NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Suspension choice?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
planemechFJ
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
planemechFJ

Suspension choice? Empty
PostSubject: Suspension choice?   Suspension choice? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 2:03 pm

OK so I have pretty much decided on THIS LIFT.
Just wanted to ask opinions on it.
Quality?
Value?
Better option within that price +/- $200. ?
anybody with this setup?
Help me out, ready to pull the trigger but just wanted to check.
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

Suspension choice? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension choice?   Suspension choice? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 5:50 pm

That is basically the same lift I have except I have OME rear springs. I like mine a lot. High enough to get my 285/70/17s with room to spare. Looks good, rides good...
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

Suspension choice? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension choice?   Suspension choice? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 7:23 pm

For what it's worth, and I hope this helps you, I have the 5100's up front with stock springs set on the 4th notch(2.5")and Toytec superflex 2" rear springs with stock shocks in the rear. I have had this setup for 3 and a half years with several off-roading events to boot. So far I have had no issues at all. This setup also rides a little firmer than stock.

You could save yourself half the expense by going with just the front 5100's and the Toytec rear springs only. As far as having those stiffer front springs that come with the kit you posted I can say that I now have a Demello front bumper on mine which adds about 105 pounds to the nose. I did before and after measurements and the bumper did not bring the front of my FJ down at all. To me it still feels like the same smooth ride even with the extra nose weight.

I did my lift myself, no help except for taking the stock shock/spring assembly to a local tire shop where they disassembled them and swapped the springs and strut tops over to the 5100's. This cost me $25 and and about 10 minutes at the shop. Sure saved me the headache of using a spring compressor to separate them myself.

WHile it is my plan to eventually get the 5100 rear shocks the only thing I can say about the stock shocks is they do not have as much flex as the 5100's may have but it has not been an issue for me.

Just this year I had Light Racing upper control arms installed and that really helped in getting the alignment back into spec. While the alignment is not perfect it made a huge difference in the way it handles on the road. Really something to consider purchasing with the other half of the money you save.

There you have it, my experience with nearly the same setup as you posted. I personally find that kit a little more $$$$$ than I would want to spend but it is entirely your preference and what you feel better suits your needs.

EDIT:
I have also found you will hear mixed opinions on the front diff drop but I think it is unnecessary. My cv's are at most at a 10 degree angle with the vehicle sitting flat. The alternate option is to get the cv boot replacement bands that Steve sells at Southeast Overland. These will allow for adjustment to the bands should they become loose and grease starts to ooze from the boots. Mine are doing this now so I ordered the bands just this week.
Back to top Go down

Suspension choice? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension choice?   Suspension choice? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 8:27 pm

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger with a little Xmas present from ToyTec myself. I'm going to call them now and see if they will discount anymore knowing we are buying together?!?

Interested?
Back to top Go down
planemechFJ
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
planemechFJ

Suspension choice? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension choice?   Suspension choice? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 1:32 am

Scottydog wrote:
That is basically the same lift I have except I have OME rear springs. I like mine a lot. High enough to get my 285/70/17s with room to spare. Looks good, rides good...

Sun Cruiser 6 wrote:
For what it's worth, and I hope this helps you, I have the 5100's up front with stock springs set on the 4th notch(2.5")and Toytec superflex 2" rear springs with stock shocks in the rear. I have had this setup for 3 and a half years with several off-roading events to boot. So far I have had no issues at all. This setup also rides a little firmer than stock.

You could save yourself half the expense by going with just the front 5100's and the Toytec rear springs only. As far as having those stiffer front springs that come with the kit you posted I can say that I now have a Demello front bumper on mine which adds about 105 pounds to the nose. I did before and after measurements and the bumper did not bring the front of my FJ down at all. To me it still feels like the same smooth ride even with the extra nose weight.

I did my lift myself, no help except for taking the stock shock/spring assembly to a local tire shop where they disassembled them and swapped the springs and strut tops over to the 5100's. This cost me $25 and and about 10 minutes at the shop. Sure saved me the headache of using a spring compressor to separate them myself.

WHile it is my plan to eventually get the 5100 rear shocks the only thing I can say about the stock shocks is they do not have as much flex as the 5100's may have but it has not been an issue for me.

Just this year I had Light Racing upper control arms installed and that really helped in getting the alignment back into spec. While the alignment is not perfect it made a huge difference in the way it handles on the road. Really something to consider purchasing with the other half of the money you save.

There you have it, my experience with nearly the same setup as you posted. I personally find that kit a little more $$$$$ than I would want to spend but it is entirely your preference and what you feel better suits your needs.

EDIT:
I have also found you will hear mixed opinions on the front diff drop but I think it is unnecessary. My cv's are at most at a 10 degree angle with the vehicle sitting flat. The alternate option is to get the cv boot replacement bands that Steve sells at Southeast Overland. These will allow for adjustment to the bands should they become loose and grease starts to ooze from the boots. Mine are doing this now so I ordered the bands just this week.

Thanks for all of the info guys. I really appreciate hearing your reviews and experiences.

paulwardinc wrote:
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger with a little Xmas present from ToyTec myself. I'm going to call them now and see if they will discount anymore knowing we are buying together?!?

Interested?

Yes, I am definitely interested. Good idea.
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

Suspension choice? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension choice?   Suspension choice? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 11:33 am

Jami is dead on...I didn't look at the price yesterday. I think I spent $150 for my front 5100s, maybe $200 for the rear springs. I did the work myself. I am planning to swap out the rear shocks with some 5100s, but that is only another $150 or so...and no drop conversion.
Back to top Go down
planemechFJ
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
planemechFJ

Suspension choice? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension choice?   Suspension choice? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 2:43 am

Scottydog wrote:
Jami is dead on...I didn't look at the price yesterday. I think I spent $150 for my front 5100s, maybe $200 for the rear springs. I did the work myself. I am planning to swap out the rear shocks with some 5100s, but that is only another $150 or so...and no drop conversion.

Thank you also.

I did just go ahead and order the entire setup as posted in the link. I'm glad everyone seems to like 5100's and various spring setups.
I will keep you guys updated as this progresses and give you a review once they are finally installed.
I think I will be waiting until I get wheels and tires.

What does an FJ look like with 3" lift on stock wheels and tires?
Anybody got a pic?
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

Suspension choice? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension choice?   Suspension choice? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 8:48 pm

i might have a pic...ill take a look...but i think i deleted the pics from the ugly duckling days...lol
Back to top Go down

Suspension choice? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension choice?   Suspension choice? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 8:56 pm

Go to the blue room and take a look at pale riders photos of his truck on a 3 inch lift with stock wheels. I think it's under the ToyTec section.
Back to top Go down
planemechFJ
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
planemechFJ

Suspension choice? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension choice?   Suspension choice? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 2:24 am

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
i might have a pic...ill take a look...but i think i deleted the pics from the ugly duckling days...lol
Yeah that would be great if you had one.

paulwardinc wrote:
Go to the blue room and take a look at pale riders photos of his truck on a 3 inch lift with stock wheels. I think it's under the ToyTec section.
Will do. A google image search resulted some not so bad looking rigs.
I am considering getting some 285's and rolling that way for a bit just so I can get the lift put on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Suspension choice? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension choice?   Suspension choice? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suspension choice?
Page 1 of 1