HomePortalCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

thank goodness for preventative maintenance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: thank goodness for preventative maintenance    Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:02 pm

Ok i was out in my barn working on a bumper when i decided to take a break and check my winch for operational readiness. I have the Smittybilt XRC8. I started by making sure the winch pulled in and let out..all good there. Then i decided to make sure that the free spool toggle worked and that i could pull the cable out freely. this is where i ran into trouble. I could not disengage the lock. i tried rotating the drum but to no avail. What i did was unroll the entire 100 ft of cable. what i did next was pull the housing end off where the toggle for freespool/engage is and inspected the cover itself...what i found was that there is a detent ball that holds the toggle in place when rotated from freespool to engaged. That ball was frozen and was not allowing the toggle to actually work it was locked in the engaged position. I worked it around a bit and got it moved. Now i can toggle between the two but im gonna have to find a better way to deal with this...for the moment it works. what i found was that the ball obviously has a spring behind it. The ball is not chromed or stainless and nor is the spring so they both have corroded and that is what locked it up. Im going to have to figure a way to keep that ball and spring from rusting shut or open depending on where it ends up. I also noted there the grease that is in the body was all packed at the bottom of the winch. I remember that either Casey or Tyler had done a thread on their winch and i will have to check that out to see what they had done.
Basically im glad that i did this PM because it would have been a pain in the arse to try to deal with out on the trails...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: thank goodness for preventative maintenance    Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:54 pm

Motoring it out wouldn't be so bad... affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: thank goodness for preventative maintenance    Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:04 pm

yeah it wouldnt and thats what i had to do to be able to effectively rotate the drum..it wouldnt be so bad to motor it out ..i just would rather not have to..glad i got in there and checked it all out...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: thank goodness for preventative maintenance    Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:01 pm

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/115443-smittybuilt-xrc-winch-improvement-write-up.html

Here is the write up I did. All I did was grease that grease portal really well and I haven't had any issues since
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: thank goodness for preventative maintenance    Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks bro...i was looking all over for that...lol...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
85runner
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: thank goodness for preventative maintenance    Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:14 pm

Welcome to the world of a shittybuilt winch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: thank goodness for preventative maintenance    Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:19 pm

did you actually pack the grease or just smear the gears with it? in mine it looked like they put grease in but did not spread it around any of the gears...im still going to have to work on that detent ball...i had to tap it with a hammer and awl to get it to move enough to toggle the handle...doing that though im sure it wont stay in either position too long as vibration will move it im sure...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: thank goodness for preventative maintenance    Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:21 pm

The solenoid is another thing that i will deal with soon ...i did take the cover off and i have rigged an ATV winch control from a warn winch inside the cab so i dont have to run the remote into the truck i can do it all from the cab...but i see how that solenoid can be a problem...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: thank goodness for preventative maintenance    Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:40 pm

im gonna do a complete cleaning and maintenance on the winch when i take it out of the bumper in a few days...im going to be working on a plate bumper so i will need to try to fit it all, including how to mount a solenoid...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: thank goodness for preventative maintenance    

Back to top Go down

thank goodness for preventative maintenance
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1