NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th

Go down 
+15
DirtyRed
NCFJ1
Southeast Overland
NC FJ Driver
TacoWillie
Snewcombe93
lrgrnr
Imperial AT-FJ
2wheeldrive
crogers6569
yota15
Crazy Hube
iwashmycar
MadToy
bigdogdewey2
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage

Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Empty
PostSubject: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 3:58 pm

A small group of us will be heading to the Coal Creek OHV Park at Windrock on June 27th. This should be a 3 wheeling day event.

Tentative schedule:

Thursday, June 27th
10:30 - Meet up in Canton, NC
10:45 - Run Hurricane Creek Trail
Leave from there and head the the Windrock area.
Check into lodging and pick up trail passes

Friday, June 28th
Wheel all day

Saturday, June 29th
Wheel all day

Sunday, June 30th
Leave

Those who have mentioned going so far are planning on staying outside of the the park. A few of us are staying at Hilton - Double Tree. Rates are not bad, and is 5-10 minutes from the park. Information for the park can be found here: www.coalcreekohv.com

Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 4:05 pm

love to go but you guys are able to do these three days trips...im not able to do them...unless i take off of work..ill see what i can do...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 4:09 pm

You could leave REAL early Friday morning or come in late Thursday night. Then you would only have to take that Friday off.

You could also leave on Friday and just wheel the one day. Its a long trip for that, but should be some good, challenging wheeling.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 4:12 pm

I'm in. How long is the ride through Hurricane Creek?

Are there any trail maps online for Windrock?
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 4:13 pm

Put it on the calendar. Not sure which state we will even be living in come June lol. Sarah gradumicates in May and we are getting the frick out of Columbia!

Is Hurricane Creek like Richland?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 4:14 pm

yeah ill have to see what i can do...apparently my new job works 4 tens ...but as of right now they are working 4 tens + an eight on friday...so maybe by then it will be just the tens...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 4:22 pm

MadToy wrote:
I'm in. How long is the ride through Hurricane Creek?

Are there any trail maps online for Windrock?
I've only gone once, and I think 3-4 hours. We had to back track some.

I haven't found any maps online. They charge for that stuff, and it seems to be well guarded. Larry showed me one once. It was huge with tons of trails.

iwashmycar wrote:
Put it on the calendar. Not sure which state we will even be living in come June lol. Sarah gradumicates in May and we are getting the frick out of Columbia!

Is Hurricane Creek like Richland?

Richland road is easier, but has a few more obstacles than Hurricane creek. HC's trail is a little rougher, but no real obstacles to make it through/over.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 5:24 pm

I'm in, just need to make hotel reservations
Back to top Go down
yota15
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 12:22 pm

I'll pencil this in but I doubt I'll be able to get the time off from work.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 7:02 pm

Now I did my my E-Locker working today, but by this trip I am also hoping to be locked up front. This will be a blast
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 6:50 pm

Reserved me a cabin.... Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 7:45 pm

MadToy wrote:
Reserved me a cabin.... Smile
Does it come with a hot tub?
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 9:11 pm

Are the cabins pet friendly?
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 9:40 pm

No hot tub with this one unfortunately....

http://www.visualtour.com/applets/mobiviewer/viewer.aspx?t=2740288&sk=29
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 12:41 pm

cabins are pet friendly, the place is huge, make sure you go prepared.

IF you are exploring by map with no one to guide that is familiar with the trail system you can get in some hairy situations on fairly easy trails.

Back in the day i was there with a buddy in our explorers that were heavily modified and took a trail that was a fairly narrow shelf of dirt and rock with a drop on one side and steep bank to the other. We had to end up building ramps and bridges and using creative winching methods to bck back out of that trail because the bank collapsed between his truck and mine leaving about 1 tire track of trail remaining between us.

As far as the trail system it goes from gravel roads to wild rock crawling.

I would skip Hurricane creek and go explore a bit thursday at windrock. get the most time up there that you can because there is more to explore than you could do in a week.
Back to top Go down
2wheeldrive
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2wheeldrive

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 9:33 pm

How much are the cabins per night
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 9:45 pm

2wheeldrive wrote:
How much are the cabins per night

Look through my original post. There is a link to the park. On their website is a link for lodging. They have various cabins at various prices.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 10:54 pm

crogers6569 wrote:
cabins are pet friendly, the place is huge, make sure you go prepared.

IF you are exploring by map with no one to guide that is familiar with the trail system you can get in some hairy situations on fairly easy trails.

Back in the day i was there with a buddy in our explorers that were heavily modified and took a trail that was a fairly narrow shelf of dirt and rock with a drop on one side and steep bank to the other. We had to end up building ramps and bridges and using creative winching methods to bck back out of that trail because the bank collapsed between his truck and mine leaving about 1 tire track of trail remaining between us.

As far as the trail system it goes from gravel roads to wild rock crawling.

I would skip Hurricane creek and go explore a bit thursday at windrock. get the most time up there that you can because there is more to explore than you could do in a week.

Good info, thanks

So the new, nice cabins are dog friendly? I guess it comes as no surprise that the basic ones are, but I was realy looking at getting the decent single cabin if they'd take a dog as well
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

its a 5 and a half hour drive from my house...looks like i might be able to drive up on friday morning ...unless i can get the thursday off too...i would be camping LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 9:19 am

Mike we might be able to meet you at a designated spot around lunch time. This way you would still get 1.5 days of wheeling.
Back to top Go down
Imperial AT-FJ
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Imperial AT-FJ

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 11:42 am

Id be interested in this run, if it doesn't conflict with my summer classes...
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 7:36 pm

I might be able to make this run... Its a little ways out for me but Ill have to see as the time gets nearer
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 9:11 pm

yeah a day and a half of wheeling is good with me..ill try to make the whole thing but we'll see
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 4:33 pm

Here's a great thread to look through of a Jeep club's plans at Windrock last year. Lists the trails they rode each day, which were easy/moderate trails for the most part since they had mildly built Jeeps. Might be a good start for us to plan an itinerary.

They even featured one of Larry's videos in their planning.... Smile

http://www.tnjeeps.com/topic/692-april-13th-15th-coal-creek-windrock-group-ridecamping-trip/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 10:42 pm

good find
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th   Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Windrock/Coal Creek Trip June 27th
Page 1 of 14Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next