NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION

Go down 
+9
85runner
fjdarrell
NC FJ Driver
planemechFJ
FJ Derek
Southeast Overland
spotts78
NCFJ1
bigdogdewey2
13 posters
AuthorMessage
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Empty
PostSubject: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 11:53 pm

i would like to start a thread in hopes that we as a CLUB/GROUP can get something together and get proper instructions in recovery techniques and procedures. I would also like to propose that we do this for little or no money to those who want to partake in this. We have several members including myself who have winches, straps, hi-lifts, and other recovery tools. If we could have a place to do it without having to go thru hoops or deal with other groups or trail users that could distract and get in the way. Many of us do not have alot of experience in self recovery or recovery of others. I think this would be a great bonding experience and a very good way of learning MORE about the FJ, the Tacoma, the 4RNR, and even how to properly rescue Jeeps...

Discussion may henceforth begin at will.......
Back to top Go down
NCFJ1
VENDOR - HFS
VENDOR - HFS

PostSubject: Re: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 12:48 am

This is a good idea. Recovering an imobilized vehicle is a dangerous prospect. The forces involved in removing a vehicle that is stuck are huge and if used improperley can be very dangerous.

There is a thread on Pirate that gets into the kind of forces required to remove a vehicle and the type of equiptment required to do the job. I will look for it and post a link when I find it.

One HUGE item that I have seen time and time again during recovery operations are people using their OWN equiptment that they have never even practiced with. Using a winch or a high lift is not an inate talent, it is learned and takes practice. How many of us have Hi-Lifts straped to our rigs yeat have never once operated it, even in the driveway?

How many times have you seen someone using a winch, standing right in front of the rig directly in the path of a winch line should it break? The best feature I ever got with a winch is a remote control that allows me to stand away from the winching operation, more often than not, behind a tree.

When I use the winch on my rigs I keep the hood open. This provides a shield for someone sitting in the driver's seat keeping the RPMs up should the cable fail. I also clear the area of spectators as well, often to snide remarks from the people being asked to clear the area. That one always amazes me.

I think the oddest, if odd is the correct word, occurance I have ever seen was when I came across a recovery of a Jeep CJ7 where the winch cable of a second vehicle was attached to the front axle of the stuck Jeep. It ripped the axle right off the leaf spring on the side it was attached to and sent the group of Yahoos standing right next to it drinking beer scrambling. You just can't fix stupid.

I think that this is a good idea and am willing to help in any way that I can. I am no expert by any means, but I do understand what is involved in the safety involed as well as the physics.

DO NOT SKIMP ON RECOVERY GEAR!!!!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 1:49 am

I worked for two towing companies and also owned a small company myself. I have been to classes on vehicle recovery. I learned two things from all of it...#1.how to get the job done fast because the police wanted a scene cleared and #2 how to do it right and safely...
just because there is noone in the car doesnt mean that it cant be done safely...
im by no means an expert either but i have learned that the opposing forces that a vehicle can present are much much more than you even want to realize. The key is to control those forces. ive worked with full sized peterbuilts with 50 ton rotators to old Macks with twin line Holmes wreckers to International wreckers to rollbacks...i remember times that i arrived at a scene with a car in the ditch, position the truck, pull the line attach to the vehicle and tell cops to stand the "f" back...then throw an old quilted blanket over the winch line...the looks i would get were priceless...

it would be great if we could get someone to donate a vehicle so we could "play" with it in upside down situations, side pulls and the like without having to possibly damage a vehicle that doesnt need damaging....
Back to top Go down
spotts78
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
spotts78

PostSubject: Re: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 11:44 am

I'd be interested in this class!

I've got a '79 Wagoneer that we could practice on. It's already got some trail scars/body damage, so I'm not too worried about hurting it. Don't know about the upside down stuff though as I'm trying to sell it.
RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION IMG_5683
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 12:21 pm

If the forum can gather enough interest and we can agree on a time and place then I'd be happy to give a recovery class for no charge. The company has been doing this for the past couple of years at wheeling events. An hour class often ends up turning into a half day class or more when everyone jumps in with their questions. Good times...
Back to top Go down
http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
FJ Derek

PostSubject: Re: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 12:43 pm

We got a lesson with a rolled over jeep the other weekend at Uhwarrie!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 10:23 pm

FJ Derek wrote:
We got a lesson with a rolled over jeep the other weekend at Uhwarrie!

absolutely we did...Steve that would be really awesome if we could do something like this and you could help out ...i would like to see if there is a way that a "vehicle" could be donated for such a class... im sure we can get the interest as i know everyone could certainly benefit from it. i think also it would be a good time to get alot of people together, EAT, socialize and the like...we dont ALWAYS have to hit the trails or BWW to get together and have a good time.

Spotts do you mind if i ask what you are asking for the beast ??
Back to top Go down
spotts78
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
spotts78

PostSubject: Re: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 10:27 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:

Spotts do you mind if i ask what you are asking for the beast ??

Asking $3000
Here's my posting on craigslist: http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/3400877812.html
Back to top Go down
planemechFJ
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
planemechFJ

PostSubject: Re: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 3:38 am

I would be interested in something like this.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 9:53 pm

i would love to see more people interested in this... jsut to see if we can make it worthwhile...the more folks we can get in on this i think the more fun it will be...
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 10:36 pm

I'm sure interest will be high, I'd love to attend something like this, but location and time as always will drive actual participation...
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 11:33 pm

i agree Paul...thats why i want to get a jist of what the interest is...then we can try to plan ....
Back to top Go down
fjdarrell
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
fjdarrell

PostSubject: Re: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 11:35 pm

im in
Back to top Go down
85runner
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
85runner

PostSubject: Re: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 11:54 pm

We had our own little demonstration last weekend at Uwharrie. It's always good to be prepared and know how to use your equipment well.
RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION IMAG0227
Back to top Go down
boaterspence
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
boaterspence

PostSubject: Re: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 2:11 am

I'm in too
Back to top Go down
yota15
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 8:56 pm

Depending on where the meeting would be held I would like to be there. No offense but I can't afford to drive to Raleigh or the likes just for the day.
Back to top Go down
GreenGoblin
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 5:35 pm

Maybe we could do a recovery demonstration at the Spring Meet and Greet?
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 6:33 pm

yota15 wrote:
Depending on where the meeting would be held I would like to be there. No offense but I can't afford to drive to Raleigh or the likes just for the day.

does that mean you are NOT coming to the spring Show and meet and greet?

Also GreenGoblin does that mean you ARE coming to the spring show? we would love to add you to the list ....

As far as I know there should be NO REASON why we cant have a recovery class at the show...i think it would be a great idea...im sure that Steve Springs from Southeast Overland could help out with that...we will see what we can do about that but i think it would be a great idea...
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 2:44 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
As far as I know there should be NO REASON why we cant have a recovery class at the show...i think it would be a great idea...im sure that Steve Springs from Southeast Overland could help out with that...we will see what we can do about that but i think it would be a great idea...

If the organizers clear it I'm happy to put on a seminar. I'd need someone to watch my booth during that time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 6:40 pm

Southeast Overland wrote:
bigdogdewey2 wrote:

If the organizers clear it I'm happy to put on a seminar. I'd need someone to watch my booth during that time.

Steve sounds like a great idea! Let's talk this week. You have my mobile number I believe. If not pm me and I will send it to you
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 9:10 pm

David do you think that we might be able to do something on the "grassy knoll" on the other side of the street .....?? i think that might be a really good place for it...where we did the pictures last year...
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 9:31 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
David do you think that we might be able to do something on the "grassy knoll" on the other side of the street .....?? i think that might be a really good place for it...where we did the pictures last year...

let me check with John
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION   RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RECOVERY CLASS and RECOVERY ITEMS INSTRUCTION
Page 1 of 1