NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 1:22 pm

Hey also, where'd you mount your amp/amps?  My old truck had them under the front seats, but that made me real uncomfortable because of spills/mud/rain coming in.  I think my best bet would be to mount them under the platform with the sub, but just make sure there's enough ventilation.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 1:47 pm

When it was just the sub amp, it was flush mounted to the sub box.  You can see it in the picture below.  Since then, I've removed that and gone with a larger multi-channel amp to power my front speakers as well.  It's actually mounted vertically just behind the driver's side rear seat.  It's just floating there with a little airspace all around it.  It doesn't get much airflow, but it's enough to keep it cool and out of thermal protection mode.

Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 DSCN0290
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 2:09 pm

That sounds easy enough, but I don't know if I want to mount mine to my seat, especially being that I've got two separate amps.  I can see them getting damaged, especially if I fold the seats down at any point.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 2:20 pm

Mine's not attached to the seat.  It's on brackets between the shelf and the floor.  The seats can be folded down and nothing is affected, except that you can see the rear of the amp.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 4:54 pm

Ahhhh gotcha.  If you get a chance sometime, you think you could snap a quick picture of how you did that?  If it's too much trouble it's all good.
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 8:49 am

I believe a sealed box requires less airspace.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 8:59 am

Yup, sealed boxes typically need less space, but they often need more power to achieve the same SPL.

Oh hey, here's a picture of the amp (well, half of it).  It's not pretty, but you get the idea...
Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 DSCN2706_zps309dbff8
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 9:23 am

Ahhh I see what you mean now!  If I went this route, I'd probably build a small enclosure on the backside (vented somehow) just to keep things clean and assure those amps are not too exposed.
So... if I get this here box built, you wanna help me wire it all up nicely?  I assume if you could, it'd have to be in 2014 as discussed in a previous topic lol!
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 am

If nothing else, I'll walk you through it.  Amp/sub wiring is quite easy for the most part.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 9:31 am

Easy says the electrical engineer (or whatever it is you do)!  Laughing   When I studied construction tech at ASU, I always struggled in the electrical classes... that stuff just doesn't stick with me for some reason!
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 9:40 am

Haha, I've never even read a book on electrical stuff.  Most of my knowledge comes from taking toys apart as a kid and figuring out how they worked.  I burned up a lot of electronics over the years as a kid...

I actually design and build homes for a living.  Mainly design, but I'll build maybe a house a year as time permits.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 9:45 am

LOL, that is sickening to me! You have WAY too much knowledge of this stuff!  That's awesome that you design and build though dude!
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 10:00 am

I really enjoy the designing and mostly like the building because it gets me out of the office.  It's also nice working with a customer from their initial idea, all the way through them moving in to a house.  I handle all of it myself, so it gets stressful sometimes, but it also gives me a lot of good resources for materials and really smart guys.
  As a good example, my millwork company has an awesome cutting machine for wood.  Throw in some 3/4" mdf and a CAD file and it'll cut whatever shape you want.  It's really tempting to build as awesome custom sub box.  My roofer also has an offroad 4wd shop with an awesome rock buggy.  Lots of connections are out there and a lot of the guys are willing to swap work so money doesn't even have to change hands.  My roofer will do welding for me if I help him with wiring stuff.
  Of course it really helps to know the AutoCAD now that I've learned how easy it is to make custom metal parts.  Draw something up, email it to the laser cutter and the big brown truck drops you custom parts off in a week or two.  It can get addictive.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 10:10 am

I can imagine that would be addictive!  It definitely helps to know people though!  How hard would it be for me to get your connection to that wood cutting machine? haha
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 10:28 am

PM sent
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 10:40 am

GIGGITY Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 9:14 am

I would recommend letting the amp breath no matter where you put it. Those things are tough and can handle a lot of abuse in most cases but I have never been partial to letting electrical components get no warmer than need be. Insulation does break down over time.

Also I'm not sure on the amp size but I would say you have plenty of juice from the amp to operate your subs in a sealed box. Just a thought, sealed and not vented would save on space.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 10:10 am

Yeah I definitely don't want to risk any overheating.  My plan is to build a platform similar to the one that Ryan posted, but I will enclose the entire back half - right side will have the sub enclosed - left side will have the amps enclosed and mounted at an angle.  I'll use the current grate that is protecting the amps in my current box, but I'll cut it down to fit the lower opening.
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 4:35 pm

I actually miss the stereo days.....but not enough to spend the money to get back into it lol. I used to 4 JL w6 12's in a wall back when I was competing SPL. Now I'm happy with the factory sub.

P.S.     My brother has a JL 1000/1 he is trying to sell if you know of anyone interested.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 10:05 am

Holy jeebus!  4 12W6's?!  My one is more than plenty, I can't imagine quadrupaling that!

I'll keep an eye out for someone looking for an amp... how much is he trying to get for it?
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 10:32 am

My 12's were in a wall and I was doing some SPL matches with it. Sound quality was horrible and I could really only burp the system. Being a kid and wasting money although I was working for a place that sold the equipment which made it nice.

Not exactly sure what he wants. I think he is just taking offers due to the fact that he could care less if he sells it or not.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 10:33 am

Then in that case I'll offer him $100 rabbit
Back to top Go down
MCRobertson
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
MCRobertson

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 1:05 pm

I will turn your offer in. Although I'm not sure of the response you may get....I'll keep it PG-13...lol
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 1:10 pm

BAHAHAHAHA
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring   Help Needed:  Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help Needed: Audio - Subwoofer box build and wiring
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2