my 2012.  I tow a pop up camper with about 300 pound hitch weight.  Without the air lifts the rear would go down over 3 inches.  With 12 psi in the bags it goes down less than 1/2 inch.

I didn't know about the longer bags.  I have OME suspension with 895 springs in the rear.  When I deflate the bags to 5 psi for normal driving they will ride up a little higher in the spring, the bottom air lift supplied spacer becomes loose.  The spacer is not going anywhere of course because the air hose is run through the center of it.  I've got plenty of slack in the hose so it's not pulling on it. 

Question for Pale Rider - with your stock springs, about  how much space is there between the top of your air lift bag and the (now cut off) bumpstop with the truck on the ground at no load and low pressure (5 psi) in the bags?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: AirLift airbags install   AirLift airbags install Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 7:06 pm

Hey Tommy, I will check for you early this week. I never run them less than 11-13 psi with no load so I can`t say what they would be like with only 5 psi in them... I will reduce the pressure and have a look.

so far the air bags I have do not ride up the spring and stay in place. The rubber bottom isolator does and can move around when the suspension articulate with low air pressure. Mine have sort of worn into the spring perch already.
I used to drop the pressure and re-center the isolators, but I stopped doing that and they have been fine.

I do keep air in the bags bc it helps with rear sway, the oem is mushy compared to the ToyTec lift I had in the rig previously.
Back to top Go down
Tommy_T
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
Tommy_T

PostSubject: Re: AirLift airbags install   AirLift airbags install Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 7:25 pm

Thanks, appreciate the input.  Don't go to the trouble of deflating and re-inflating your bags.  I'm just curious how much gap there is at the top of the bag with a stock setup so i can compare.  If you could just measure the gap and let me know what psi you have I can then compare with my Old Man Emu springs with my bags at that same psi.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: AirLift airbags install   AirLift airbags install Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 9:00 pm

currently with 13-15 psi in the bags there is no gap between the bag and bump stop.

funny how the bags purpose is to expand in width to create pressure against the coils to reduce spring compression, but with 15 psi it lifts the rig 1/2"
Back to top Go down
Tommy_T
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
Tommy_T

PostSubject: Re: AirLift airbags install   AirLift airbags install Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 9:36 pm

Thanks so much! 

I went out this afternoon and deflated them, and pulled them back down.  Re-inflated to 10 psi and I have about an inch and a half gap.  Thought I'd drive it a while at 10 psi and see if they stay in place. 

I'm thinking about inserting the top section of the bumper (that was cut off to be discarded) underneath the air lift bottom spacer.  I could just make a slit in it to fit the air filler hose through it.  Maybe glue it to the spring perch.  It's kind of a band-aid fix but my only other choice is to buy new longer bags, I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: AirLift airbags install   AirLift airbags install Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 9:47 pm

Tommy_T wrote:
Thanks so much! 

I went out this afternoon and deflated them, and pulled them back down.  Re-inflated to 10 psi and I have about an inch and a half gap.  Thought I'd drive it a while at 10 psi and see if they stay in place. 

I'm thinking about inserting the top section of the bumper (that was cut off to be discarded) underneath the air lift bottom spacer.  I could just make a slit in it to fit the air filler hose through it.  Maybe glue it to the spring perch.  It's kind of a band-aid fix but my only other choice is to buy new longer bags, I guess.
 your welcome!Cool

I don`t recommend lifting them in the springs. The bags are meant to grow in width and squeeze out between the coils making the coils harder to compress...
maybe just try and run them inflated more. The drop you are experiencing when hooked up to the trailer is probably from the area where there is no bag. (up top)

Look in the blue room for the thread that has the air bag part number for the longer bags or call AirLift directly...
Back to top Go down
Tommy_T
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
Tommy_T

PostSubject: Re: AirLift airbags install   AirLift airbags install Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 2:10 pm

Well I went ahead and bought the kit (60744) with longer airbags.  It was working "ok" but it just bugged me that it was not 100% "right".   

I bought the complete kit cheaper than the cost of two replacement longer bags.  I've put the stock bag kit up for sale in the classified section. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

PostSubject: Re: AirLift airbags install   AirLift airbags install Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 9:23 am

I regret not buying some of these for this past weekend lol... Thing was squatting down about 2". Aired up the rear tires a good bit which helped a lot.I just think I loaded the thing a little too heavy up front. Made it the 6 (or eight) hours though.

AirLift airbags install IMG-20130830-00042_zps24c6500a
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343

PostSubject: Re: AirLift airbags install   AirLift airbags install Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 9:57 pm

The airbags make a huge difference in handling when towing and also reduce sag.
Back to top Go down
fjrider
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: AirLift airbags install   AirLift airbags install Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2015 10:04 pm

Very neatly installed. So hows drive feel after the installation?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AirLift airbags install   AirLift airbags install Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AirLift airbags install
Page 1 of 1