NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lights on Top

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Lights on Top Empty
PostSubject: Lights on Top   Lights on Top Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 8:17 pm

Starting to plan lights on top of the FJ. All that have them on top should I go through the Toyota way (through the roof) or down the A Pillar? I saw a video on YouTube going down the A Pillar and it looked painless. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

Lights on Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lights on Top   Lights on Top Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Go straight through the sunroof...
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

Lights on Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lights on Top   Lights on Top Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 2:29 pm

I went through the A pillar. It was easy and hid the wires well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Lights on Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lights on Top   Lights on Top Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 9:24 pm

Paul I did mine by going right through the roof. I bought some firewall grommets from a racing supply company(competition products) and used a step drill to drill a 3/4" hole right into my roof. Would I do that again, probably not. However, as a machinist I have plenty of accessible resources to maintain the hole in my roof. My reason for doing it this way was nothing short of simplicity and convenience. I honestly suggest that you do it a more discrete way otherwise you may regret the whole mod. I have often thought about closing up the hole in my roof and doing away with the lights altogether. In the 4 years they have been up there I have never used them. The lights and bar is only for appearance on my FJ. I would much rather have a couple sets mounted on my bumper, wired in with the high beams.
Back to top Go down

Lights on Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lights on Top   Lights on Top Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 pm

Sun Cruiser 6 wrote:
Paul I did mine by going right through the roof. I bought some firewall grommets from a racing supply company(competition products) and used a step drill to drill a 3/4" hole right into my roof. Would I do that again, probably not. However, as a machinist I have plenty of accessible resources to maintain the hole in my roof. My reason for doing it this way was nothing short of simplicity and convenience. I honestly suggest that you do it a more discrete way otherwise you may regret the whole mod. I have often thought about closing up the hole in my roof and doing away with the lights altogether. In the 4 years they have been up there I have never used them. The lights and bar is only for appearance on my FJ. I would much rather have a couple sets mounted on my bumper, wired in with the high beams.
Good to know. Legally they won't be much good on the roof on road. That's one reason I have mine on two switches on the bumper.

My next addition of lights will be the rear facing LEDS. probably get them next week from Steve (SoutheastOverland). We need to support him and other businesses like his.
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

Lights on Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lights on Top   Lights on Top Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 12:05 pm

paulwardinc wrote:

Good to know. Legally they won't be much good on the roof on road. That's one reason I have mine on two switches on the bumper.

My next addition of lights will be the rear facing LEDS. probably get them next week from Steve (SoutheastOverland). We need to support him and other businesses like his.

Thanks brother - the support means a ton.

I never used my roof lights on the road, now off road, IT'S ON!

I hopefully will have a 21.5" double stack bar on my front bumper tonight or tomorrow, and a 41.5" double stack bar on the roof once I get our prototype FJ Cruiser roof mounts out for a test.

Last edited by Southeast Overland on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.SoutheastOverland.com

Lights on Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lights on Top   Lights on Top Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 3:11 pm

No problem Steve!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lights on Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lights on Top   Lights on Top Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lights on Top
Page 1 of 1