NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jocassee Gorges?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 12:12 pm

So is anyone up for trying the new place out in the next few months? It's close to Table Rock, which has some good camping to make a trip out of it......

https://www.facebook.com/JocasseeGorgesOffRoadClub?ref=ts&fref=ts
Back to top Go down

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 12:32 pm

I am always game. I can't pull it up here at school though. The table rock area is within 20 minutes of Brown Mountain OHV area, which has free/cheap camping.
Back to top Go down

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 12:48 pm

Nick what is the address? I think you might be thinking of Flat Rock?
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 2:16 pm

259 Sunset Community Road, Pickens, South Carolina

Nope - it's definitely Table Rock in Pickens. I don't think it's near Brown Mtn though. It's in South Carolina.
Back to top Go down

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 2:49 pm

When you said Table Rock, I thought you meant Table Rock, NC (near morganton). I own about 0.2 acres in pickens. If I can find out the address and how to get to my property we can camp on it! Very Happy

XX-Blackout (a member in here and the blue room) lives there. He may be able to provide some information about it. Stan might be able to as well.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 2:53 pm

I'm not sure how the trails are there, but it's supposed to be real nice country up there. We camped at Table Rock state park last year, and there's some real nice swimming spots - and a natural rock water slide nearby. Great hiking also - but not easy to do with the kids..
Back to top Go down

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 6:38 pm

Looks like my kind of place with lots of dirt hill climbs. I will miss my old tires if it is wet. So whats the deal with admission? cost? permits?
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 6:45 pm

sounds like fun...even if we camped on Brians land...that would be cool!
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 7:30 pm

Looks like a cool place. I'd be game.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 8:48 pm

$20 per truck, $5 per person. Same as Gulches.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 2:15 pm

Well, so much for that. Looks like they were shut down already. Sad
Back to top Go down

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 2:56 pm

Yeah, I saw that on another forum. Is it a permanent closure or due to weather. The facebook site made it seem like weather caused the closure. You know those SC parks, a little rain and they shake in their boots.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 3:05 pm

Looks like the county shut them down temporarily. I think they have to go to some hearings to argue why they should be allowed to stay open. Those things never turn out good, since all of the old folks that don't understand will show up to argue against it.
Back to top Go down

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 3:21 pm

Yeah we have to save the trout for the troutfishermen and not scare the deer for hunters.
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 3:28 pm

From what I gather it's a mud on the road problem, like Gulches was facing.

Might just be a bit more picky up that way!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 9:56 pm

Maybe this sometime down the road?

http://m.durhamtownoffroad.com/
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 10:47 pm

Brian wrote:
Maybe this sometime down the road?

http://m.durhamtownoffroad.com/

I could probably swing that one since it's close to Tresa's brother's house.

I'd like to try Beasley Knob too.
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 2:43 pm

I've been to Durhamtown and Beasley Knob. Both are worth a trip. I end up at Beasley Knob more.

I haven't been to the Jocassee Gorges Off Road Park yet. It is about 40 minutes from the shop. I'd like to check it out soon.
Back to top Go down
http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
JiveTurkey0514
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
JiveTurkey0514

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 3:06 pm

Yeah they have this place temp shut down. It was because of some of the locals complaining about dirt on the road. The park had an overall good feel with the community and all i keep hearing is that its set to open back up. I live about 5 minutes from this place and ive got plenty of land for some guys to camp if you decide to make a trip down when it re opens. Im new to the forum and new to the FJ world, but iwashmycar invited me over. Look forward to hopefully hitting the trails with you guys sometime.
Back to top Go down

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 3:21 pm

Sounds good. Lets us know if you hear of it opening.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 5:30 pm

I'm hoping it opens back up soon. Gonna need some more options now that URE could be questionable.

Nice thing about Jocassee is I can plan it around some camping trips to Table Rock Smile
Back to top Go down
JiveTurkey0514
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
JiveTurkey0514

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 11:48 am

madtoy that natural rock water slide you said you guys went to, did it happen to be on a golf course? If so I can see that slide off my back porch haha Its called Gauley falls. If you guys are ever in the area, ceasers head is a quick drive from table rock and definatly worth a visit. Beautiful over look, tons of hikes, and a few waterfalls.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 1:03 pm

JiveTurkey0514 wrote:
madtoy that natural rock water slide you said you guys went to, did it happen to be on a golf course? If so I can see that slide off my back porch haha Its called Gauley falls. If you guys are ever in the area, ceasers head is a quick drive from table rock and definatly worth a visit. Beautiful over look, tons of hikes, and a few waterfalls.

Nah. It was kind of in the middle of nowhere. Down the hill from Table Rock, there's a 4 way yellow light (I think) with a gas station on the corner. Another couple or so miles past that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Jocassee Gorges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jocassee Gorges?   Jocassee Gorges? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jocassee Gorges?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NCFJ Cruisers :: Events :: Individual Trail Rides-
Jump to: