NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

CB Radio Question

Go down 
+3
NC FJ Driver
iwashmycar
85runner
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 3:30 pm

Alright here is the short version of a long story. Wife bought me a GoPro for Christmas, it doesn't work the way we wanted it to so it was returned. She is getting me a better CB for my FJ. I am looking for something simple and easy. I think I am going with this:

Big Bill Combo

A few questions for you guys. Is there any reason why I should get this set-up? Are the additional spring and quick disconnect worth it? I know several are using something very similar. How easy is the install?

The description says "Or if you're looking for a convenient solution add a cigarette plug to the power cord for easy plug-n-play ability." Any suggestions about doing this?
Back to top Go down
85runner
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
85runner

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 3:39 pm

Well you'll at least want a spring for it so when it hits tree's and other little things wheeling or around town it doesn't snap the whip in half. And the quick disconnect is nice if you have to park in your garage or any garage with low clearances.
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 3:52 pm

Sounds like a good combo. I plan to get a bandi-style mount with a quick disconnect eventually. I probably wouldn't even use it on the trails since everyone is generally close enough together....or maybe get a 4' stick for the freeway, and a 2' one for everyday / wheeling / garage clearance.

Here is a good thread if you have not seen it
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/7685-cobra-75-wxst-bandi-mount-install.html

As far as the cig plug comment, I think it is made to hardwire, so they are just suggesting you can add on the plug to keep it removable...seems pointless if you are fully installing everything else, like the antenna.

If you want to just plug it into the dash, look at the Midlands one. No interface box like the Cobra....but the power and antenna branch off of the handset which can be annoying.....

Last edited by iwashmycar on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 3:55 pm

I'm running the spring, watch the Rebel Blvd video you shot right as I drop into the bowl, and I'm running the QD. I like parking in my garage, especially when everyone else is scraping frost/ice off their windshield and I'm not.

The antenna tuned with no problems and the radio/antenna worked well at the Gulches...well, except for the ham radio's I was picking up from Indiana, California and Texas!

I'd say the two items were well worth the $ I paid for them.
Back to top Go down
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
FJ Derek

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 4:06 pm

I have the same setup pretty much minus the spring and disconnect. I pieced mine together and got my Midland 75-822 from amazon and I think ended up saving $30 on the cb itself. But like I said no spring and disconnect but I've never ja any issues with the firestik and trees. Would be nice to have the disconnect though. That was pretty much a wasted ramble!
Back to top Go down

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 5:29 pm

Thanks guys. I will probably go ahead and get the spring and disconnect.
Back to top Go down

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 7:35 pm

Do you guys think a 2ft antenna versus a 3ft would significantly reduce reception on the trail?
Back to top Go down
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
FJ Derek

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 7:49 pm

Probably not on the trail but for the most part you want it to be over the roof to get range
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 8:36 pm

everything in that package is worth it..go with the 4' firestick and be done with it..the quick disconnect is a maybe in my opinion..but the rest of it is a good deal...most everybody if you remember last Xmas (year ago) got the Midland 75822 radio...only reason for the portability of it..but the cobra radio is awesome too...
Back to top Go down

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 9:04 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
everything in that package is worth it..go with the 4' firestick and be done with it..the quick disconnect is a maybe in my opinion..but the rest of it is a good deal...most everybody if you remember last Xmas (year ago) got the Midland 75822 radio...only reason for the portability of it..but the cobra radio is awesome too...

How is the Midland more portable than the cobra? Maybe I should go this route.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 9:28 pm

the midland has a battery body that you can take with you...just unplug it from the vehicle and slide it onto the battery and there ya go..
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 9:39 pm

Yeah that is the one I just got for Xmas.

Kind of slides in half... It came with 2 battery packs..one you can put regular AA batteries, and one you can put rechargeable AA ones in and connect it to an AC outlet to charge if you wish.

Here are pics I took from when I made a place for it to hang using a 3Mremoveable hook

It separates right above the Midlands logo

CB Radio Question IMG-20130103-00013

Went and drilled a hole in the clip so I could just hang it... works rather well.

CB Radio Question IMG-20130103-00015
Back to top Go down

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 9:45 pm

Adam, can you show me a picture of how it connects to the antenna wire?
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 9:48 pm

Pic from the net, but you get the idea... just goes off two ways... one to power and one antenna... Mine just runs under the passenger seat beside the back seat and woofer to the Lil Wil magnetic antenna.... I just leave it sitting in the cargo area unless Im doing highway trips

CB Radio Question IMG_3224

The only thing I wish it had (the Cobra doesnt either) is some sort of light up display. It does backlight if you hit the LIGHT button (for like 20 seconds?), but I wish the channel was light up all the time like on those big boxy CBs

I also dont like the exposed antenna connection on top for when you have it on battery (there is like an 8" antenna that is included). I need to find some little rubber cover for it sometime
Back to top Go down

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 9:59 pm

I like this. I really don't want to modify the inside of the FJ to much. I am with you on the unused antenna connection. I will have to cover that too!
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 10:00 pm

Basically the same setup I have with the Midland 75. I strongly recomment the quick disco and the spring. I keep mine on all the time and usually hop out at a drive thru and grab it off the bandi before I go thru. But ocassionally I forget, or the wife and or kids are driving. Then I am glad the spring it there and it just whips back and forth.

Here is my connection

CB Radio Question 8253-30-12002
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 10:02 pm

few more shots

CB Radio Question 8253-30-12001

CB Radio Question 8253-30-12004
Back to top Go down

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 10:03 pm

Yeah, I remember when you originally posted your set up. I really like what you've done.
Back to top Go down

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 10:05 pm

Where did you get the cover for the antenna port. That might be the solution to Adams dilemma?
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 10:10 pm

That one would be bigger, but it looks REALLY clean. I like.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 10:45 pm

i just go thru the drive thru and pull the lights and light grill down...i keep forgetting that the antenna is back there...
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 11:34 pm

The port cover is just a rubber cap that came from lowes...used to cover the end of a piece of tube, or pipe...larger ones would go on chair leg bottoms...came in a pack of 2...
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 2:02 pm

I figured out the cap situation for the top of the Midlands CB. Called a "BNC connector" so I searched BNC cap, and voila...tons of choices

example:

CB Radio Question 515_large_image

ordered a few of these. Hard to weed out all the sites that have a $50 min. order or bulk only... They're all from China anyway.

CB Radio Question 279222607_o

Last edited by iwashmycar on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 2:22 pm

That is not the same connection that I have for my radio. Mine screws on, but does not have the slotted locking thingy...just threads.
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 2:35 pm

Im trying to cap the thing on top of the Midlands unit itself just left of the Squelch knob....where you'd put the little 8" portable antenna.

The screw connection is different, yes. Screw one is "UHF" apparently

CB Radio Question Xx-97510_G2__38658.1324652600.1280.1280

CB Radio Question Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7IJCvuV8gGA9mX0DRLiC5HN54AySRimVLD3ZhDWp444dFBsqZ

Anywho, sorry for derailing the CB thread into a discussion on caps!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

CB Radio Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Radio Question   CB Radio Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CB Radio Question
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next