NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

painting rims and trim

Go down 
+3
2011TRDIceberg
iwashmycar
LaceyB
7 posters
AuthorMessage
LaceyB
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
LaceyB

painting rims and trim Empty
PostSubject: painting rims and trim   painting rims and trim Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 4:08 pm

I have been contemplating doing this for a while, and I feel it's time. I have done the research and I have found conflicting opinions. Which is the nest paint to use on the rims and trim pieces? It seems it comes down to Rustoleum or Dupli-color engine paint. Is it better to use one on the rims and a different on the trim or just do it all in one?

Also, has any one tried to do a vinyl wrap for the roof? It was just a thought....
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

PostSubject: Re: painting rims and trim   painting rims and trim Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 4:30 pm

I'd Rustoleum the rims for durability and touch-ups. But as far as trim goes, there is Duplicolor Trim Paint that seems to work really well. No sense in using metal or high temp paint on plastic.

Plastidip is also VERY popular for the trim.

A few have wrapped the roof....it can be a few hundred bucks though to have done.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343
2011TRDIceberg
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2011TRDIceberg

PostSubject: Re: painting rims and trim   painting rims and trim Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 4:36 pm

Just to clarify in my mind, when you say trim you mean the bumper wings and pieces like that?
Back to top Go down
LaceyB
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
LaceyB

PostSubject: Re: painting rims and trim   painting rims and trim Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 4:56 pm

Yes...sorry. The exterior trim. Going to try the blackout look. My FJ gets confused with others in the area that are the same and it causes a headache with certain people sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: painting rims and trim   painting rims and trim Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 4:59 pm

I've been very happy with Rustoleum #7777, Satin Black.  I've probably got 20 cans on my truck by now.  Skid plates, bumpers, misc. parts, mirrors, handles, suspension links, roof, etc.  After most of three years, I have virtually no fading, scratches or scuffs on any of it except the skids.  It's been more durable than the factory paint for me.
Back to top Go down
LaceyB
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
LaceyB

PostSubject: Re: painting rims and trim   painting rims and trim Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 5:08 pm

How hard was it to do the roof? Im looking at options trying to figure out which will look the best and leave me without a vehicle for the shortest period of time since its the only one I have.
Back to top Go down
2011TRDIceberg
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2011TRDIceberg

PostSubject: Re: painting rims and trim   painting rims and trim Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 5:10 pm

LaceyB wrote:
Yes...sorry. The exterior trim. Going to try the blackout look. My FJ gets confused with others in the area that are the same and it causes a headache with certain people sometimes.

HAHA I understand exactly what you mean. I did plasti dip on my bumpers and rims, i'm very happy with it. I will eventually get brave and do the grill and mirrors and handles.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: painting rims and trim   painting rims and trim Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 6:09 pm

like i said i have used pretty much all brands...if i had to pick I would go with the Rustoleum...stuff is like steel.  the handles, mirrors, grill and end caps are all very easy to remove and paint. You can also paint on the truck you will obviously have to mask off more.  Ryan (Speedrye) did a fantastic job on his roof and it looks great. My only issue with "wrapping" the roof is that if you screw it up you and you alone are responsible.  If you mess it up it may cost you just as much to do it again which might equal having it professionally done.  Most places that do wraps could probably have it done in a day.  Painting it yourself is good if you take your time.  Paint it one day, clean it and sand it the next or when you have time.  I do all my black out differently than most in that i use FLAT black.  The majority have used a satin or at the very least semi flat.  A lot have gone with shinny black.  Personal preference is all that is.  The Plasti Dip is a very popular choice for everything.  Easy to apply, and ifyou dont like it easy enough to get off even after several days.  The longer it stays on however the harder but not impossible,  it is to remove.  It does harden up to a very nice shell.
Back to top Go down
2011TRDIceberg
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2011TRDIceberg

PostSubject: Re: painting rims and trim   painting rims and trim Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 7:11 pm

My bumpers have been dipped for over a year and no complaints ...however I did go a step farther and hit it with a light coat of paint just for extra protection (least it makes me feel better )
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: painting rims and trim   painting rims and trim Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 9:44 pm

LaceyB wrote:
How hard was it to do the roof? Im looking at options trying to figure out which will look the best and leave me without a vehicle for the shortest period of time since its the only one I have.

Really really hard!  I'm too short to reach the center areas of the roof easily, even when working on a ladder.  I removed all the weatherstripping at the doors, removed the rear window and it's weatherstripping and removed the roof rack.  Used Frog Tape (incredible stuff!!) to tape off the lines and standard blue painters tape to tape everything else.  I covered the whole truck in plastic so I didn't have to mess with overspray.  I've still only done one main coat and really need to go back, wet sand and do a second coat, but it actually turned out pretty good for the most part.  I'm not a painter by any means, but I'm getting pretty good at it after painting so many parts.
Back to top Go down
fjrider
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: painting rims and trim   painting rims and trim Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 9:56 pm

Powder coating the rims will be better and more durable compared with regular paint.
Back to top Go down
wjay105
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: painting rims and trim   painting rims and trim Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 4:40 am

Powdercoat on wheels is durable yet more difficult to maintain and touch up than using a regular paint.
Back to top Go down
fjrider
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: painting rims and trim   painting rims and trim Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2015 10:07 pm

wjay105 wrote:
Powdercoat on wheels is durable yet more difficult to maintain and touch up than using a regular paint.
I agree that would be the only disadvantage. Had it with my atx wheels. Got some scratch on it I thought it would be an easy fix, instead I have to re do the power coating. I should have let it as is with it oem color.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: painting rims and trim   painting rims and trim Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

painting rims and trim
Page 1 of 1