NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hankook tires

Go down 
+4
iwashmycar
MadToy
NC FJ Driver
Crazy Hube
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

Hankook tires - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hankook tires   Hankook tires - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 10:34 pm

Glad to see they fit with your stock wheels, these tires run pretty true to their size, I hope they work out for you. I might of just got a bad batch but had nothing but problems with mine. They do have great traction off road but I also ripped off several big lugs on one trip with less then zero tire spin. Good looking tire & size. The sidewalls are allot thinner then the KM2's when compared. Just saying, Smile

http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com/t1404p30-hankook-mt-rt03-tires
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hankook tires   Hankook tires - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 10:52 pm

I had concerns about the sidewall, because of the 2ply. However the tires state 3ply side walls on them. Not sure, because the website showed 2ply. The lugs do seem softer, so chunking might be an issue. I just have to see how they do in a few weeks.

To be honest I almost didn't go with them because of your issues. However all the other reports seem to be positive. We will just have to see how they hold up.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Hankook tires   Hankook tires - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 11:08 pm

Did you put the level on the ground first, to be sure it was also level? Smile
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Hankook tires   Hankook tires - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 11:10 pm

well i hope they work out for you Brian...they do have a pretty cool look and im glad they fit the stock tire...
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Hankook tires   Hankook tires - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 11:11 pm

And you've got 30 days to really decide if you like 'em.....

Not that I would know anything about that Suspect
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hankook tires   Hankook tires - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 11:17 pm

MadToy wrote:
Did you put the level on the ground first, to be sure it was also level? Smile
damn you are picky!

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
well i hope they work out for you Brian...they do have a pretty cool look and im glad they fit the stock tire...
Me too. The wife will be pretty upset if I need to change tires in 2013. Maybe in 2014, if I buy her something big!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hankook tires   Hankook tires - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 11:20 pm

MadToy wrote:
And you've got 30 days to really decide if you like 'em.....

Not that I would know anything about that Suspect

Oh I am definitely "Nick"ing them after the gulches if the don't hold up. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Hankook tires   Hankook tires - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 11:25 am

Brian wrote:
damn you are picky!

What a Face

I did the same thing with the level, and mine measured 31". Then I put the level on the ground and realized it was not even close to being level, so when I matched the angle, I gained an inch Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hankook tires   Hankook tires - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 12:17 pm

I used my driveway, which might not be perfectly level. The tire would have been on the lower side (if there is a slope), so I guess if I am off the actual value would be slightly higher. I cant see it being that much though. I can certainly see a 1" rise in a 2-3 ft run. Now I am going to be worried about you spotting me. Laughing
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Hankook tires   Hankook tires - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 12:43 pm

I can spot squirrels in the road a mile ahead..... alien
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hankook tires   Hankook tires - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 3:45 pm

I am really liking these tires! At this point I have taken them on just about all of the main trails of Uwharrie. They have performed very well. They really gripped the ledges on Daniel and Dickey Bell. In both cases the tires gripped the rocks well. I have also noticed there was less hitting my sliders, frame, and skids. The extra 1/4" ground clearance is turning out to be significant. The tires also did very well on a VERY muddy Dutch John hill. Just walked right up. I don't think they have and advantage in this terrain over some of the more aggressive MTs (MTRs, KM2s, etc.), but it was good enough for me. The rocks is where I am seeing them really do well. The lug compound is softer and grips well. I usually air down to 19-20 lbs and am gripping the rocks well. I was worried the softer compound might lead to more gouges in the lugs, but so far nothing.

The only negative I have with these tires is the loss of mpg. I was averaging 18.3mpg with my 255 KM2s, and with the Hankooks it right around 17.3 mpg. Thats pretty significant for me, but I guess it is the price you pay.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hankook tires   Hankook tires - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 9:33 pm

I really like these tires! They did really well at the Gulches today. It was pretty slick. I didn't do all of the regular trails I normally do. However I did one really steep downhill decent. It was real slick from recent rain. What impressed me was my ability to brake with them on this decent. I did not slip much at all. Without being there this might not seem like much, but this was pretty significant.

I have also decided their noise level is roughly the same as the BFGs at 0-60mph, but is less at interstate speeds.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Hankook tires   Hankook tires - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 8:27 am

Has your gas mileage settled back towards normal or is it still down?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hankook tires   Hankook tires - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 9:39 am

It has increased some! Not much though. I have been using 89 octane (when only 20 cent or more than 87) and switched my K&N back in (except when offroading in dusty conditions). Last 2 months I have been averaging around 17.5 mpg, which is roughly 0.5 mpg less than the KM2s.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Hankook tires   Hankook tires - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 1:26 pm

1/2 a mpg is not too bad...these might be in the running to replace the Duratracs in the not to distant future.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hankook tires   Hankook tires - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 1:40 pm

NC FJ Driver wrote:
1/2 a mpg is not too bad...these might be in the running to replace the Duratracs in the not to distant future.

Yeah I can live with that. I have to say most of my driving is on rural roads 50-60 mph. Very little city driving and very little interstate. I get less mpg when I am driving 70-75 mpg.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hankook tires   Hankook tires - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hankook tires
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2