NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) Empty
PostSubject: Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy)   Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:54 pm

So my handheld radio CB wasn't cutting it. I didn't want to put in a complete system and wanted something I could easily take out. I also wanted to modify the FJ as little as possible. I know some of you guys love taking the panels off, but not me. My experience has been the more you remove the panels the more rattles appear. So my aversion towards rattles leads me away from removing panels. The whole process took me a little less than two hours. It could probably be less time, but I had to think through these things as I went.

Here is what I bought.

Big Bill Combo
For portability and simplicity of install (my fellow NCFJers advised me to this one) I switched out the Cobra radio for a Midland 75-822. This is all you need and I purchased it from WalcottCB.com. Shipping was $5 aand I had it in 4 days!

Looked at the FJ and determined how I was going to run to coax cable. Here is what I did. Correction here is the best way I found to do it after I worked some kinks out. Very Happy

First, unroll your cable to its full length and let it sit for a little bit. This will make it easier to work with later. I decided to go through the grommet for the rear door electrical wires. I removed the clip from the inside and then removed the rubber grommet from the clip. I cut a small nick into the rubber hosing. Just big enough to feed the radio end of the coax through the hose. I opened the clip and ran the cable through this. I fed the cable into the jack compartment leaving enough cable outside to reach the Bandi mount and antenna. The put everything back in place.

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) DSCN4275_zpsd7d655c2

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) DSCN4273_zps444beddd

I routed the coax cable through the outer rear compartment to keep it away from the jack/tools.

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) DSCN4280_zps608c04b4

The next thing I did was cut a 1" strip off of the antenna box. I used this to help feed the coax cable through the tight spots.

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) DSCN4260_zps788cb6f1

Now I fished the cardboard strip through the jack compartment to rear driver side seat (under the seat/cushion). Then I taped and pulled some string back through. Finally connecting the string to the cable I pulled it through the rear panel. At the seat side the opening is barely large enough for the cable end to come through. Slight pressure with the screwdriver provided enough gap to pull the end through. In the next picture the arrow shows where the opening/gap for the cable is going to be.

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) DSCN4262_zps930c71b0

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) DSCN4267_zps25dcc895

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) DSCN4268_zpsac247985

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) DSCN4271_zpsb66c423a

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) DSCN4272_zps1b0b09ff

The cable is then run through the passenger side belt latch loop. This worked perfectly as a guide for the cable keeping it out of the way of the seat. From there I ran it between the center console and the passenger seat. I made sure I had enough length at the end to make the connection to the CB easy. Once this part was run, I pushed up the cable under the center console lip. Its lose enough the easily get it under it, but tight enough to keep it in place and out of sight. I used this method until the cable end was behind the radio console.

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) DSCN4283_zps8f57f9a8

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) DSCN4285_zpse5c3b63b

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) DSCN4287_zps04ae9b84

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) DSCN4286_zpscc3ad321

Once complete this is the only part of the cable that is exposed. I can live with this. I zip tied it to the seat/cushion hinge to keep it from moving.

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) DSCN4291_zps2578f88b

Now to the Bandi mount and antenna install. A search in the blueroom will give you more info if you need it. I am going to highlight a few things of this part of the install. Run the coax cable to the hinge first and loop it over on the inside as shown in the next picture. You want to do this so the the cable will ultimately be above the fastening bolt on the bandi mount, but be on the back side of the rear door hinge. This can not be done once the bandi mount fastening bolt is in. (Learned the hard way)

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) DSCN4293_zpsbf8dbd17

Installed the bandi mount as instructed in other threads. Now I looped the cable over the bolt and fastened the antenna to the mount. Going over the fastening nut creates a confined channel for the cable so it will not be in the way of the hinge. It then ran the cable to the wiring harness and zip tied it.

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) DSCN4297_zps61ec8717

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) DSCN4294_zpsae098d36

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) DSCN4298_zps1d383126

So its done. I connected the midland radio using the coax cable and the power supply in the dash. When not in use the slack will the left behind the dash.

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) DSCN4290_zps0baf696e

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) DSCN4288_zps2feba794

Add now I am ready to give tours along Richland Road. Paul, you don't want to miss the next one.

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) DSCN4300_zpsbbd96ae1
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

PostSubject: Re: Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy)   Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 6:14 pm

Very nice job!. Looks great on there too!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343

PostSubject: Re: Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy)   Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 7:52 pm

"Paul, you don't want to miss this next one"?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy)   Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 8:12 pm

paulwardinc wrote:
"Paul, you don't want to miss this next one"?

The other Paul, and was referring to my tour guide insights on Richland Road.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy)   Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 10:22 pm

Ha, I'm ready, plugged in, tuned up, and itching for 12" to 18" of snow!!!

Also, LOVE that shifter knob! cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy)   Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 2:30 pm

Second on the shifter knob!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy)   Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 3:15 pm

So after thinking about it overnight, I decided to go back and reroute the coax under the kick plate and behind the radio console. It will be more of a pain to take it out, but if I decide to do something like Scott has done the cable will be there. So no exposed cable now and I didn't have to pull off any side panels except the small ones at the drivers feet.

It took about 15-20 minutes to reroute it. It took about 30 minutes to take out the dang kids seats and put them back in. I look forward to the days of not having car seats.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy)   Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 4:07 pm

Are you concerned with the antenna whipping back into the window when passing under low branches?

And booster seats are much easier to get in and out, so you only have a couple more years to go... Smile

Oh - and why is your truck so dirty???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy)   Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 4:27 pm

MadToy wrote:
Are you concerned with the antenna whipping back into the window when passing under low branches?

Oh - and why is your truck so dirty???

The antenna is pretty taught and the way the FJ's rear curves back, I don't know if it would hit. I am going to see how it does. I might switch the 3ft for a 2ft. With the flex spring and quick disconnect I think I will still be above the roof rack.

I honestly almost vacuumed the FJ today. Looking at the pictures last night, I was upset how dirty the inside was.
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

PostSubject: Re: Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy)   Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 4:42 pm

It does look like it would take a lot to get it to whip back into the truck. Even if it did it would probably be a very light tap. The 3' looks like a great length. I was going to ask if it was a 4'-er since it looked a bit on the tall side...I guess the spring and all that adds a lot.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343

PostSubject: Re: Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy)   Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 4:47 pm

The last picture is a little misleading because of the angle. I think I am about 1.5 ft about the rack.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy)   Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 6:35 pm

I think my 4' is too tal. I'll probably be going to a 3' in the future.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy)   Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 6:50 pm

MadToy wrote:

And booster seats are much easier to get in and out,

HAHA, very funny.

But I bet Brian can drive even without a booster seat

Razz
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy)   Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 7:39 pm

Brian you will have no issue with spring back from the antenna...never had it hit mine and when you actually pull it back it doesnt spring forward with that much spring...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy)   Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 8:00 pm

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. The spring is pretty tight. Like I said, if I need to I can switch down to a 2ft antenna. They are not that expensive.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy)   Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 8:02 pm

What didn't you like about the handheld? If it still works I will buy it from you next time we meet somewhere
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy)   Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Crazy Hube wrote:
What didn't you like about the handheld? If it still works I will buy it from you next time we meet somewhere
It wasn't bad. The reception was ok inside the cab with the attached antenna. In a large group on the trail I couldn't pick up the people in the rear. With the magnet based antenna you can place on the hood/roof it was a lot better. However this was awkward to hold with the antenna wire at the top and the power wire at the bottom. It was also larger. When I was by myself I threw it in the other seat, but when the wife was with me it was annoying trying to put it somewhere. There was really no place for it in the FJ.

To be honest I would have just used it, but the wife bought the new one for me for Christmas. She bought me a gopro for christmas, but that didnt work out. This was her alternate.

Cobra Road Trip
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy)   Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Simple, Non-invasive, CB Install for a Novice (Pic Heavy)
Page 1 of 1